Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I recently bought an 04 Treg, the V8 version. I picked it up with under 53k miles on it for under $10k, which I was pretty happy about! I bought it from a Toyota dealership who had it from a trade-in. Before I picked it up, I noticed in a photo that the TPMS system was not working. They told me they'd sort it out prior to me picking it up. The day I picked it up, they told me that despite replacing all 4 sensors, that it still didnt work and most likely just needed a long drive to recalibrate but if it didnt, they'd sort it out through my local VW dealership. The TPMS system never did sort itself out and on the 100mile plus drive home, the engine light came on too, which they also said they'd sort out via the VW dealership

Treg went to VW today and they told me that the TPMS repair is $1650 and the engine light corresponds to a vacuum brake pump fault, but needs more diagnosis.

I wonder how the Toyota dealership is gonna play this one? They said they'll "arrange for everything to be taken care of", but I can imagine if a repair costs ~$3k it may not be so clear cut...

Watch this space :)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They probably want to replace all the wheel sensors at retail price, plus mount and balance your tires.

My brake vacuum pump line was cracked on the line over the passenger side (US) head. I put a hose clamp on it and it's happy so far.

Hopefully you got their promise in writing. In most states, verbal promises are worth the paper they're written on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They probably want to replace all the wheel sensors at retail price, plus mount and balance your tires.

My brake vacuum pump line was cracked on the line over the passenger side (US) head. I put a hose clamp on it and it's happy so far.

Hopefully you got their promise in writing. In most states, verbal promises are worth the paper they're written on.
VW says 2 pressure sensors faulty plus the control module. (these are going for under a hundred bucks on eBay though!)

I have the correspondance all in email, so written. Hope it won't be necessary to bring that up though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
When they work, they're great, solid cars. You paid for low mileage...hopefully it all sorts for you. Repairs are not necessarily cheap, but this site has lots of info if you master the search function.

second gen T3s are boring compared to early t1s

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like you probably got a good deal.
Let the VW dealer and Toy dealer sort things out as promised.
Just be firm but nice about what you were promised.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hi Guys

I recently bought an 04 Treg, the V8 version. I picked it up with under 53k miles on it for under $10k, which I was pretty happy about! I bought it from a Toyota dealership who had it from a trade-in. Before I picked it up, I noticed in a photo that the TPMS system was not working. They told me they'd sort it out prior to me picking it up. The day I picked it up, they told me that despite replacing all 4 sensors, that it still didnt work and most likely just needed a long drive to recalibrate but if it didnt, they'd sort it out through my local VW dealership. The TPMS system never did sort itself out and on the 100mile plus drive home, the engine light came on too, which they also said they'd sort out via the VW dealership

Treg went to VW today and they told me that the TPMS repair is $1650 and the engine light corresponds to a vacuum brake pump fault, but needs more diagnosis.

I wonder how the Toyota dealership is gonna play this one? They said they'll "arrange for everything to be taken care of", but I can imagine if a repair costs ~$3k it may not be so clear cut...

Watch this space :)
Key item on an early V8 is the timing belt. These should be changed at 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.

Unless yours has definitely been changed along with the tensioners, the water pump and the thermostat, it is overdue by about 7 years.

If it lets go, your engine is toast.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think you can disable the TPMS on the T1s can't you? Not that that helps with fixing it, but if you don't want to pay $1xxx to get it working, you could just go the old fashioned way...my 2007 didn't come with it (thank goodness!)

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
Pull the fuse for the TPMS and recode the module. Simple to turn it off, but you need VCDS to do it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
FSJ, you got the TPMS deactivated on a USA 08'? I would LOVE to do this, but thought after 07' or 08' it wasn't possible???

I have a set of 17" Canyons just waiting for a set of BFG ATs when the 19" Nexen Roadians on the Terras finally die...thing is the 17"s don't have TPMS and my 19" TPMS sensors are going on six years...

I feel OEM is best for TPMS, but they have been sitting in a warehouse for how long (and now have old batteries)...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I modified the instrument cluster and other things for ROW. That allowed high beams with fog lights as well as the ability to turn off TPMS in the MFD (multi-function display).

I can look tomorrow and see which module it was. I found most of the info here. There's a VCDS mods thread for the T1/T2 somewhere here. It probably was in there or on RossTech's website.

I wanted to do it for the same reason you are. I have a set of 17" wheels that I'll put on this summer to (hopefully) go 4 wheeling. I don't need TPMS screaming at me that I'm only at 15 PSI when that's where I want to be. :- )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy to report that the toyota dealer coughed up $2700 for a TPMS repair as well as a repair to some wiring to a vacuum pump. In the end the controller module and all four sensors were replaced.

I am really amazed that this all went through so simply and honestly!

1st car buying experience here in the USA has been very good!

regarding the timing belt. I doubt it's been changed as the car only has 52k miles on it. Being engineering minded, I'd doubt the age of the timing belt is very important compared to the miles its driven... I'll play the gamble though and wait tilll the 80k service for that.

Loving the treg now though. Its a super smooth engine and really does not feel wallowy like my last SUV (07 Hyundai Santa Fe)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Happy to report that the toyota dealer coughed up $2700 for a TPMS repair as well as a repair to some wiring to a vacuum pump. In the end the controller module and all four sensors were replaced.

I am really amazed that this all went through so simply and honestly!

1st car buying experience here in the USA has been very good!

regarding the timing belt. I doubt it's been changed as the car only has 52k miles on it. Being engineering minded, I'd doubt the age of the timing belt is very important compared to the miles its driven... I'll play the gamble though and wait tilll the 80k service for that.

Loving the treg now though. Its a super smooth engine and really does not feel wallowy like my last SUV (07 Hyundai Santa Fe)
If you look at the specs of the timing belt OEMs, belts of that era usually had a 8 year life. Considering that rubber of cord is similar to tires, and the fact that 6 to 8 year old tires are starting to be recommended to be replaced, and the cost of a broken belt, I would put it on the short list of items to get serviced.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Change that belt NOW along with the water pump, thermostat and tensioners.

You are already several years into borrowed time and if the belt lets go the engine is toast.

I strongly recommend you change the ATF, diff oils and transfer case oil too. Get the latter in the right 850ml bottle from your VW dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Change that belt NOW along with the water pump, thermostat and tensioners.

You are already several years into borrowed time and if the belt lets go the engine is toast.

I strongly recommend you change the ATF, diff oils and transfer case oil too. Get the latter in the right 850ml bottle from your VW dealer.
Thanks for the heads up!

I'll get some quotes from VW for all of this work

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Try and find a good independent workshop which has worked on Touaregs or Porsche Cayennes [same car, different badge] where prices will be a lot lower but the expertise should still be as good if not better!

·
Registered
438 Posts
X10 on the local independent shop.
The dealer is about he worst place to take a car once you are 5 or so years past new.

There best customers and newest cars will get assigned to the best techs, and you will get the oil change guy who hopes to move up.

On to the cost every nut, bolt and screw will be charged at full dealer retail, as will all the time at book rate, even double charging you when some work is required for multiple tasks.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
X10 on the local independent shop. The dealer is about he worst place to take a car once you are 5 or so years past new.
Golz Motors in Deerfield. Good shop for German vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
X10 on the local independent shop.
The dealer is about he worst place to take a car once you are 5 or so years past new.

There best customers and newest cars will get assigned to the best techs, and you will get the oil change guy who hopes to move up.

On to the cost every nut, bolt and screw will be charged at full dealer retail, as will all the time at book rate, even double charging you when some work is required for multiple tasks.
Thanks for the tip!

Anyone Colorado locals here can recommend and independant garage in the Denver/Boulder area?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts