Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes (about 10% of the time) when I start my treg, the RNS stays at a black screen and won't start. Sometimes it eventually will turn on, but only after 30+ minutes of driving, if at all. When it's in this state, none of the buttons respond to inputs at all (5 button reboot does nothing). Killing the ignition and then restarting everything doesn't help. The display in the instrument cluster still works, but if I select Navigation, Phone, or Media I just get a "System is Starting" message. Most of the time the system starts just fine with no issues.

I've only had the car for a few weeks, but I *think* it might be heat related, as it seems to happen on hot days, but it doesn't happen on every hot day, and yesterday was the hottest day yet since I bought the car and it was parked with the dash roasting in the sun all day (was doing this to test my hypothesis) and it started just fine at 3pm, so I'm really not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions? Similar experiences?

I plan to replace any applicable fuses, but I've never seen a problem like this from a bad fuse so I expect that to be fruitless.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If the service department doesn't see it in the act, it never happened. They won't warranty ANYTHING unless they can see it fail. Get your self an action camera and mount it to show your radio headset each time you start the car, save all the video and eventually I'm sure you'll catch it. you will need this as evidence.

If you have a decent service department, they may keep your Treg and start it up occasionally to see if they can reproduce the problem.

My RNS-850 has always had a LOUD pop/crack noise come out of the speakers, REGARDLESS of when it is on or not. RANDOM and annoying. Impossible to reproduce for VW techs, so therefore, NO WARRANTY. I gave up after two tries with them.

I'll be setting up my action camera to catch it happening soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the service department doesn't see it in the act, it never happened. They won't warranty ANYTHING unless they can see it fail. Get your self an action camera and mount it to show your radio headset each time you start the car, save all the video and eventually I'm sure you'll catch it. you will need this as evidence.

If you have a decent service department, they may keep your Treg and start it up occasionally to see if they can reproduce the problem.

My RNS-850 has always had a LOUD pop/crack noise come out of the speakers, REGARDLESS of when it is on or not. RANDOM and annoying. Impossible to reproduce for VW techs, so therefore, NO WARRANTY. I gave up after two tries with them.

I'll be setting up my action camera to catch it happening soon.
Unfortunately, I'm on my own on this one. The powertrain is still under warranty for another 2 years, but nothing else, and there's no way I'm paying stealership shop time rates to diagnose an intermittent electrical issue.

If your luck is like mine, you'll get your camera setup and it will never happen again. Then you'll take it down and "POP!"

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm having a different issue where the dealer messed up a firmware update and the system doesn't fully boot properly.

One solution I've pondered is just buying a used RNS-850 off e-bay and swapping it. Might be worth a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced a few fuses. None of them looked bad, but I haven't had an issue yet. It's only a few data points so I'm still doubtful that it was a fuse issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts