Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I suggest just putting 31.6 inch tall tires, as downsides (driveability, additional work) of going to 33 doesn't outweigh the additional benefits.

Just put 265/65/18 (or 265/70/17), they should fit with no modification. Also, this is the same size that Cayenne Transsyberia rally cars used back in the day.
That's not how I work. I like to modify, push the boundaries, try something new...

Life would be very boring if we just all took the easy route.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A little update on the V10.

I've been having issues with it due to the brake pressure switch failing. Now I've done these many times at the dealership while working for Porsche on Cayennes but never have I had one sheer in two due to someone over tightening it.

It was so tight that I ended up having to remove the brake master cylinder and put the remains of the switch into a vice and a tube onto the master cylinder.

Once done though, it was a fairly easy refit and then bleed of the brakes.

While that was going on, I've been putting together my set of street wheels... W12 20s :D

But with 275/60R20s

I also looked into having an adaptor plate made for the spare wheel carrier.

I have to finish off the bracket but it's functional.

·
Registered
2010 TDI w/ air
74 Posts
At the back, they catch on the arch liner and behind that... is the sill :( That's not an easy fix.

The rear of the arches will be next but that's going to involve cutting and welding.

Apparently I never read back through this thread very thoroughly. You definitely do not have to cut and weld at the back of the arches. I pulled back the plastic liner and whatever other plastics were in my way and just hit the bottom there with a little three pound sledge hammer and moved some of that metal out of the way. It cleared it just perfectly for the 33s. There's enough air space behind that metal that it will crumple just enough, and all the plastic liners and everything still went back on like normal for me. I didn't photograph the passenger side, but it was even easier because I didn't have the 4-zone/rear heat water lines in the way. I crushed the rocker/sill a little bit at the bottom of the arch (circled) and I also flattened out the water lines a little bit too (circled) because you can see the tire was rubbing the one water line, too.

However, any bigger and you definitely need to start cutting things out of the way. I plan to do that one of these years. There's a former Cayenne guy that went to 35s and then 37s with custom made lift parts and subframe spacers and who knows what else, and I think he started cutting the arches when he put 35s on.

30856755758_868a2acbfa_h by Pat, on Flickr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently I never read back through this thread very thoroughly. You definitely do not have to cut and weld at the back of the arches. I pulled back the plastic liner and whatever other plastics were in my way and just hit the bottom there with a little three pound sledge hammer and moved some of that metal out of the way. It cleared it just perfectly for the 33s. There's enough air space behind that metal that it will crumple just enough, and all the plastic liners and everything still went back on like normal for me. I didn't photograph the passenger side, but it was even easier because I didn't have the 4-zone/rear heat water lines in the way. I crushed the rocker/sill a little bit at the bottom of the arch (circled) and I also flattened out the water lines a little bit too (circled) because you can see the tire was rubbing the one water line, too.

However, any bigger and you definitely need to start cutting things out of the way. I plan to do that one of these years. There's a former Cayenne guy that went to 35s and then 37s with custom made lift parts and subframe spacers and who knows what else, and I think he started cutting the arches when he put 35s on.
Hi all, new to the forum. Have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.There's great info posted by you all.

I am Looking at a nice '12 TDI now and contemplating eventually going big (35s or even 37s). Not afraid of cutting metal /relocating/fabricating if need be.

Mckpat03, do you have a link to that Touareg on 35s/37s built by the former Cayenne fella? Pics, build thread? Really interested in what it took to fit such big tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. Have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.There's great info posted by you all.

I am Looking at a nice '12 TDI now and contemplating eventually going big (35s or even 37s). Not afraid of cutting metal /relocating/fabricating if need be.

Mckpat03, do you have a link to that Touareg on 35s/37s built by the former Cayenne fella? Pics, build thread? Really interested in what it took to fit such big tires.
Also, I realize that we're talking T1s/T2s here and my target vehicle is a T3, but most of what the fella did to his T1 (maybe strut spacers AND subframe spacers, plus fender cutting and parts relocating) "should" somehow be applicable to the T3...

Besides, I think everybody here would like to take a look at "the T-Beast".:):cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A couple of vids from recent Green-laning in Wales.

This was my first time off-road with the V10 so I was being a bit careful hence the slow progress.

Again, I was taking my time here. This was in 'off-road' level, not the full height level which I'd never use when off-road as it limits suspension travel.

The lift kit (body 50mm lift kit) has given me the ability to run the 33s and have the V10 at a sensible ride height when off-road and therefore have full suspension movement rather than it being maxed out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to change coding/settings so that the windows will wind down by holding the unlock button on the remote and up by holding the lock button on the remote? It's normally changed within the comfort settings but I can't find a way of changing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
i really like your T. running 33'' on my V8 T1 as well. have few questions... what are those wheels? offset and width? also can you tell me if you have lowered subframe ? what other things need lowering to avoid problems, can you give more details please :) this is my T1 V8

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great looking T1!

I did a 50mm body lift on everything, rear subframe, front subframe, upper struts... the lot.

The wheels are a set that I had built to my spec. There isn't another set. They're 18 x 8 steel wheels, ET34 with 275/70R18 tyres.

MG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
A question for those in the know...

I'm looking at swapping the spare wheel carrier (with tailgate, wiring, ECU etc) from my Silver V10 to another V10 Touareg which has more options (Jan 2006 reg, 2005 model year). Has anyone done this? Is the main wiring loom in the car different for the spare wheel carrier?

Anyone have any links to info or a retro fitted setup please?

This is the new T1 V10.

The interior colour is... er... different!

I've never seen an interior this colour before and it wouldn't be my choice but it's everywhere and even has heated rear seats as well as the additional rear air conditioning setup.

This is the reason for all of the interest...

I've only seen the disengaging anti-roll bars in photos before and driven 1x Cayenne with them before.

Here is the control ECU for it.

I'm also looking to swap over the towbar but I hope that that isn't much more than bolts and a bit of wiring.

The option list on the V10 include:

Disengaging anti-roll bars
Rear diff-lock
Tyre pressure monitoring
Rear heater/air conditioning for rear passengers
Rear heated seats
19" factory wheels
Sunroof
Mudflaps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Disengaging anti-roll bars
Incredible! I've seen lots of people claiming on here that this feature was never actually manufactured.

What does the button above the anti-roll bar button, with the "lock" and up arrow do? I would imagine it prevents the height from adjusting automatically based on speed? Edit: Indeed, that is what is does apparently.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The anti roll bars in default position, work as normal anti roll bars.
Each anti roll bar is in fact made from two separate pieces which have splined ends. A coupling actuator sits over them which has two positions, open (disengaging the anti roll bars) and closed (normal running position).

There is a very strong spring (basic mechanical device) which holds the decoupler in the closed position.

Then there is a hydraulic system that uses high pressure hydraulics (basically a ram) to push against that spring to disengage the two sections of the anti roll bar.

The hydraulic pump is hidden away in front of the left rear light.

The function of disengaging the anti roll bars is to give each wheel the ability to move fully within its travel without being resisted by the anti roll bar that is attached to the opposite suspension on that axle. Better articulation is what it's all about which equals more time with the tyres in contact with the ground.

·
Registered
2010 Touareg V6 TDI base model with 255/70R17 AT tires, 2018 Tiguan (allspace) 2.0 TSI 235/65R17 AT
11 Posts
Never new this option really existed. It probably doesn't exist in the US.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts