Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the cold weather, I got ambitious yesterday and detailed the exterior of my Touareg. Did some Griot's clay and #4 polish, and complete application of 3M Performance Finish Synthetic Wax. I've always done my cars by hand but this time I got a Griot's 6-inch random orbital polisher to to the hard work.

The 3M synthetic goes on and off very easily! You don't allow it to dry, just do a section with the machine (or by hand) and wipe it dry immediately. No visible residue, no white powder, no sign of it on the rubber or plastic trim. The finish shines very well and feels smooth as glass. A little goes a long way - A bottle of this stuff should last for many applications.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has tried this and has any comment? Couldn't find anything in a search.

BTW the Griot's random orbital with their pads & polish works great. I was very hesitant to use a machine on the paint but it turned out beautiful.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just did my car and like you was hesitant to machine buff and wax it. I got a Flex polisher so not the same brand but works about the same, it's amazing what the new polishers can do and not do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks like you got rid of the B pillar swirls, what did u do to remove them? My 13 toureg was washed at the dealer with sandpaper so they r going to polish it, but for the future I'd like to know how u removed them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been detailing for years and love Griot`s products. They actually make a dvd how to for buffing and sell it on their site. I use their Paint Sealant then Best of Show Wax on my black Touarega nd it makes the paint look flawless. The most important things when buffing are to not apply too much pressure, use even strokes, and most of all.....take your time.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been detailing for years and love Griot`s products. They actually make a dvd how to for buffing and sell it on their site. I use their Paint Sealant then Best of Show Wax on my black Touarega nd it makes the paint look flawless. The most important things when buffing are to not apply too much pressure, use even strokes, and most of all.....take your time.
I got a Griot's kit with the orbital polisher and a sampling of their polish, wax, etc. Kit came with that DVD. Very informative. I used Griot's wax remover, clay, and #4 fine polish. Finished it with the 3M Synthetic Wax but I have no doubt the full Griot's treatment would look great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is. Especially helps out with these harsh winters here and the salt. I know that I am new here, but I am veru active in other forums like VW Vortex. If anyon ehas any detail questions, feel free to PM me or ask. Besides VAG, it is another one of my passions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
MB45 , how much experience did you have when you tackled this? Thinking og getting the porter cable with the adams swirl remover. I just bought a bunch of adams products this weekend, but most of it wash wash related and hand polish. I'm sure I could do it, seems hard to mess up. I'd rather spend the money on my own equipment than pay 350 bucks to have it done. Any help will be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
MB45 , how much experience did you have when you tackled this? Thinking og getting the porter cable with the adams swirl remover. I just bought a bunch of adams products this weekend, but most of it wash wash related and hand polish. I'm sure I could do it, seems hard to mess up. I'd rather spend the money on my own equipment than pay 350 bucks to have it done. Any help will be appreciated thank you
I have a Porter Cable orbital and use Sonus products from Autopia-carcare.com. I've found that the Swirl Buster product Swirl Remover Car Polish for Porter Cable 7424 | Sonus SwirlBuster is perfect for removing clear coat damage from (the dealer's!) careless washing.

The trick is to operate the orbital at fairly high speed with a firm (orange color) pad. The results are extremely good -- as close to showroom-new as you're gonna get! Finish it off with good wax, of course. I use "Klasse" synthetic wax/sealant.

As others have stated, the other trick is to work slowly and deliberately and not use too much pressure. But anyone can do it -- no experience necessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How long did the job require? I've been debating doing it myself.
I didn't do the entire vehicle, just a few areas where clear coat damage was obvious -- the hood and tops of the fenders. I probably spent a couple of hours, including waxing.

To do the entire car would take, IMO, the best part of a day. That's to do it carefully and finish it off with wax.

But it's not difficult and you get to see the results immediately so it's NOT a bad job to attempt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts