Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Touareg tdi, air suspension, etc
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has high mileage but the box has been totally unobtrusive until a month or so ago when driving the car from cold up a reasonable hill using very light throttle, the 3-4 shift became a two stage affair with an occasional thump as it engaged. After driving about 2 Km the gearbox resumed it's normal performance and all changes were just normal. It doesn't happen if the car is driven on flat roads from cold.

I'll do an oil and filter change anyway but having looked at the huge amount of information on the web, it could be one or more of a number of things that produce similar symptoms: valve body, torque converter, even wiring is mentioned.

As a trial I reset the gearbox operating parameters and the difference is quite amazing, if a little subtle. I would recommend this as a start point if the reset is an available option for your model to see if it makes any difference. I certainly noticed that the two stage 3-4 shift had gone and the shifts were quicker. Also the predicted range to empty actually went up by 30 Km, although the correlation here is not one that I expected or can attribute to the shift parameter changes.

I have no idea what "learned" changes are applied to the shift program as a result of the way you drive but I would prefer to have set parameters rather than an artificial intelligence assessment of changes required to pair with your driving style. It's a high mile car and thus gets treated gently and I can see how a light foot can confuse the shift program.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
I have no idea what "learned" changes are applied to the shift program as a result of the way you drive but I would prefer to have set parameters rather than an artificial intelligence assessment of changes required to pair with your driving style.
Glad to hear the "reset" helped out with the shifting and I agree that I'd rather just have shifts occur at preset parameters also. Especially since my driving is not always the same. I'm guessing the "learned shifting" is to help with fuel economy.

Reactions: Tiliqua

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A "for info" update that after more than a week and a 500 Km trip today, the gearbox symptoms that I had prior to the reset have not re-appeared (yet).

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
A "for info" update that after more than a week and a 500 Km trip today, the gearbox symptoms that I had prior to the reset have not re-appeared (yet).
Nice!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
How did you rest the gearbox as consensus here seems to be that there is more than one way it can be done but one way only for a “proper” reset?
tonyB

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turn ignition on but don't start, fully depress accellerator pedal for more than 10 seconds then turn off the ignition. In my case there was a subtle but distinct change in transmission shift behaviour. I had what seemed to be a two stage shift between 3 and 4, that has completely gone and it is a single seamless shift now. Most noticeable is I need less pedal to move the car forward or reverse, i.e. the transmission engages and the car starts to move with very little pedal movement, whereas before you needed to depress the pedal some way to get movement. I had thought that normal as you don't want rapid throttle response off road.
Since I bought the car the shift quality had decreased in recent times but this is now as good or better than when I first drove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts