Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my A/C repaired under extended warranty last fall. My extended warranty would pay for a restricted oriface (which in a VW is the Thermal Expansion Valve) if needed under the failed compressor, but the shop didn't swap it (either of them, it's a V10 with dual a/c). I don't use my A/C much - maybe a few hours last year after the repair. This spring - it worked for awhile, then quite. Brought to the shop - they say it's the Thermal Expansion Valve :frown2: Extended warranty doesn't apply since it's not the compressor.
Now - I'm a former Ford Factory Tech - we ALWAYS swapped the restricted oriface with a failed compressor - AND the accumulator/drier - both for the same reason: you can't flush out ALL the bits of failed compressor pistons/seals from those parts.

So - Fine. I paid for it out of pocket. Diag, parts, labor - $900 and change.

It worked! For about 3 days. Then - hmm. No A/C - and I notice - no rear A/C.

Bring to the shop - oh - my new compressor has failed. It has a 3 year/36k warranty - hurray.......

But they aren't giving me $900 back - any of it. They say it's not related.

I can't see how the failed compressor DIDN'T plug the thermal expansion valves.

They say: Your valves are fine now, the compressor swap will bring your A/C back to life. We'll flush it all out, the A/C will work.

I say: If it was the compressor failed now, it was on it's way out a week ago (actually several weeks now, but a week from valve swap to no A/C again).

BTW - if you didn't know, Alaska has set all-time records for heat. For me a hot day is 75 - it's been hitting 90's. Interior Alaska has that sometimes - here in Anchorage and Wasilla - almost never.

And I am starting to suspect a failed blend-door. It makes 105F air when set on coldest setting and Econ.

So - VW technicians - Can you flush an expansion valve? Is there an accumulator/drier or equivalent? When replacing a A/C compressor - do you just flush out the rest of the system?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No hits? I go into their office tomorrow to discus the issue with foreman and owner. I will keep an open mind, I like this shop. I don't want to try to do this stuff myself, it's why I bought the premium warranty that covers most everything. I have the skills I don't have the time or space to do it. But I would like to hear what the standard process is for a VW system with a failed ac compressor before the meeting tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - they are going to look in the system - I got their lead tech to agree to the idea that a failed compressor will put crud thru the system, and that it would cause the Thermal Expansion Valves to stop working if it did.

He also explained to me that the A/C runs year round - :( - when I said no, not below about 39F (a number I had from my old tech days - I found later the system has a code when it won't run due to cold - 8 = Compressor off (outside temperature was less than 1.5°C and is still less than 2.5 °C) - and it's more like 35. Whatever. Alaska, winter, not running the AC - the r135 needs to be a gas not a liquid. He also explained the ac clutch "dithers" to run the ac. Hmm. No . It's a variable displacement pump, with a swash plate. I don't think the V10 AC has a clutch at all .

So - they want to replace the failed pump - flush - and try again. I'm concerned they won't get the crud out completely - again. I wait another week. Temps are down this week into the 60s...so much nicer.

Should they swap the Accumulator? I'd have replaced the the expansion valves back when I was doing this stuff: but maybe they aren't as susceptible as a restricted oriface to clogging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts