Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing what seems like endless research on this subject as im planning to change the fluid in my Touareg. I know the VW spec is for G 055 540 A2 and I know there are plenty of compatible synthetic alternatives but in my country (Canada) they are not readily available and once I factor in shipping and exchange from the USA I might as well go down to the dealer and empty my wallet for their fluid.....well actually someones elses fluid with their part number on it. Anyways to the point of my thread. If all of these alternative G 055 540 A2 fluids are WS compatible such as Pentosin, Liqui Moly, Ravenol T-WS etc.....what would be the downfall of just using the factory Toyota WS. At around $8/L and available down the street at the local Toyota dealer it seems like a no brainer but perhaps there is a reason the discussion always ends up with the more exotic brands/fluids??

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
For the 6 speed Touareg Transmission, the correct Toyota fluid is a 100% accepted and proven transmission fluid.

As you know, these are Aisin transmissions, not made by VW, that should be perfectly happy with any correctly specified Aisin fluid.

Aisin even sells bottles of Aisin branded fluid that you could get.

I don't see any reason why things would be any different for the 8 speed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sure. Most likely fine.

I use Motul ATF VI or Aisin Fluid. Toyota if you choose which is most likely just Aisin Fluid with their label. Ravenol is great too but Motul is 100% Synthetic.

Ravenol is a great one too. 8HP
RAVENOL ATF 8HP Fluid is suitable for use in the latest 8HP-Series transmissions including: ZF 8HP45, 8HP55, 6HP26, 8HP70, 8HP90, and also 6-Stroke automatic 6HP-Series transmissions including: 6HP19X for AUDI Q7, 6HP19A, and 6HP28AF.
  • VW/AUDI G 060162 A1/A2/A6
  • VW G 055 162
or the T-WS
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime is automatic transmission oil ATF on the basis of the latest technology of the HC/HT hydrocrack oils and PAO. Because of the special formulation the durability is twice the time than a comparable Aisin ATF oil. RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime fulfils the latest transmission oil specifications for sequential automatic transmissions of Toyota and Aisin Warner. RAVENOL T-WS meets all fluid specifications for Aisin 6 and 8 Speed automatic transmissions.
  • VW/Audi G 055 540 A1
  • VW/Audi G 055 540 A2
  • VW/Audi G 055 540 A6
  • VW G055540A2
-----------------------------
Motul:
Motul ATF VI

VW- G 055005 A1 / A2 / A6, G 055162 A1 / A2 / A6, G 060162 A1 / A2 / A6 ATF, G055540

Toyota- ATF WS, ATF Type T-IV, JWS 3324, NWS 9638, # 00289-ATFWS, #08886-02303, #08886-02305, #08886-80803

Aisin Warner - AW-1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Toyota WS should be a direct replacement for the G 055 540 A2 fluid but it seems that either nobody actually uses it or nobody want to admit they use it. If I had easier access to one of the synthetic fluids I would use them but the cost of getting them doesnt seem to justify the hassle when on paper the humble Toyota WS should be suitable. Maybe because its not synthetic (not actually sure if it is or isnt but for the price im assuming its not) people are hesitant? Anyways I dont want to rant about this, I feel like if it was a good idea then it would be more well documented which is my only hesitation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 V8 with 250k miles on the original trans.
I first started putting toyota ATF Type T-IV five years ago at 200k and it literally stopped my trans from slipping severely. Five years later at 250k now, I plan on flushing my trans again with toyota Type T-IV with a new filter. No slipping, no weird shifting, no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the positive feedback. I have been using Mobil ATF 3309 in my 2010 Touareg TDI (6 speed) which is the same spec as the Toyota type T-IV that you mentioned. It has worked fine so far and performs the same as the factory fluid. This is why I would think the 2014 TDI with the 8 speed would be fine with the Toyota WS but before I swap it out I just wanted to run it by the "community". It just surprises me that it isn't more discussions about it as the cost difference is kind of a big deal. In Canada the factory VW fluid is around $45/L from the dealer which is insane.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
VW prices are sometimes beyond insane.

FWIW I personally have no problem running the Toyota fluid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on, nice to hear from people who are actually using the Toyota WS as a substitute for the VW G 055 540 A2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
According to a russian touareg forum, plenty of touareg owners use Toyota WS fluid in Russia with no issues whatsoever.
In my case, I opted for Liquimoly Toptec 1800. So far, so good.

Gabriel

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to a russian touareg forum, plenty of touareg owners use Toyota WS fluid in Russia with no issues whatsoever.
In my case, I opted for Liquimoly Toptec 1800. So far, so good.

Gabriel
Thanks for the response. I can get the Liqui moly toptec 1800 for around $15/L if I buy a 20L bulk pail. Im tempted to go with that instead of the WS as I believe the Liqui moly is synthetic and the WS is not. I alot of towing so I don't mind spending alittle more on a "better" fluid its just that it has to be ordered and shipping these days can take more time. I had a look at the specs comparing the Toptec1800 and the Toyota WS and they appear to be very similar with the exception of the flash/boiling point where the Toptec in clearly better but this might be higher than one would ever subject their transmission to anyways. Long story short Im confident the WS is suitable for most applications. If I had easy access to a better fluid I would use it but this time around its getting the WS

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
670 Posts
Is the original VW G 055 540 A2 synthetic? I have 9L along with all the gaskets/o-rings/filter/spacers needed to do the transmission service that I got from Europaparts.com.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the original VW G 055 540 A2 synthetic? I have 9L along with all the gaskets/o-rings/filter/spacers needed to do the transmission service that I got from Europaparts.com.
I believe the factory fluid is synthetic. VW does not make their own fluid and in this case it has been rumoured to be a rebadged Pentosin fluid but I can't confirm that. For some reason its all a big secret and its likely because they want people to shell out $$$$ at the dealer in fear they will use the wrong fluid if they dont.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your transmission is built by Aisin who supplies transmissions to all major auto producers in the world. I think probably most all fluid producers have a suitable product. In the states, I would recommend FCP Euro as a source. They show a complete kit for my Touareg with filter, gasket, plug and Febi G055025A2 fluid for just $170US, and free shipping at least in the states. Strangely, if you look at the fluid details it says not compatible, although I have found their documentation lacking in many cases. I expect they also have compatible fluid from several other producers and they sell Aisin ATF for Volvo 8-Speed trannies, which I expect is the same as stuff Aisin puts in VWs, for only $8/L. It almost seems that the hundreds of vehicle manufacturer specs are just marketing gimmicks to sell products at outrageous prices at the dealerships. Perhaps a good transmission shop could shed more light on fluid specs and compatibility. They might have better information directly from the transmission manufacturers. At any rate, another remarkable feature with FCP Euro is that they warrantee everything they sell, even fluids. If you want to change the fluid annually, you can return the original purchased product for a full refund. Just pour the used fluid back in the new containers and pay postage. They encourage this, it is their advertising campaign. The only thing they won't replace is tires, because they don't sell tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been doing what seems like endless research on this subject as im planning to change the fluid in my Touareg. I know the VW spec is for G 055 540 A2 and I know there are plenty of compatible synthetic alternatives but in my country (Canada) they are not readily available and once I factor in shipping and exchange from the USA I might as well go down to the dealer and empty my wallet for their fluid.....well actually someones elses fluid with their part number on it. Anyways to the point of my thread. If all of these alternative G 055 540 A2 fluids are WS compatible such as Pentosin, Liqui Moly, Ravenol T-WS etc.....what would be the downfall of just using the factory Toyota WS. At around $8/L and available down the street at the local Toyota dealer it seems like a no brainer but perhaps there is a reason the discussion always ends up with the more exotic brands/fluids??
I use liquid moly in my 2004 Touareg V8 and have used it for years and am impressed with their line of products.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I see a 20L (21.1 qt) bottle of Top Tec ATF 1800 on Amazon US for 124.67 currently.

Granted, we only need about 12 quarts, but that is a good price per quart.

ManufacturerLiqui Moly
BrandLiqui Moly
Model20034
Item Weight44.8 pounds
Product Dimensions15.25 x 15 x 7 inches
Additional Information
ASINB07GHVQ7MR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts