Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two different answers from two different dealers. So, I'm going right to the source and asking those that have air suspension. Do it make the driver smooter? One deal told me it was for offroading purposes only. The other dealer told me it would be a smoother ride overall. Would be great to get some inputs. Thanks.

· Registered
37 Posts
My best advise is to test drive each and decide for your self. I purchased the air suspension but I did test drive the steel springs. I found both to be comfortable rides and both handled reasonably.

For me it is nice to be able to lower the Treg on the highway for better handling and have the option of raising it up higher when off roading. Although I have yet to get my new treg really off road yet. but it will happen.

Good luck.

· Registered
29 Posts
We had air on the 04 and that was the only requirement we had for the 05. We put 36k miles on the 04 in 12 months and the ride with air is the best I've ever experienced. Also needed the extra height a couple of times crossing creeks.

· Registered
104 Posts
Drove both on bad roads (now being fixed - Thanks Ahnold).

The air on "comfort" was perceptively smoother.

Transitioning from pounding off-road in "drive and tip","offroad", and "comfort" to hitting apexes in "sport", "auto", and "sport" is an added bonus with air.

· Registered
94 Posts
My 2 cents worth.
The air is very much worth it. It is the reason I bought the treg. I normally drove a 95 Bronco and was very happy with it until I had back surgery and felt every little bump in the road. The treg air set on comfort is really smooth. I have spent a lot of time in Lincoln Town Cars (which have air also) and the treg comes close to the Town car in smoothness. All the othe neat stuff it does is just gravy.

· Registered
114 Posts
I like putting it on "Load Level" and being able to wash the top of the car without a step stool! :joy:

· Registered
45 Posts
Air-Suspension or not? Air-Suspension!!!!!

For the time beeing I am investigating whether to buy the Touareg, the Cayenne or BMW X5. I have one clear demand, and that is that the car shall have air-suspension. That gives a totally different experience when driving. Better comfort, better eveything.
(I am an old Citroen-driver, and the suspension in Citroen is totally superior. Air-suspension is very similar)

Talking to dealers, it appears to me they dont understand what this is. They are mumbing about convenience when loading the trunk of the car, raising the car when crossing rivers or snow etc. They have no concept that the airsuspension handles bumps and rough roads much better than conventional suspension.
You see the bumps, and that's all you do, so to speak.

So both VW, Porsche and BMW better educate their salespeople a little bit, so they know what the air-suspension is all about.

GO FOR AIR-SUSPENSION! :dance:

· Registered
19 Posts
I like parking at the mall and setting it on Extra Off Road. You get looks like "is that an aftermarket hookup?"
:crazy:
Oh and the ride on sport mode is sooo tight on corners, I'm always accelerating through the apex, just like in that Cayenne commerical with the dad telling his son how to drive through his mash potatoes. :joy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.