Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I only bought my 2015 Touareg 4Motion with the belief that it would be ok to occasionally hit the beach otherwise I would have bought something else.

Imagine my frustration when I just found out I couldn't book a beach permit for Stradbroke as they have recently changed the rules not to allow all wheel drive vehicles on the beach anymore. Apparently they may be doing this to other beaches in Queensland as well.

Its annoying because I also bought a second set of wheels to be more suitable for beach driving.

Has anyone else come across this before ?

Also has anyone really given the 4motion a real go in the sand in the soft stuff with proper tyres ? Is it likely to get bogged.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the quote from the website;

NOTE: All-wheel-drive vehicles, motor bikes and quad-bikes are not permitted in the Recreation Area. Should you be found with a permit affixed to an all-wheel-drive vehicle, the permit will be confiscated and any fees paid will be forfeited.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,195 Posts
That's not an issue between 4WD and AWD, it's an issue that 4WD/AWD vehicles, motorbike and quads are all banned - only 2wd vehicles allowed.

There are that many different versions of 4x4, 4wd and awd that no single distinction is possible.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I can remember many years ago doing Straddie in a Moke with some mates. That thing went everywhere the proper 4WDs went but because of it being so light four of us could grab a corner to pick it up and carry it over any problems we came across. Annoyed the 4WDs :)
So according to the website that old moke is permitted but a Touraeg not, oh you can take your Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 over which is a jacked up Golf AWD, go figure.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
switch to offroad mode and disable esp. Deflate the tyres and it will perform great on sand.

Pull away slowly and when stopping release brakes the last few meters so it rolls to a stop on its own. If the sand is soft, reverse on your tracks a couple meters and then go forward.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Here is the quote from the website;

NOTE: All-wheel-drive vehicles, motor bikes and quad-bikes are not permitted in the Recreation Area. Should you be found with a permit affixed to an all-wheel-drive vehicle, the permit will be confiscated and any fees paid will be forfeited.
Just looked on their website - it's only in the Recreation Area that 4wd/Awd is banned - the page starts:-
"North Stradbroke Island has great four-wheel-drive bush tracks and kilometres of sandy beaches you can drive on. Vehicle Access Permits are required for driving in designated beach and bush areas on the Island"
4WD | Straddie Camping.

What's the issue not being allowed in one specific area?

·
Registered
2008 T2 3L TDI
24 Posts
On the website I see the conditions of issue for a permit refer to a"4wd vehicle". Rainer. Yes my post was confusing. Sorry. I tried to write that unless you have a 4wd...And I assume the definition of a 4wd is a vehicle like the T1 or T2 that has a centre diff lock or a "traditional" 4wd that operates in 2wd... Until the centre diff is engaged for 4wd , is that you are not eligible for a permit to drive in the recreational areas....which I figure are the beaches etc... My suspicion of the reasons as to the why is that this situation has come about to stop the use of so called "soft roaders" on the island (Not suggesting the T3 falls into that category but it may be a victim of the nanny state rules). I could be wrong but it's my 10 cents worth as I read it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
On the website I see the conditions of issue for a permit refer to a"4wd vehicle". Rainer. Yes my post was confusing. Sorry. I tried to write that unless you have a 4wd...And I assume the definition of a 4wd is a vehicle like the T1 or T2 that has a centre diff lock or a "traditional" 4wd that operates in 2wd... Until the centre diff is engaged for 4wd , is that you are not eligible for a permit to drive in the recreational areas....which I figure are the beaches etc... My suspicion of the reasons as to the why is that this situation has come about to stop the use of so called "soft roaders" on the island (Not suggesting the T3 falls into that category but it may be a victim of the nanny state rules). I could be wrong but it's my 10 cents worth as I read it.
The Stradbroke website refers to 4wd and all-wheel drive interchangeably

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys, Here is there response to me via email

" Thank you for your enquiry regarding Four Wheel Driving on North Stradbroke Island.

Do you have the ability to put your vehicle into low range by use of a button or separate gear stick? Or can you lock your hubs manually?

If the answer to either one of those questions is yes then you can buy one and travel on the beach. However if you cannot do either of these things you cannot drive on the beaches here on North Stradbroke Island."

Comments ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Guys,

I only bought my 2015 Touareg 4Motion with the belief that it would be ok to occasionally hit the beach otherwise I would have bought something else.

Imagine my frustration when I just found out I couldn't book a beach permit for Stradbroke as they have recently changed the rules not to allow all wheel drive vehicles on the beach anymore. Apparently they may be doing this to other beaches in Queensland as well.

Its annoying because I also bought a second set of wheels to be more suitable for beach driving.

Has anyone else come across this before ?

Also has anyone really given the 4motion a real go in the sand in the soft stuff with proper tyres ? Is it likely to get bogged.

Cheers

Lee

Lee, out of interest (and for my own personal knowledge living on the Gold Coast), I called Stradbroke and asked about the 4WD Access Permit restrictions and how they distinguish between 4WD and AWD. Very interesting call:
* (Stradbroke) you need to be able to press a button for low gear
* (Me) sorry, I have a VW Amarok which doesn't have low-range, it is an 8-speed auto and has very low gearing - same one Pat Callinan drives around Australia on his 4WD show. It has a system called 4Motion that distributes drive to both front and rear axles.
* (Stradbroke) then that should be ok. Just as long as you have a button for low gears
* (Me) no, again I do not have that button. I have very low ratio gears, but not low-range. I do have a switch I can select for offroad
* (Stradbroke, the person checks with another in the office), yes that should be all ok, no problem. What we are concerned about are vehicles like the Ford Territory that get bogged easily in sand. And "Main Beach" is the one that causes most problems, which has very soft sand.

I would suggest there is no great issue, btw I don't have an Amarok I have the Touareg 4xMotion (but I travel with a mate with an Amarok). I would carry a copy of the 4Motion explanation... the UK website has a good one, which would be convincing (4MOTION : Volkswagen UK), and mention if you were pulled up, the Touareg has:
* selectable offroad mode
* has torsen centre differential runs a 40%/60% (front/rear axle split)
* has EDL (rear diff lock)
* has hill descent
* has 300mm ground clearance, better than a Prado or Landcruiser

The bottom line is.... getting bogged in the sand is much more the driver, not the car.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Guys, Here is there response to me via email

" Thank you for your enquiry regarding Four Wheel Driving on North Stradbroke Island.

Do you have the ability to put your vehicle into low range by use of a button or separate gear stick? Or can you lock your hubs manually?

If the answer to either one of those questions is yes then you can buy one and travel on the beach. However if you cannot do either of these things you cannot drive on the beaches here on North Stradbroke Island."

Comments ?

Lee, I was doing my research whilst you were doing yours. See my telephone conversation earlier. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Paul.

I think either way we would have to get it in writing otherwise on the day the ranger may turn up and take
the permit.

It still seems unclear to me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Paul.

I think either way we would have to get it in writing otherwise on the day the ranger may turn up and take
the permit.

It still seems unclear to me.

It's unclear Lee because their reasoning doesn't make sense. I would challenge it and talk with a senior decision maker... and ask, "the standard Amarok that Pat Callinan's crew has driven across the Simpson and all around Moreton and Fraser Islands is not allowed to be driven on Stradbroke - is that your ruling?". Use the Amarok as the basis as it is well-know (later you can argue the Touareg has the same 4Motion, but has better 300mm clearance). If they said no for the Amarok, ask them to put in writing that you can not get a 4WD Access Permit for an Amarok on Stradbroke.... would make a great interest story to share publicly. I'm sure someone like Pat Callinan would champion the story :).

In saying all that, I can understand what their concern is with people bringing soft roaders with very limited off-road capability to Stradbroke - so there is a balance needed. But the Stradbroke "rule makers" need to clarify exactly what is allowed and what is not in writing and on their website. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already sent them another email stating Ive seen several Amarok's on the beach and the setup is almost identical.

Although I dont have any difflocks. I wish we could still get the X-Motion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the reply guys;

"If the car has selectable Offroad Mode then that is also fine. If you need to do anything manually to put it into 4WD or a low range then that’s all good. It is only the cars that do not have any manual ability to change the mode of travel that we don’t allow.

I hope this helps you. And yes I understand it is frustrating when you see cars you know should not be there but they have to be on the beach at the time that the National Park Rangers are there also for anything to be done about it "

Now what do you think ?

Lee

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here's the reply guys;

"If the car has selectable Offroad Mode then that is also fine. If you need to do anything manually to put it into 4WD or a low range then that’s all good. It is only the cars that do not have any manual ability to change the mode of travel that we don’t allow.

I hope this helps you. And yes I understand it is frustrating when you see cars you know should not be there but they have to be on the beach at the time that the National Park Rangers are there also for anything to be done about it "

Now what do you think ?

Lee
Have fun on Stradbroke Lee :). The response confirms my call this morning when I said I have a switch to select "offroad mode", they talked with someone else and confirmed ok (mind you, it wasn't convincing).

One recommendation, start with 18-20 psi all round with your tyre pressures. And best to carry a snatchem strap and/or maxtracks (shouldn't need them, but best to have).

How much to get out there with the ferry? If interested and depending on timing, we may be able to join on your first trip?

Cheers Paul.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts