Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve cover removed with some effort.
Here are pics of what I found.
The cover has apparently been already removed.
Either the guys changed the seal (gasket) and added a lot of silicone sealant or they just added silicone sealant to the cracked seal.
I don't have any sealant at hand. I will just clean everything and put only the cover seal and the spark plug seals.
Engine looks dirty.
I found out about the VR6 shifter rod two days ago while working on the treg. When I removed the intake manifold I found the rod has a lot of play. I do have a rolling marbles sound at 1500 rpm and on higher load. I thought it was due to stretched chain but VCDS measurements say I still have a good chain. The rattle is probably the manifold shifter rod. I cannot get it out of the instake manifold for the moment. I'll leave it be. I will replace it later.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
Nothing special to check on the VR6 that I know of.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is the throttle body. I think I'm going to remove from the intake manifold and clean it. It doesn't look bad fron the outside. There is of course a certain amount of dirt but not too bad. I don't know if I will need to replace any seals when reinstalling it. Etka to the rescue.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent a good part of the afternoon removing the old seal and sealant from the engine and the valve cover and discovered that I will certainly have to use silicone sealant too. The guy who worked on the engine before used a metalic tool to remove the old seal and scratched the seal surface on the engine side. There are some dents and some serious scratches. Not sure sanding the surface will help or make things worse. I think that even sealant will not seal good enough with these scratches.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Although I have V 8's, before I changed the valve cover gaskets on both vehicles I asked my mechanic buddy if I should use RTV (gasket silicone) and he said I shouldn't have to. After about 1000 miles I checked the wife's coils and all but 1 spark plug tube had oil in them. I ended up having to do both cars again and used the sealant the second time around. On mine there was a valve cover bolts loosening pattern outside bolts to center and opposite for tightening. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some questions:

Can the throttle valve (body) be stuck in the closed position without affecting engine operation?
I have driven the treg for about 5000 km so far. The throtlle valve is gunked and from the lool of it the flap can probably not move due to the sludge i found on the inside. There is no trace of movement on the sludged area. I found a tace when I removed the sludge.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished the cleaning. Put back everything. Added rtv to the valve cover gasket. Waited 24 hours for the rtv to cure.
So far so good BUT i started taking out the spark plugs to clean them. Got the first one out, the second one and the third one broke in half :-(
The spark plug threaded part stayed in the head. I'll start looking for a solution tomorrow. Google talks about spark plug remover or screw extracter. Any experience with any of these?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I managed to remove the broken plug using a screw extractor . Pics later.
I started the engine and now I have pcv issue. I tested two pcvs. The old and the new one. When I apply the throttle the pcv churns out like a train. I managed to trace it to a broken hose. I repaired it and it worked once. I decided to fix thr cable once and for all but now the issue is back. I've driver a few km to test. The issue is still here. The treg drives fine.
To be continued.
No vcds fault codes.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any VR6 3.2 available for some info and some tests, pics if the change-over valve?
Since I replaced the valve cover gasket the change-over valve is not working. I guess I installed it in the wrong position.
Here is mine wether enging is running or not, idle or revving

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you guys check the valve position in these conditions:
Engine off
Engine on and idling
Rev the engine above 1100 rpm and check wether the valve is switching positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.