Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Touareg Tdi with 155,xxx miles.
When braking at 70-80 mph the steering wheel shakes violently, it doesn't do it everytime but most of the time and it only does it at those speeds never when driving slower. I put new rotors and pads on and it still does it. The rotors are in their proper position. Any thoughts on why it does this?

Update: Test drove a 2013 Touareg Tdi exec (70k miles) yesterday. Wanted to make sure this one didn't have the shake that My 2011 had. Got it on the freeway at high speed down hill, heavy brake and the steering wheel starts shaking pretty bad. Only about half of what my 2011 did though, but my 2011 had double the miles.
I can't be the only one this is happening to in two different vehicles. Am I the only person that drives 80 sometimes? These vehicles were made in autobahn territory. This can't be normal.

When I say violent shaking I mean I think a wheel is about ready to break off.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Worn suspension parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2005 v-6 shook like a $2 whore at speeds of 70+, Only to find out down the road that my driveshaft support bearing was giving away ( after I bought new tires/balance etc )

I would check that bearing.. had the same amount of miles as yours did.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
2011 Touareg Tdi with 155,xxx miles.
When braking at 70-80 mph the steering wheel shakes violently, it doesn't do it everytime but most of the time and it only does it at those speeds never when driving slower. I put new rotors and pads on and it still does it. The rotors are in their proper position. Any thoughts on why it does this?

Update: Test drove a 2013 Touareg Tdi exec (70k miles) yesterday. Wanted to make sure this one didn't have the shake that My 2011 had. Got it on the freeway at high speed down hill, heavy brake and the steering wheel starts shaking pretty bad. Only about half of what my 2011 did though, but my 2011 had double the miles.
I can't be the only one this is happening to in two different vehicles. Am I the only person that drives 80 sometimes? These vehicles were made in autobahn territory. This can't be normal.

When I say violent shaking I mean I think a wheel is about ready to break off.
Improperly bedded brake pads and rotors.

Have a look at the brake rotors. Are they smooth and have no dark areas?

Follow this procedure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

You can do the procedure to see if it burns off any pad residue on the rotor.

When where the pads and rotors last replaced? Have the rotors been replaced at all? If not, that's your issue.

Replace the rotors and your problem will be cured. I have never had this issue on mine, just replaced front rotors with OEM at 120K miles. bedded in properly. Nice and smooth.

Since your car has 155K miles. Might be rotors.

Check tire pressures, suspension and engine mounts. But a big question, what size wheels and tires? 19,20"? If so, get them rebalanced and check wheels for any issues. OEM wheels or aftermarket (what kind/size).

If you do the bed in procedure, make sure you do not put your foot on the brake after, this will displace pad material on the rotor again and you are back to the same issues. Follow the procedure, and when you get up to 60mph and brake down, make sure you have enough room and time to cool the rotors down before another round. So you will need to do this somewhere safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2005 v-6 shook like a $2 whore at speeds of 70+, Only to find out down the road that my driveshaft support bearing was giving away ( after I bought new tires/balance etc )

I would check that bearing.. had the same amount of miles as yours did.
Improperly bedded brake pads and rotors.

Have a look at the brake rotors. Are they smooth and have no dark areas?

Follow this procedure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

You can do the procedure to see if it burns off any pad residue on the rotor.

When where the pads and rotors last replaced? Have the rotors been replaced at all? If not, that's your issue.

Replace the rotors and your problem will be cured. I have never had this issue on mine, just replaced front rotors with OEM at 120K miles. bedded in properly. Nice and smooth.

Since your car has 155K miles. Might be rotors.

Check tire pressures, suspension and engine mounts. But a big question, what size wheels and tires? 19,20"? If so, get them rebalanced and check wheels for any issues. OEM wheels or aftermarket (what kind/size).

If you do the bed in procedure, make sure you do not put your foot on the brake after, this will displace pad material on the rotor again and you are back to the same issues. Follow the procedure, and when you get up to 60mph and brake down, make sure you have enough room and time to cool the rotors down before another round. So you will need to do this somewhere safe.

Good info in these posts.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts