Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I've smelled this a bit since taking ownership this summer. I notice it now after long rides but it's very faint.

V6 3.6L (2008) and only notable on the drivers side around the wheel well. No lose of coolant (yet), no drips and no sign of leaks (powder residue).

Many on Vortex from 2.0 to V6, GTi to Passat say "welcome to Vw" as this seems to be a common thing...not sure if you agree?

The parts manager at Vw (Columbus) stated Vw and their wisdom of plastic flanges and manifolds are usually to blame.

Anyone have a theory or knowledge of a systemic problem on V6, new or older?

Like to get out in front of this before summer comes and I'm towing the boat!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It could be the so called "crack pipe" leaking. I'm not sure if there's one on the FSI engines, but the earlier ones have it. It's a coolant manifold that is plastic and known to fail. A metal aftermarket version is available. It'a a giant PITA to R&R, however. Plenty of videos floating around about it, too.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
My 2006 does this and has since day one. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Many on Vortex from 2.0 to V6, GTi to Passat say "welcome to Vw" as this seems to be a common thing...not sure if you agree?
I suspect the above. My 2006 2.0 Jetta, 2007 3.6 Touareg, and my 2008 4.2 Touareg ALL smell like this at times. I have NO idea why. I sold the 06' long ago but since new it never lost fluid...nor have my other two. Some change in overflow caps I wonder?? Seems more powerful near the actual cap if you haven't already noticed. My old 88' didn't do it. I should pull out the overflow and fit an old 88' on it and see if it goes away..nah no time for that.

No issues, tow all the time.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Let me clarify my 1st post to the OP: I think an occasional faint waft of coolant is normal...based one my 07' having had this symptom from new to 90k miles. I have had many pressure checks and flushes performed (three and due for another actually)...no normal leak exists...at least on mine. The pressure relief cap DOES vent under normal conditions once max pressure is reached, the steam from this condenses on the bottom side overhang of the cap (bottom part exposed to open air) and is just enough to smell when the fan is running blowing air to the back of the compartment over and around the cap and out. Therefore I think a faint smell is from this cap itself and is normal. Just my opinion, it has been doing it for seven years without adding fluid between flushes.
BTW I flush every two years because I feel the coolant is that important to purge. Hope it brings a long life to the motor.
If you have something MORE than a faint, almost non-existant smell...you could have an issue.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'll pressure test in spring but no level drop in 6 months. Always a faint smell after an hour commute. Again go over on vortex and it seems to be a common complaint of Vw from the last 15 years. Not saying I don't have a bad flange or plastic bit. Pressure test should help.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Following up on my previous post. I've only had to add coolant to my Touareg once in the 10-years it's been on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.