Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been hitting quite a few trails locally to the Colorado frontrange, so I figured I would go ahead and organize a small Touareg trail event.

Dakan road will be a little more challenging than Long Hollow Road, but both of these trails are suitable for Touaregs and both should allow for some great scenery and fun day of off-roading.

Who is in? :)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've been itching to hit the trails... but this is the weekend the concrete contractor will be getting my backyard patio area done.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I should be in...

So, I (I should really say we - the family's coming too of course) should definitely be able to make it either weekend. Any interests in doing Hidden Valley along the way? I looked it up on traildamage and it should prove to be a pretty nice challenge.

Also, wondering if you guys had any interests in running the trails in reverse order with Long Hollow first. That way depending on completion time, there would be time to check out the outlets at Castle Rock.

Just questions and comments.

But either way, we're in.

Ben K.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually, now that I reread through Hidden Valley - I'm actually a little concerned. Unless someone has personal experience, I'm retracting my suggestion for the additional trail.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Hidden valley looks totally do able but if you are unfamiliar with how the Touareg handles and likes to 'hang' wheels in the air, it will be a little disconcerting at first. Bring a tow strap.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hidden valley looks totally do able but if you are unfamiliar with how the Touareg handles and likes to 'hang' wheels in the air, it will be a little disconcerting at first. Bring a tow strap.
Interesting, I don't know that I feel that comfortable with that yet. I've only had the wheels barely off the ground, never too high.

Maybe after a few more difficult runs we can hack it.

But back to the topic at hand. Who else is with us for the 13th (or 20th - don't know if the 13th is solid yet)?

Ben K.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So, another thought.

If you guys still wanted to start in Castle Rock, once we finish Long Hollow, if time permits, there is always Missouri and Illinois Gulch to explore (Illinois being a challenge - but it's supposed to have a spectacular view from the top).

Also, that way if people need to head home, they could easily branch off here and head down 67.

Really looking forward to it and hopefully more people can attend.

Ben K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done both Missouri and Illinois Gultch. Both are fun trails, but that's a lot of trails for one day -- If time permits, maybe we can do one of those in addition to Dakan and Long Hollow.

I'll likely be organizing little Touareg events like this once a month during the summer for anyone who wants to join. Missouri, Illinois, and Long Hollow are all good trails to do in one day and will likely be something that I'd put on for the next trail run.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Done!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dakan Road

So got this update on Dakan Road - didn't know if you were aware of this.

From FrontRange4x4:
"Don't be disappointed when you do Dakan. They smoothed it all off last year because of all the private residences there and now you can drive a Smart Car on it and have a smooth ride. We came back that way from the Illinois Gulch run and it wasn't even the same road...Basically, it isn't even worth doing anymore as it isn't even scenic..all you see are trees.

A variation that may be fun (or more fun) is, instead of doing Dakan, take the Jackson Creek Road (a little west of the Dakan turn off) and when it dead ends, take the hard right turn and follow that. It is certainly harder and the scenery is the same. At least you have some big bumps and hills. This road exits out by Shamballah Ashrama, then meanders down to Sedalia. This variation shows up really well on the maps, too, so it isn't hard to find."

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I can get up there in time, I might be in too!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well that sucks about Dakan Road. Since it looks like it's just you and I that will be doing this, I'm open for whatever.
Question: I know you did Illinois with some of the guys on FrontRange - how bad was that? Did the TReg do alright?

I was thinking - maybe doing Illinois (some guys on FrontRange want to do it again) and then maybe go up Missouri?

Other suggestions would be cool too of course.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
8 Participants
sirius815
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing