Club Touareg Forum banner

501 - 520 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Unfortunately VW would use the tune as means of denying warranty for things unrelated to the tune, like the timing chain, for instance. My experience with VW dealers has led me to believe they're a bunch of crooks. If I'm capable of outsmarting them I'll do it.

I get that but this isn’t a mid 90’s Honda where you can easily swap computers. I worked at a dealer as a back counter parts supervisor. There needs to be a specific reason where a dealer will delve that far into an issue.

·
Registered
681 Posts
And I simply stated a fact, you can flash back to the OEM tune whenever you want so that isn’t fake information. Like Turbo said, if they dig deep enough... they can find what you’ve done. If you feel the need to tune your car then you must accept the responsibility of what can happen if you do.
While flashing back is an option; what I'm disputing is making it sound like a reflash back to OEM and you're good. Over on the Audi boards quite a few Audi techs have confirmed that when they connect to the car, the diagnostic scan interfaces with the mothership in Germany and it will flag changes (IE the flash count on your ECU). Once your VIN is flagged, its forever. So much so people end up suing, over being sold TD1 flagged cars, of which are no longer covered by the OE warranty.

Now, I completely agree with tuning and caveat emptor; but I also believe in information transparency. You could run a spare ECU (heck I picked one up), but like you said.... Kind of a pain in the @#$! Not to mention, cars typically don't break down during the times of which your tooled up and prepared.

·
Registered
218 Posts
While flashing back is an option; what I'm disputing is making it sound like a reflash back to OEM and you're good. Over on the Audi boards quite a few Audi techs have confirmed that when they connect to the car, the diagnostic scan interfaces with the mothership in Germany and it will flag changes (IE the flash count on your ECU). Once your VIN is flagged, its forever. So much so people end up suing, over being sold TD1 flagged cars, of which are no longer covered by the OE warranty.

Now, I completely agree with tuning and caveat emptor; but I also believe in information transparency. You could run a spare ECU (heck I picked one up), but like you said.... Kind of a pain in the @#$! Not to mention, cars typically don't break down during the times of which your tooled up and prepared.

I’ve read up on the subject regarding what some techs have reported and def not saying you’re wrong. You have to keep things in perspective especially for the Audi guys. The cars that routinely get damaged due to tuning are S4 and other easily tuned cars. So if a timing belt takes a crap, that happens from time to time and I can almost guarantee they’re not going to search that much. Come in with rod sticking out the side of the block or carbon/burn stains around the exhaust tips... that’ll raise suspicion.

Side note... I’m at the shop about to get the car dynoed post tune so I’ll have more info on the Malone Stage 2 for guys who have the DPF components.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I’ve read up on the subject regarding what some techs have reported and def not saying you’re wrong. You have to keep things in perspective especially for the Audi guys. The cars that routinely get damaged due to tuning are S4 and other easily tuned cars. So if a timing belt takes a crap, that happens from time to time and I can almost guarantee they’re not going to search that much. Come in with rod sticking out the side of the block or carbon/burn stains around the exhaust tips... that’ll raise suspicion.

Side note... I’m at the shop about to get the car dynoed post tune so I’ll have more info on the Malone Stage 2 for guys who have the DPF components.

I'm waiting for results also!

So the thing is that we are all worried about our HPFP going. And if they look at the flash counter my guess is they could deny warranty because tunes do push the HPFP more than a stock tune. It's why I'm pretty apprehensive about doing a tune because I'd rather keep my warranty for now. I can do all the mechanical work myself but it's still thousands of dollars just in parts haha.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok here are the results with the runs and numbers.

Baseline :

Run 1 - 217.51 hp @ 370.07 tq
Run 2 - 219.88 hp @ 388.24 tq *** Max***
Run 3 - 216.26 hp @ 374.33 tq

Malone Stage 2 w/DPF :

Run 1 - 242.47 @ 395.77 tq *** Max***
Run 2 - 240.47 @ 383.50 tq
Run 3 - 239.13 @ 385.11 tq

It started getting hot and I think that’s why the numbers are where they are. The HP figure looks right but the TQ doesn’t and I’m sending the data to Malone to see what they think. Overall that car is A LOT smoother across the band. No regrets and I’m happy with the way the car feels. Attached is the latest dyno sheet and a side by side comparison.

So I’ll keep my non scientific assessments short and take it for what it’s worth. There’s no “delay” when power is coming in like there was in the base map. It barely feels like it’s boosting but you do hear the turbo spooling. Overall the driving characteristics will be more inline of a gas engine but faster. The midrange power shines on the highway and it feels solid.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'd see if you can grab some logs off your vehicle and if Malone is willing to "fine tune" it a little based on your exact parameters...
Unless you already have some significant soot buildup or something, I would've expected results that were a little better.

The powerband din't seem to shift much...... weird.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd see if you can grab some logs off your vehicle and if Malone is willing to "fine tune" it a little based on your exact parameters...

Unless you already have some significant soot buildup or something, I would've expected results that were a little better.

The powerband din't seem to shift much...... weird.

Yeah I’m going to let them judge whether something is amiss.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah I’m going to let them judge whether something is amiss.

Can you do a log in third gear from 1500 to 4000 logging boost, rpm, fuel trims and see how it compares to my stage 2 delete tune.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can you do a log in third gear from 1500 to 4000 logging boost, rpm, fuel trims and see how it compares to my stage 2 delete tune.

I’d have to go back to the shop and pay for another 3 runs. I’d like to have Malone look at it before I invest in another run.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
TheChuckNorris,

This maybe a little anecdotal( I have a 2015 Q5 TDI for reference ). I recently ( last friday ) went from stock w/ DPF to stage 2 malone w/ DPF and the driving characteristics that you describe are more or less in line with what I get when I drive.... no delay in power... but feels like its' barely boosting but the turbo is very noticable... Mine also feels like something once in a while is just nerfing the power... I was thinking about getting a vagcom some logs and going to malone... because something doesn't quite feel right... ( The power pulling never did that on the post dieselgate tune that i can remember )

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
oh ok. Anyone else have a stage2 non delete tune that can do a log?

Maybe I should just get a VAG-com if no one can get that into.
Find another enthusiast with one in your hood and buy them a coffee or two in return for doing some street pulls with logs...

You will need a VCDS for sure if you want Malone to address anything as they will ask for specific logs and data.

·
Registered
218 Posts
TheChuckNorris,

This maybe a little anecdotal( I have a 2015 Q5 TDI for reference ). I recently ( last friday ) went from stock w/ DPF to stage 2 malone w/ DPF and the driving characteristics that you describe are more or less in line with what I get when I drive.... no delay in power... but feels like its' barely boosting but the turbo is very noticable... Mine also feels like something once in a while is just nerfing the power... I was thinking about getting a vagcom some logs and going to malone... because something doesn't quite feel right... ( The power pulling never did that on the post dieselgate tune that i can remember )

I’m glad you jumped in and explained your finding as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Find another enthusiast with one in your hood and buy them a coffee or two in return for doing some street pulls with logs...

You will need a VCDS for sure if you want Malone to address anything as they will ask for specific logs and data.

Just ordered a VCDS from Ross-Tech. Once I get educated on the subject and figure out the system... I’ll get on it.

501 - 520 of 565 Posts