Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished putting $30 in gas in my V6 (3500 miles). I backed out of the fuel pump line and stalled. I was able to restart without a problem but any attempt to accelerate resulted in a stumbling stall. In fact, once restarted, it would stall out on its own after about ten seconds. At times the display indicated that I was out of fuel before stalling. I had VW Roadside tow her in and she's been in the shop for ten days. They claim they have replaced the ECU and now are working on replacing both fuel pumps. They clearly do not know what the problem is. Any ideas?? This is a South Florida car so there is no adverse temperature or driving condition cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touareg has stopped running at 3500 miles

I do know that they claim to have unhooked the fuel line to check flow and that they are changing the fuel pumps. I can only assume that they know the difference between what then comes out as being either gasoline or water or who knows what. I did mention something from my ancient days in automotives which was the propensity of vehicles to develop "air-locks" in the fuel line under some circumstances.

I can only hope that they know enough to check for these simple solutions before replacing my vehicle piece by piece (while I continue to make lease payments!!). I was hoping that this had occurred before and someone could tell me what it turned out to be so I could gently suggest a solution to the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Stewilly - I feel your pain ... cos the same thing's just happened to me. Just this evening I pumped in gas as I had the "please refuel" warning and when I started the car died after about 30 secs. Checked to see if it was a battery problem but voltmeter shows ok.

Started it again and the engine was idling ok but then gave a cough and died ... and started again ... and died ... and started again ... and died and I gave up. While waiting for the tow truck to arrive, periodically tried again but to no avail. It's in the workshop for the night and work (should) commence 1st thing tomorrow - tho I'm not confident as the service of the VW agent here is crap.

Let me know what happened and i'll keep you guys updated. The 1st thing I thought about was water in the gas but :

1. Doesn't look like other cars were affected
2. We're in the desert :crazy:

You're worrying me when you say the Treg's been in for 10 days already ... BTW I'm having a 2 month old 2005 V6 with 7000kms to the clock.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Touareg ran fine til I put gas in it

You have described what happened to me exactly. However, I did get my T-reg back today - no worse for wear - and with a new ECU and two new fuel pumps to boot!! Did they figure out what was wrong? I don't think so. The service rep tried to tell me it was a remarkable "coincidence" that my fuel pump died at the same time I was getting fuel. If you get a better explanation let me know. The ten days resulted partially from the Thangsgiving weekend coupled with the need to wait four days for the new ECU which was unnecessary it appears.

I am going to hazard a guess that waiting until the fuel warning light comes on to gas up may be playing russian roulette with a poorly engineered or manufactured pump system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok - update.

As expected, the local service guys only started work on the Treg at about 11am ... after promising that they'll work on it 1st thing in the morning as the car was laid up the nite before but claimed they had to wait for the Treg expert to go thru the car as they're baffled.

At the end of the day, computer diagnostics indicated everything's ok but problem is still there. Bad petrol has been ruled out and on further questioning, they claim the ECU is fine and the fuel line is ok (not sure I'm getting a straight answer here or they're just stalling). Bad news is I can't get it out and they'll work on it again tomorrow and at the moment, they admit they know nothing.

Further updates soon ...

Cheers - Dr C

·
Registered
205 Posts
Found this thread after I had posted mine - did you guys not receive the EPC warning? This sounds exactly like my trouble in the above thread about EPC troubles. My car's in the dealer now - I'm waiting to hear what they have to say - thanks for the heads up though I'll see if they say fuel pumps and ecu - mine would only idle for about 10-30 seconds before it died - it would die horribly too - hovering between 1-300 rpms coughing as if it were its last breath.

12,--- miles - v8

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Jeff - did not notice any EPC warning (what's EPC BTW?). I was a bit frustrated and revved the engine but to no avail - it would still die ... faster. That is to say if i let it idle - it would last 15 secs ... If I revved it - it would die faster ... as if to say that there was a fixed amount of fuel and once it was finished; that's it!

I couldn't sustain the engine no matter how hard I revved.

Cheers - Dr C

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't recall what exactly EPC stands for - something to do with the engine though - only on gas engines I believe the manual said.

I have what seems like the exact same troubles regardless though and the epc didn't come up on subsequent starts - engine just died without warning lights.

I'm waiting for word from my dealer to hear what they find - i'll post it up and let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
spockcat said:
audiluv,
There are two fuel pumps. I don't know if both need to be working in order for the car to run and be able to drive. Maybe if only one works, the car can idle but not drive?

Both pumps run at start up for approx. 10-20 secs then only the main

pump runs after that to support the engine. Under high load or if the low

fuel light is on then both run. On the V6 the pump on the left is the main

and on the V8 the pump on the right is the main one. I dont know why

VW did that. The tanks are exactly the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This would explain exactly what i was conjecturing when I heard mention of dual fuel pumps.... also explains why I could keep it running over 3k rpms- presumably high load request was triggering the working fuel pump... thanks for the info...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok - just got the Treg back.

Apparently there's a short in one of the wire connectors which caused the left fuel pump to go bust. They have now changed the left hand side pump and temporarily insulated the wire harness cos they have to get a new part from Germany. Will replace at my 15k km service.

The action was due in part to the excellent feedback I received thru this forum. It looks like no one here has ever had this problem and I complained to the German Service Manager (probably seconded from WV Germany). He replied that he is in the dark as to why this happened and reported back to Germany on this. Now that they have experienced this, he will notify Germany to make sure the QA guys remedy this defect.

Hopefully this will help other folks who may be affected.

The funny thing is ... why did this happen to me and Stewilly just after we finished putting in gas. Lucky this didn't happen in the middle of the desert (just came back from a trip 2 weeks ago). Coincidence? Spooky ... watch out when you next fill up and low on gas :evil_laugh:

Cheers - Dr C

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dr C,

Did you do any off road driving where you could have bottomed out and damaged the wire harness to the fuel pump? If so I wonder if skid plates would have prevented this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
T-Regs which stop operating after being re-fueled

I'm just gonna leave this out there for those other owners who, I believe, must have this same thing happen to them. I cannot believe that Dr. C in Dubai, and myself in South Florida are the first or last low mileage V-6 and V-8 T-reg owners who got stranded at a gas station in exactly the same way. Neither of us noticed any EPC warning and I do not off-road.

My concern is that even though both my fuel pumps have been replaced and the vehicle runs, if it is a wiring harness issue as Dr. C was told, I may be in for a repeat performance unless the harness was replaced as part of the pump replacement. It also seems clear that this problem manifests itself immediately after re-fueling and maybe only after allowing fuel to reach the point where the re-fuel warning is activated. Until I regain confidence or learn that there is a valid explanation for this, I will be dropping my gas in before being told to.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Two fuel pumps = twice the spare part sales times x number of TReg's = Big $$$. :evil_laugh:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi audiluv - no I do limited off roading ... mostly rocky dry river beds and tracks. Definitely no big boulders and I haven't bottomed the car out ... yet.

Did try going on soft sand and ... got stuck. Had to be towed out by a Landcruiser (apologies to all other Treg owners - it was lucky no one was around at the time #-o ).

The funny thing about this incident is that I've gone low on gas before many times and much lower than when the Treg died (was trying to check my fuel consumption). Well i'll be doubly careful like Stewilly if i'm out of the city; otherwise I will report if this thing comes back again the next time I'm low on gas :drunk: Incidentally the short happened at the connector end and not between the wires.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.