Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7L6-615-149-A and 7L6-615-149

There's a price difference of about $50/caliper. Does anyone know what the difference is?

I'm working on putting a BBK for the Treg. Considering this as an option or the Porsche 368mm kit. But not sure on the difference of the above calipers.

thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The links, if that's what they were meant to be, don't work.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
7L6-615-149-A and 7L6-615-149

There's a price difference of about $50/caliper. Does anyone know what the difference is?

I'm working on putting a BBK for the Treg. Considering this as an option or the Porsche 368mm kit. But not sure on the difference of the above calipers.

thanks

Nooby

The 7L6615149A is a 4 piston caliper and suits 330mm discs
The 7L 6615149 is a 6 piston caliper and suits 350mm discs

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

I'm adding this to my collection of data.

I'll share some additional here so it's documented if someone else does a search.

1IE = 4 piston caliper for 330mm rotor.
17Z = 6 piston caliper for 330mm rotor.
18Z = 6 piston caliper for 350mm rotor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
But do you have the ABS settings for various generation models after the change of calipers/discs? Isn't that an important part of this upgrade, as I have read here?
I am very interested.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But do you have the ABS settings for various generation models after the change of calipers/discs? Isn't that an important part of this upgrade, as I have read here?
I am very interested.

Not yet. I'm waiting for that info once I decide what calipers I go with.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I am very interested.

I've read this here before but question the need.

In all my years looking at brake upgrades on other cars, this isn't even a consideration.

Brake controllers need to account for variance in pad thickness, moisture on discs, brake force etc.

There's no brake system that will always have the exact same parameters throughout its operating life.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read this here before but question the need.

In all my years looking at brake upgrades on other cars, this isn't even a consideration.

Brake controllers need to account for variance in pad thickness, moisture on discs, brake force etc.

There's no brake system that will always have the exact same parameters throughout its operating life.
My understanding is that because of the various models and options available, there were different setting that could be changed with a VAG to match the "new" config. For instance, adjusting the VAG so the ABS system and TC recognizes a change in the braking configuration, like swapping to a 6-pot 350mm setup from a 4-pot 330mm setup.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My understanding is that because of the various models and options available, there were different setting that could be changed with a VAG to match the "new" config. For instance, adjusting the VAG so the ABS system and TC recognizes a change in the braking configuration, like swapping to a 6-pot 350mm setup from a 4-pot 330mm setup.

That's not how ABS works though. It doesn't care about your setup. It cares about wheel lockup and when it senses it it takes action. Doesn't matter if you lock earlier than "normal" or later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This setting has more to do with the traction control system which activates during extreme conditions. I read here that the ABS controller has different settings to adapt to a bigger brake caliper system. It saves your butt during emergency maneuvers.

I read this here, and I want to be safe when I do upgrade.

I've upgraded brake systems before on my other VW's, but they are not as big, heavy, or tall in ride-height as the Touareg.

·
Registered
264 Posts
All the safety systems need to work with variances in braking capabilities.

It can't be a setting because it will never be uniform.

Not buying this piece of internet folklore but just my opinion.

·
Registered
499 Posts
All the safety systems need to work with variances in braking capabilities.

It can't be a setting because it will never be uniform.

Not buying this piece of internet folklore but just my opinion.

He's referring to the coding of the abs module in the car. Using vcds you can change the coding so the car knows what the configuration is for the disks and calipers.

Do you really think that vag sits there and calibrates the brakes on each individual vehicle instead of knowing the different configurations and coding the modules to provide the correct pressures to each caliper? That would be an extremely time consuming process instead of doing the engineering work to make it pain free.

Reactions: diirk

·
Registered
264 Posts
He's referring to the coding of the abs module in the car. Using vcds you can change the coding so the car knows what the configuration is for the disks and calipers.

Do you really think that vag sits there and calibrates the brakes on each individual vehicle instead of knowing the different configurations and coding the modules to provide the correct pressures to each caliper? That would be an extremely time consuming process instead of doing the engineering work to make it pain free.

That was my point. The ABS system is looking at wheel lock, not how much pressure to apply based on 6 piston versus 4 piston.

No big brake kit on any tuning site makes reference to recoding the braking system.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That was my point. The ABS system is looking at wheel lock, not how much pressure to apply based on 6 piston versus 4 piston.

No big brake kit on any tuning site makes reference to recoding the braking system.

Yes but by adding a different brake kit you can throw off the brake bias and possibly cause the stability control systems to act in a way that causes problems.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes but by adding a different brake kit you can throw off the brake bias and possibly cause the stability control systems to act in a way that causes problems.

Braking systems are designed to account for that. Electronic Brake force distribution. These are Dynamic systems that look at parameters and adjust accordingly.

I say again, no braking system produces the same force, pressure, braking performance every single time you press the pedal.

Having a loaded car versus unloaded can also affect braking characteristics.

I cannot believe it's a single setting in VCDS.

Plus, what if I decided I wanted 8 piston calipers. Did VW add a setting for those? 10 piston?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Braking systems are designed to account for that. Electronic Brake force distribution. These are Dynamic systems that look at parameters and adjust accordingly.

I say again, no braking system produces the same force, pressure, braking performance every single time you press the pedal.

Having a loaded car versus unloaded can also affect braking characteristics.

I cannot believe it's a single setting in VCDS.

Plus, what if I decided I wanted 8 piston calipers. Did VW add a setting for those? 10 piston?
My assumption was that there were configurations for the "available" options. So settings for a 4-pot 330mm, 6-pot 330mm, 6-pot 350mm & 6-pot 368mm, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No tweeking with the VCDS on the ABS module would be great, but this was done by an user here when he upgraded his front brakes to larger Porsche/Brembo calipers. Do a search. Someone already did this, but it was for an older Touareg, not a 2016 model.

I understand your point on this being a dynamic system with sort of a control/feedback loop, but VW might have done something to compensate better when different calipers are in use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts