Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of months, my blower fan would sometimes cut out while using the A/C. When this happens, the fan bar indicator shows positive (if I raise or lower the fan speed, the bars increase or decrease accordingly) but the fan is not turning. If I shut off the A/C and turn it back on, neither the fan nor the compressor turns on. Later on, they may work again. Obviously something is on the way out and I hope to correct it.

I recently read that the Passat had a similar problem and it had to do with the a/c relay #384, but I haven't been able to confirm if that problem is shared with the Touareg. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
Lots of threads on this forum about this. It is usually the blower motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. In my vehicle there are no unusual sounds, vibrations or other of the symptoms consistent with a failing blower motor. Also, my Touareg has less than 40,000 miles on it. Although it is possible, that is quite low mileage for a blower motor failure. It seems to me that the relay is more likely the problem. I was hoping to find someone who had the same symptoms as I described above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
I have never heard of a relay problem with the fan in the Touareg.

There is a resister pack, which is mounted directly behind the glove box (and above the fan motor) that has been the problem about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time, it has been the actual fan motor.

Once again, I have never heard of a relay problem with the fan in the Touareg.

The problem is almost always the brushes in the fan motor have worn out. A few people have had the fan motor rebuilt, which means a local guy takes it apart and puts new brushes in the motor. Most just buy a replacement motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
My 2005 Fan Motor was replaced due to the same symtom. Looking at the original, the brushes were worn all the way down. Replace the Brushes..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Me too!

I'm having this same problem on my 2011 Touareg. Can't seem to figure out what is causing it to cut out or start working. It has not cut out while the vehicle has been running but it has turned back on while running. I can also hear the compressor kicking in when I turn the fan back on

I replaced the cabin air filter hoping it was causing it to possibly overheat and shut off but no luck. Talked to the dealer and they said its either the blower motor or could be an electrical issue - hoping it's not electrical. From what I can tell most people say it's worn out bushings on the blower motor itself.

Will update when I found out more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Forgot to mention the dealer said when the fan is working and if all speeds are functional then it will not be the resistor pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I just experienced the same issue on my 2012, was working intermittently, ordered a new fan from a 3rd party, will see if it fix the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
90% of the time, it is the brushes have worn out in the fan motor. A new fan motor is the most common fix.

Please let us know when you get it working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
90% of the time, it is the brushes have worn out in the fan motor. A new fan motor is the most common fix.

Please let us know when you get it working.
I received the blower motor today. Installed it start the car with awesome fan speed. Here I attach the model I bought. Good luck guys.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thanks supersbk. I had the same problem with my 2015 and ordered the new fan using your link. Got it installed in about an hour and now all is good again. I did notice that the VDO sticker was actually placed over the Bosch sticker meaning what I got was actually the OEM part just for a LOT less.

After I got everything back together I decided to check out the brushes in the old motor. They were only about 50% worn, but there was a ton of carbon buildup. Cleaned it up using my air compressor and stuck it on the shelf. No idea if it’s working again though... since I already had everything buttoned back up in my Touareg I didn’t try to test it after cleaning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Same problem here I think I just ordered the same VDO part. In hindsight wish I would have gotten a different brand if it is problematic. It did come with lifetime warrantee.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top