Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 4XMOTION w/Air Suspension
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just wanted to relate my recent experience making a trip to the North West of Western Australia in my 2011 7P 4XMotion.

The first time I did a trip like this was in a 1962 Landrover Series 2. That was back in 1994. That was followed by a new Toyota 4Runner in 1996, then in 98 a used Nissan Pathfinder 3 door from 1992. Since 1998 I haven't done any offroading at all and there were heaps of places I wanted to see again.

Given how bad the roads were back then I was a little concerned the Touareg was going to break....I need not have worried. However I made sure it was given a major service, fitted new discs and pads and had a mild tune done on the ECU. I also fitted a Provent 200 catch can.

We loaded it up with a Front Runner roof rack and wind deflector, 'Razed' roof top box (made in Australia and freaking awesome) plus a full 105Ah lithium battery install under the rear floor. A spare wheel was hung off the back on a locally made Mirack swing out spare wheel mount.

The rear seats were taken out and I made a platform to fit a fridge and water bottles onto. The rear airbags were deactivated with VCDS so the light didn't stay on. Gave us heaps more space too. Those rear seats a re VERY heavy as well so this helped with the GVM.

I'd already fitted new Dunlop Grandtrek AT25's 265/60/18 which gave an extra 15mm ground clearance. These were new takeoffs from a Toyota Prado. The Toyota guys drive straight from the dealer to the tyre shop for serious AT's here so there are always cheap top quality factory fit tyres for sale cheap.

In three laps around the country I have NEVER had a flat, although admittedly I used to use Dunlop Adventurer tyres which were 8 ply tread and sidewall. These Grandtreks are no where near as serious but I was keen to see if the Toyota guys were wasting their time. On road these tyres are silent and offer really good grip wet or dry.

The roads up the WA coast were actually even worse this time than I remembered. So much traffic due to Covid overseas travel restrictions so everyone is holidaying at home. Severe corrugations for hundreds and hundreds of kilometres. Really rough, sharp stones in the Pilbara on gravel roads that apparently hadn't been graded in three years.

To help smooth things out for us on the gravel / offroad sections I left the suspension in standard height mode, set the shocks to comfort and reduced tyre pressure to around 20psi.

Running these pressures meant there was zero tyre damage from sharp stones. The conditions usually meant that going over 80km/h was impossible anyway.

Even doing all that, the new Dometic CFX55 fridge started to die in the first week......it was that rough.

Long story short, the Touareg had no issues at all, performed perfectly, passed countless LandCruiser 200's and Prado's on the rough stuff and was incredibly comfortable to cover the long distances needed. The recovery gear didn't get used once and no flat or damaged tyres.

Anyway, you guys want pics right?

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Cloud Sky Tire Plant Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive design Automotive exterior

Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable Gas Electronic component

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,566 Posts
was the fridge 'strapped down'?

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg 3.0 TDI
29 Posts
Looks fantastic, did you find the catch can a worthwhile addition? Straight forward install? Also after dealing with a stone through the air con condensor on my daughters Honda, I think the mesh protection over the front air intakes are a great idea especially on those roads.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,888 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
Disable airbags, why?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm also travelling around the WA coast (bush camp near Denham at the moment). Surprised we didn't cross paths. So few Tregs out here so you tend to notice, especially filthy ones like yours and mine!
We killed a fridge on the roads out here too - getting a warranty replacement in the next few days so looking forward to more than 1 ice cold beer (limited space in the c'van fridge).

Here we are at Cape Peron...beautiful part of the world.

Sky Car Tire Vehicle Ecoregion

Good times!

How did the Mirack wheel holder go on the corries? Considering grabbing one while over here...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looks fantastic, did you find the catch can a worthwhile addition? Straight forward install? Also after dealing with a stone through the air con condensor on my daughters Honda, I think the mesh protection over the front air intakes are a great idea especially on those roads.
Yes I did find it to be a good thing. Drained during the service last week and it produced around 100ml of oil so better out than in.

I purchased a Provent kit that was meant to be suitable for the 2011 Touareg but when it arrived there was no way it was going to fit as the pipes were all too short. I think the kit was designed for a 2015. Ended up buying some silicone hose and a couple of plastic hose adapters and got it done.

Being the best wildflower season in something like 20 years I knew there'd be heaps of bugs around so the mesh was something I really wanted to fit. Was particularly worried about clogging up the intercoolers. It's a home made thing which thankfully worked really well. Had the extra bonus of making the Treg look a bit more hardcore too lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also travelling around the WA coast (bush camp near Denham at the moment). Surprised we didn't cross paths. So few Tregs out here so you tend to notice, especially filthy ones like yours and mine!
We killed a fridge on the roads out here too - getting a warranty replacement in the next few days so looking forward to more than 1 ice cold beer (limited space in the c'van fridge).

Here we are at Cape Peron...beautiful part of the world.

View attachment 247694

Good times!

How did the Mirack wheel holder go on the corries? Considering grabbing one while over here...
Oh I missed this post sorry, Yes the 'roads' at Francois Peron are pretty bad just now. It was the tracks around Warrora station that killed our fridge.

The Mirack wheel holder was great and had no problem handling the roads. I did secure it a little better than stock though with a metal shim to stop the vertical movement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
Disable airbags, why?
The rear seats were taken out of the car and with the wires disconnected the airbag light stayed permanently on. Just a detail thing really. Only the rear ones were disabled not the whole lot front and rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts