Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I bought my 2004 v8 about 2 months ago, now has 3,000 miles. I recently took it in for a few problems

1. Clicking noise (kind of like a gas burner) when I accelerate.

2. Air conditioning sucks.

3. Most worrysome...8 miles per gallon, best being 11 mpg on a long road trip.

Is this a typical mpg?! The guy at VW said to document my miles (keep reciepts etc.) but even if i AM getting only 8 mpg they probably still won't do anything for me. Well, I've documented about 6 tanks, still the same. About 260 miles a tank. I AM NOT AN INSANE DRIVER! Please help...

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you go to the "2" group of information on the MFI, what does it say for your average MPG? The "2" group should have pretty much all your miles driven since the beginning...

I have a V8, with 3,717 miles on it, and my "2" Group on MFI shows average MPG of 14.2 over 3,710 miles (not sure where the other 7 miles went to). The average MPH for the period was 29, as I do a lot of city driving... and, I am very heavy footed on take-offs, etc.

So, I would say that if you have somewhere around 8 (or even 11) in your "2" Group of MFI, for 3,000 miles, then there is something wrong on your V8...

Let us know what you find...

D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Stefinsb said:
If I am not mistaken, this sound is normal when you accelerate hard with the V-8. Mine has made this noise since the day I bought it and I hear it most when I really step on it with the windows down.

8 MPG seems very low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, my V8 clicks too when im pushi9ng it and it sounds great!
Stefinsb said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I bought my 2004 v8 about 2 months ago, now has 3,000 miles. I recently took it in for a few problems

2. Air conditioning sucks.

3. Most worrysome...8 miles per gallon, best being 11 mpg on a long road trip.

Is this a typical mpg?! The guy at VW said to document my miles (keep reciepts etc.) but even if i AM getting only 8 mpg they probably still won't do anything for me. Well, I've documented about 6 tanks, still the same. About 260 miles a tank. I AM NOT AN INSANE DRIVER! Please help...
:wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
"""If I am not mistaken, this sound is normal when you accelerate hard with the V-8. Mine has made this noise since the day I bought it and I hear it most when I really step on it with the windows down. """

I have noticed the clicking noise when I do not put in Premium Gas... If I put in the 92-premium gas, there is no clicking noise!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I have taken my Touareg into the shop to have some things fixed.

They are telling me the noise is from a diverter(sp?) valve that takes any extra air and emits it from the engine to avoid bogging (V8 Only). I hate the noise and will test drive another Touareg this weekend to see if it is consistent on all.

I had the trans flashed and it rides amazing now. They also flashed something on the remotes and they work from much farther distances now.

My average gas mileage is 14.2 city and highway, straight out on the highway I get 16.9, not bad for the power and my driving habits.

Jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
lvtouareg said:
"""If I am not mistaken, this sound is normal when you accelerate hard with the V-8. Mine has made this noise since the day I bought it and I hear it most when I really step on it with the windows down. """

I have noticed the clicking noise when I do not put in Premium Gas... If I put in the 92-premium gas, there is no clicking noise!
That clicking noise is detonation. Unless you would like to have your pistons changed, I suggest you use the correct octane rating. If you cost it out over the whole year, the difference is negligible. Especially compared to the cost of an engine R&R.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Why then would detonation (the uncontrolled, explosive ignition of fuel/air mixture) occur even with the use of recommended 91 octane?

I have heard the clicking noise since day one and have used mostly Shell 91 octane V-Power fuel.

I can understand your point if you are running 87 vs. 91

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wonder about it being detonation because my previous experience with Audi engines is that as soon as there is a misfire of any sort it is logged and the check engine light comes on. When I would have my check engine light come on the dealer would hook up their vag tool and download the log files. It would indicate the number of misfires or whatever down to each instance, what bank, and cause. In many cases detonation would happen just once then the engine management would adjust to fix the problem, usually leaving the engine running in a degraded performance mode. I had a bad spark plug once that was running hot causing detonation. The dealer tracked it down right away. They mentioned that because of the anti-ping features of the engine management when this sort of issue comes up the engine adjusts to prevent immediate damage to itself even if it has to run in a degraded performance mode. They also mentioned that running in a degraded mode is not good over the long haul.

I would hope that VW would not take this feature out of the engine management on the Audi V8s. I would think if detonation was a problem the check engine light would be on.

Also, putting less than the recommend octane in an engine is bad for it. Basically causes it to run in a degraded mode that is not the designed for normal operation. That is why they have the minimum recommended octane rating in the gas cap cover.

However, the sound that is being described does not sound normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.