Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to make a decision on the most time/cost effective move forward, and could use insight from someone who knows these engines. I just traded in my 2012 TDI for the buyback last week (missing her dearly). Prior to that I drove a friend's 2008 FSI and decided I would get a T1 or T2 after giving up the TDI. In searching I found a 2007 3.6L in excellent condition (for its age), but with a reported timing chain problem. That wasn't enough to scare me away because I got it for so cheap.

I also had just finished rebuilding the engine on my wife's Audi, so I was feeling in the mood for another rebuild. Prior to turning in the TDI, I had the pleasure of driving out and towing her replacement home 700 miles...great times! Back home and on the scanner - it cranks but won't start, and is throwing no codes or CEL. The timing chain diagnosis appears to be correct.

My friend told me that starting in 2008, the timing chain issues (stretched chain, tensioner and bolt problems) were solved on the T2 3.6's, but I have yet to confirm. If this is the case, I might consider option A of tracking down an 08 or 09 motor for quick swap if possible.

Otherwise, I'll resort to option B, pulling in the crane and start tearing it down. If the issues are the same across the board, I wouldn't install anything else without installing new timing components anyway.

Any insight or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys/gals.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the insight - helped a lot and is much appreciated!!

I'm going to start with pulling the engine and opening her up to see if there is visible damage to any timing components. Hopefully I'll find a bad tensioner, bolt, etc. If it passes a compression test I'll install all new timing components, set it and should be good to go.

If lack of compression points to deeper issues, I'll buy a replacement and swap in new timing components (and bolt) before install. In that case I'd probably keep the core and rebuilt it in spare time when I want to get my hands dirty.

For the record it has 133k on the clock. Previous owner drove it for 6 years since it had 60k on it with no issues. He didn't do any timing work so its all original. Will start working on it next week and report back with the findings.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.