Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone know how hard it would be to swap a 5.2 V10 from a C6 S6 into a V8 Touraeg?

I think it would be relatively easy, the Touareg had bigger engines from factory such as the W12 and the V10 twin turbo, and both the 5.2 V10 and the 4.2 V8 are based on the same design ( the V10 is essencially the V8 with 2 extra cylinders) both are FSI fueled and both are longitudinally mounted engines

Without accounting for the ECU, and wire harness , do you guys think the engine swap itself would be 'fairly plug-n-play' ?

Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
No, not at all, there are so many differences and upgrades between the two vehicles that it's not feasible. buy a v10 touareg if you want a v10

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You would be into a world of pain you would wish you had never started.

As others have said, if you want a V10, buy a V10.

By the way, there are 2 ECUs for the V10, one master, one slave, and once programmed as such, they stay that way.

And you'd need a new prop shaft too - the V10's is shorter.

But in reality, you would be far, far, FAR better off buying the newer V8 Tdi which I think was/is available in your country.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the 5.2 petrol v10.

Which I think is near impossible.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
In that case let's all tell him it really is as simple as he clearly thinks it is and ask to him to post photos of his progress.

Then we can run a sweepstake on when he finally stops updating this thread having finally realised he has bitten off more than he can chew!

Or, on the other hand, congratulate him in about two years time for having achieved his aim!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Winner gets a new prop shaft bearing? Just felt that famous thump yesterday haha
Don't forget your prop shaft is shorter than other Touaregs if you go for a replacement shaft!

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Rule of thumb is don't build what you can buy. In this case you certainly can't buy it and it sure would be sexy as hell to have a Lamborghini/R8/S6/S8 V10 under the hood.

Obviously the gasoline powered 5.2 normally aspirated V10 found in the aforementioned vehicles has nothing at all in common with the 5.0 V10 twin turbo TDI.

Plug and play would be a stretch...There will very likely be some serious work involved. That said you'd end up with an exceptionally unique vehicle.

If it was my dime however, I'd go with a W12 swap. Rationale is that it absolutely fits, parts diagrams exist for this exact configuration, parts themselves can be ordered through a VW dealer, there isn't any engineering involved. If you want to talk plug and play, this would be as close as you can get for an engine swap. IMO the W12 sound trumps the 5.2 V10 sound....and the W12 resides in the Bentley :). If you're feeling ambitious, go with the twin turbo W12 out of a Continental. If you want something less insane, get the normally aspirated W12 out of an A8 or Phaeton.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personal choice stay away from the tubbies go for the W12 NA. Fewer problems and the cheaper option. Assuming you can get a W12 and gearbox for the right price, but as I was crucified because I want to re map my V10, why, the gearbox wont take it, I am a wanker and whatever else you would like to call me, then the answer is why?

If it comes down to sound, just put a straight through exhaust. with a solenoid switch to route the exhaust either straight through or via the Mufflers. Many old rodders did that as a simple way of switching from street to track.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Personal choice stay away from the tubbies go for the W12 NA. Fewer problems and the cheaper option. Assuming you can get a W12 and gearbox for the right price, but as I was crucified because I want to re map my V10, why, the gearbox wont take it, I am a wanker and whatever else you would like to call me, then the answer is why? If it comes down to sound, just put a straight through exhaust. with a solenoid switch to route the exhaust either straight through or via the Mufflers. Many old rodders did that as a simple way of switching from street to track.
Shouldn't need a new gearbox. The same gearbox in the R50 handles 627 ft. lb. of torque just fine.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love the way the turbos are placed, how have he done that ? if he can do that on a W12 then we can do it on a V10 (secretly I am thinking that the W12 is shorter engine by probably two pistons length). I think it is just a little longer than the V6 engine.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I think you are correct...the W12 is based on two VR6s (hence the W). The 5.2 V10 is based on two of the 2.5L inline 5s.

I'm not sure if the VR6 is shorter than an inline 5...but the original purpose of the VR6 was to fit a 6 cyl in the length of a 4 cyl engine compartment...back the the 2.8L VR6 days

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
John Zoom
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing