Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.I am new to the forum and am hoping some kind people on here can help me with some information.I am looking at buying a T1 and have been researching about them for a while and have spoken to a few euro and VW mechanics to get any good or bad info on them.I am looking at the 3.2 FSI engine or the R5 mainly.The 3.6 FSI could be a possibility but I am concerned that it could use quite a bit more fuel than the 3.2,which is mainly an issue for me due to living in quite a remote area and the closest petrol is a 40 minute drive away and I don't go in to town much so fuel mileage is important and why I am after a new vehicle to replace my thirsty Land Rover Discovery that is on gas also but that runs out fairly quickly.Anyway I spoke to a mechanic today and he said to avoid the T1's all together and get something from 09 which I don't really want to spend that sort of money on.He mentioned the timing chains being quite an issue on the FSI engines and to avoid the R5 engine which I have also read have a water pump issue,cylinder liner issue and camshaft wear if not serviced with the proper oil which is hard to know buying a used vehicle.Also I have read that the 3.0 TDI has a problem with the water pump pushing water in to the oil,has anyone heard of this ? I really want a Treg but am a bit concerned about reliability.I know some may think it couldn't be worse than a Land Rover but I have loved my Rovers and have found the V8 engine's and ZF transmissions to be bullet proof,my main issues has been with the electrics thanks to good ol Lucas electricals.Also does anyone here do their own work on their Touareg and if they could let me know if they are a descent car to work on or not.I have always done my own work on every car I have owned over the last 30 years from general servicing to a complete ground up rebuild and 2 engine rebuilds and mostly on Land Rovers and Range Rovers which are a bit of a **** to work on.Thanks in advance for any information.Cheers.:smile2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My apologies for the misleading thread heading.I was planning on asking for some info on the 3.2 FSI which is the main model I am interested in but ended up with a different post than planned.I could not find anywhere to edit the post afterwards.

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
You've posted in the Oz/NZ section but where in that upside-down world are you?

A few 3.2s have had a stretched timing chain and it's an engine out job to change it.

Quite a few 2.5 Tdis have suffered premature camshaft lobe wear due to people - and VW dealers - using the incorrect oil.

You're looking at a model the youngest of which is nearly 10 years old now. They weren't cheap to fix when new and don't get cheaper as they age, just more likely to go wrong.

If you're familiar with Land Rovers - and there's loads of cheaper aftermarket parts for those which is most definitely not the case for the Touareg where most stuff will need to come from a dealer - then I'd stick to the marque you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks noobytoogy.
I am in Australia,in far northern NSW out in the hills.I really do want to buy a 3.2 FSI but the timing chain issue does concern me seeing I would be purchasing a Touareg with over 100,000 kms on it.It wouldn't concern me if the timing gear was in the front like a normal engine and easy to work on but what a ridiculous design to have to remove the engine to do the job,what drugs are they on over at VW.You would think car manufacturers have had long enough by now to build a car that is easy to work on but I suppose most things these days are built to have a shelf life and then just throw it away.Is the timing chain issue on all T1's or just the FSI engines and have many people done high kms with no issues ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.