Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is not amused at all.
My 2004 V10TDI decided to mix oil and coolant at 80k KM and VW said I needed a new engine.
Since I had DPchips from Aussieland on the engine they decided that there could be no guarantee or compensation. I coughed up with 23k€ (28k$) and got my car back 3 months later!!
Now the new (2nd) engine decided to mix oil and coolant again after 1500 km and we are now going to get another engine AGAIN. This time a warrenty case sice I never mounted the chips again on engine #2!!
Obviously the question arises: Should I now seek compensation for the 1st engine going sick!! Surely the 2nd engine go bad too indicate that chips (only) are not to blame!!
Not amused at all!!:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I were the tech I would be looking for another way for coolant geting in the oil. did they flush good when they cleaned the radiator & coolant lines ?? is it just remains of the old oil ??? I dont think the engine is at fault

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong with optimism

Hi VWdoctor

I like your optimism. I wish that you are right. Wonder if anybody will find out if you are because on engine # 1 I do not think anybody really found out what the problem was. The going philosophy was a cracked engine housing!!

Part of the problem is that in Fuerteventura - maybe also Las Palmas - they may not have the expertice to take a V10TDI to atoms to determine. Even replacing the engine in 1 go (3 months work around here) proved a challenge.

I emailed VW in Europe to hear the destiny and the fault finding of the 1st engine but had zero response.

They spent about 14 days flushing the system before replacing engine # 1 and a week when engine # 2 was installed.

PS: The AC system worked for only 24 hrs after engine # 2 was installed!! I was heading to the workshop to have that fixed when we lost oil and coolant levels on the engine and it drank 3 ltrs of oil in 3 weeks before that! And when coolant reservoir opened all sorts of oil was found there.

Anybody else out there with similar experiences?:rolleyes:

I'll change my signature shortly!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marty

Donno. Do they come in various versions?

I remember that was checked on the first engine and turned out not to be the case.

Brgds

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you should have never paid for the first motor!

they have to show that the chip caused the issue!

go get your money back

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is Spain I am afraid. Do not know if Spanish law requires them to PROVE that the chips did the damage. Would be 3-4 years in a court case to have that determined. No energy for that.
The oil cooler was not replaced!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have seen many an oil cooler be an issue with these cars. as far as drinking 3 quarts of synthetic on a new motor that may be possible during break in. I would have broke in a new motor with cheap 5w30 castor based oil for about 2k then flushed & used synthetic. but thats me. I also let my cylinders on a race motor get about 3 weeks of rust on them before I put pistons & rings in them so it breaks in quicker.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would have broke in a new motor with cheap 5w30 castor based oil for about 2k then flushed & used synthetic. but thats me. I also let my cylinders on a race motor get about 3 weeks of rust on them before I put pistons & rings in them so it breaks in quicker.
are you on the :drunk:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know it sounds foolish but I have been doing this for a long, long time and repeat proceedure seems to be a good out come.:eek:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you have been stuffing your motors for a long time too then! just because they "run", does not mean they are not now in an atrocious wear mode!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
you have never heard of grumpy jenkins ??? its a long time practice of his that I tried once with a moly ring motor I couldnt get to break in.
I think he was a :drunk:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not know too much about engines but 3 ltrs (4 Quarts) seems like a lot for an engine to gobble up in a matter of 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. Something ain't right there.
Not least when you get all sorts of oil in the cooling system at the same time!!
I did pop a mail to the distributor for The Canaries who owns the outlet that did the 2nd engine to let them know I am less than delighted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts