Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thank you all for answering my noobish questions without flaming me (I must say, it's refreshing to be on a forum where people are mature and respectful).

Anyways, I had a couple more questions. First, can I do any real damage by mounting a curb? Sometimes when I park at the end of a row by a curb, I'll get too close to it and the passenger side of the car will mount it (then I back up and readjust). Also, the other day I made a U-turn too sharply and the back left wheel mounted the median and came back down again. Nothing seems to be wrong at all, and I have never mounted curbs at speeds of excess of 5mph but I am curious as to the possible damage.

Secondly, does anyone know how loud the speakers on the Touareg can go before they get damaged? Would it be at uncomfortably loud levels before any damage could occur? Has anyone experienced rattling with time?

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Maybe some road rash on your tires and wheels,don't know about the speaker durability.

·
Banned
118 Posts
First of all, figure out the size of your truck before you hurt someone or damage someones property...

I don't know about where you're at, but here, if you even scuff a curb, you don't get a license...

Second, I'm pretty sure I've blown a coupla my speakers so I don't that the can handle much...

Oh well... Good excuse for some Rockford Fosgates right???

·
Registered
14 Posts
One bit of general speaker advice. If you turn up the volume so loud that you're hearing distortion and the music breaking up, you're likely over driving the amplifier and it is clipping, which is bad for the speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

You want to turn it down to a level that the amp and speakers can sustain without audible distortion. This will help reduce your likelihood of damaging the speakers.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
The Touareg is an off-road sleeper, it can handle a lot so as long as you don't grind the rims too much you'll be fine. The OEM tire sidewalls are thicker too (I think). When I have my review mirror selector knob on "R" and go into reverse the mirror on the right reorients itself so I can see the curb, love that feature! I don't know about the speakers, I'd never go that loud.

·
Banned
118 Posts
The Touareg is an off-road sleeper, it can handle a lot so as long as you don't grind the rims too much you'll be fine. The OEM tire sidewalls are thicker too (I think). When I have my review mirror selector knob on "R" and go into reverse the mirror on the right reorients itself so I can see the curb, love that feature! I don't know about the speakers, I'd never go that loud.
You know what though???

As great as a feature as that is, why would they leave out the drivers side tilting??

Such a high vehicle makes it hard to see even the left side curb...

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Re: left mirror. I've never thought about it that way but yeah that would have been a nice touch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I certainly never go loud enough to hear distortion, but I am a teenager and have fairly typical teenaged friends who enjoy listening to techno at slightly obnoxious levels when arriving places. Nothing so loud that you would hear it in a nearby car if your windows are up. I must say I don't see the attraction of obnoxiously loud music- other than attention I suppose.

As for the rims, I've never edged the curb where my rims got scratched or anything, nor have I created any sort of damage to the curb such as scuffing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, how does almost redlining affect the car? For example, getting up to 5k RPMs in order to pass someone or whatever it may be. Not as a regular occurance, only when the situation warrants it (or when it's 1AM on a desert road with nothing but mountains, desert, a huge moon, and city lights in the distance and one is prone to the sudden onset urge to use Tip-Tronic to accelerate as fast as possible off the line).

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
By the way, how does almost redlining affect the car? For example, getting up to 5k RPMs in order to pass someone or whatever it may be. Not as a regular occurance, only when the situation warrants it (or when it's 1AM on a desert road with nothing but mountains, desert, a huge moon, and city lights in the distance and one is prone to the sudden onset urge to use Tip-Tronic to accelerate as fast as possible off the line).
As long as your engine is up to normal operating temperature before you attempt any kind of WOT, and it's well maintained, (fresh oil, good plugs, 100% running coils, clean air filter, fuel filter, etc), most of these germanic engines can take a "beating." So I wouldn't worry about that at all. You won't be significantly dimishing the life cycle of your pistons by indulging yourself, or giving it an occasional "Italian tuneup" ;)

Don't forget that the V8/VR6 engines are not model specific to only the Touareg. They are used in other Audi/VW models, that are much more sporting in nature than the Touareg, with their end user driving them even harder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
9,691 Posts
You don't have to worry about redlining it even in Tip since it will shift before you can do that anyhow. I have tried it before and it won't let you do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
One bit of general speaker advice. If you turn up the volume so loud that you're hearing distortion and the music breaking up, you're likely over driving the amplifier and it is clipping, which is bad for the speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

You want to turn it down to a level that the amp and speakers can sustain without audible distortion. This will help reduce your likelihood of damaging the speakers.[/quote]............and your hearing !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts