Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All!

I have a Treg 2005 3.2 v6 with 135.000km. Last weekend we were on a holiday with friend (4 people, bikes on the roof) and my car accidentally stopped at the highway on light slope. First it was less of power for a few seconds after stopped the engine. After that I can't start anymore, only two turning from the starter but nothing from the engine.

Yesterday my mechanic looked in the upper part of the motor with a small camera, that is any moving in it when we try to start and try to make some round mechanically. No moving at the valves or the rods.

It seems, that the timing chain was teared. I can't find anybody on the forums who have the same problem. :(
There was no rattling or any other noise from the car. The speed was 100-120km/h.

If somebody have information problem like this, please let me know, because the local VW dealer also don't know any case like this.

Thank you
David

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It is a known issue that the timing chain can stretch and rattle badly on a 3.2 which can require the engine to be pulled to replace it but I cannot recall reading about a complete failure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was no rattling, no noise. Not any notice before that this could happen. Actually the car was at the mechanic for supervise it before the trip and he said everything is fine.

I read some post about R32 Golf's that broke the timing chain, but I don't exactly know that the engine is the same!?

I think the biggest question is that the valves are broken or not...? :(

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
if the chain did indeed snap at 120km/h the engine is toast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine stopped immediately! First turned off the cruise control, then slowing and engine stopped.

There is no engine or any other light on the dash and there is no error code on the VAG computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2004 touareg 3.2v6 flywheel damage

I thought I had a timing chain issue also. My touareg felt like it had a loss of power then acted like the transmission went into neutral I turned the ignition off and it wouldn't turn back on. Had it towed to my mechanic they check battery, starter, and all electrical then tried to turn engine over and noticed the cams would not move they first thought the timing chain or gears came apart. They pulled the engine out and noticed the flywheel and flex plate broke it was an expensive repair about $1700.00 but at least no damage to engine. You might let your mechanic know about mine. Good luck

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That's going to be a big rebuild. It appears from the photo the timing chain separated (failed master link?), that will keep the valves in position, and on the cylinders that had valves open, the pistons will likely have impact damage, as well as bent/broken valves and possibly cylinder head damage. Hopefully no bent connecting rods, but they will have to be checked too.
Ouch!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't believe they were able to remove the intake manifold and valve cover with the engine still in the vehicle. I am in the process of dropping my engine now to fix timing chain noise and gave up trying to remove the intake manifold until I have the engine lowered and have better access to everything. This vehicle is by far the most difficult vehicle I have ever worked on. Unfortunately I am stuck with it for now but after reading all the problems people are having with the Treg I think I will avoid all VW cars in the future.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
jip. That engine looks horrible! Running it too long on the same oil and you lose lubrication and the oil becomes acidic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
4ePikanini
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing