Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Some updates here: Got some answers about the bulging intake and the puffing sound. Vr6 owners say it's normal. So this settles is the engine sound issue.
I did a tear down of the pcv and now I understand better how it works and why it spurts out pressure from the nipple/barb whole. Some pics and info later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the changover valve works like the V8 version. It should retract all the way on startup. Then change position as manifold vacuum drops on acceleration.
If it doesn't close,and it isn't stuck, look for vacuum leak(s) The hoses turn to dust from age.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I bought a handheld vacuum pisto so I will be testing when I get some time. I will need to remove the intake again and replace the seals and check all the hoses. I bought some vacuum hoses so I will replacing them soon.

But the good thing is I no longer have any oil leaks or scary amount of oil dripping from the transmission.
I couldn't believe the transmission was leaking so much and I was right since the oil was dripping from the valve cover. After the replacement and the cleaning all is dry now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I replaced some vaccum hoses. Now the variable intake actuator goes down as soon as I start the engine.
According to the intake ssp the actuator should go down (torque position) only between 1100 rpm and 4200rpm

When the engine is not running or running at idle, the change-over barrel is in position for the shorter intake path, or power position

I put in a new N156 valve but same result. Maybe the concept is different for the Treg.

VR6 3.2 drivers are welcome to test and report.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I did some tests and took a video. The actuator arm is drawn down as soon as you start the engine.
At around 4000 rpm the arm goes up.
This is not what is stated in the 3.2 (fsi not mpi - Touareg vr6 2004 is MPI) ssp or the vr6 variable intake manifold ssp.
Either the setup is specific to the touareg or something is wrong.

https://fabione63.it/doc/SSP212 Variable Intake Manifold in VR Engines.pdf

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A friend just bought a 2003 vr6 Touareg. Change over valve works the same way as on my treg. Engine on and idling > arm down. The intake manifold does swell and exhale the same way as on my treg. So both behaviours are normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
7 Participants
TRespect
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing