Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who do your own oil changes, PEP Boys has a printable coupon online for ESP Mobile 1 oil for $7.00 a quart, limit (12) quarts per customer. This includes Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30 which is the oil recommended for 3.0 TDI engine. This is the link for the coupon which expires on 02-28-13 and is for in store purchase only.

Online Printable Coupon - $7 per quart all Mobil 1 Oil | Pep Boys

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks both for the heads up and the link. !!! I would have completely missed this special if not for stumbling to your thread on this web site !! By far Mobil One has been one of the BEST oils for the three TDI's that I have had !! I have been running 30,000 miles OCI's with Mobil One 5w40 TDT (non EPS) 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks both for the heads up and the link. !!! I would have completely missed this special if not for stumbling to your thread on this web site !! By far Mobil One has been one of the BEST oils for the three TDI's that I have had !! I have been running 30,000 miles OCI's with Mobil One 5w40 TDT (non EPS) 180,000 miles.
Your are very welcome....the normal price is $11.99 a quart for the Mobile 1 VW TDI specs oil; so this is a good deal if you want to save some money doing your own oil changes.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
I picked up 36 qts of Mobil 1 Formula M 5w-40 that is rated MB 229.51 and is Low SAPS rated for low ash content, for $5.79 a qt last summer at Napa Auto Parts. But the way the Touareg sucks 9 liters per oil change, and the amount of towing I might be doing at 15.5 MPG in a TDI, I will be doing oil changes more frequently than every 10k miles, perhaps every 6 to 7.5k miles.

It's hot out here in So Cal, most of the year driving around in a lot of desert country, so a little bit heavier oil while towing in the summer heat is a buffer.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I am not sure is the ESP formula correct for the 3.0. I use the same and its only for non-DPF engines...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It seems Mobil1 is making same oil but with other specs.. Mine meets 505.01 and 506.01

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
It seems Mobil1 is making same oil but with other specs.. Mine meets 505.01 and 506.01
5w-30 ESP is for the common rail tdi with DPF and SCR filter market, ie VW Clean Diesel, and Pep Boys is in the North American market, not European Union market, earlier modeled Pumpe Dusse version engines or Monte Negro..

·
Registered
577 Posts
5w-30 ESP is for the common rail tdi with DPF and SCR filter market, ie VW Clean Diesel, and Pep Boys is in the North American market, not European Union market, earlier modeled Pumpe Dusse version engines or Monte Negro..
I personally have no issues running the ESP Mobil One 5w40 (MB 229.51 spec). The (my) 2009 VW Jetta TDI has been off the included dealer's Castrol 507.00, since the 30,000 miles oil change.

As it applies over all, hopefully the dealers old days of using the wrong oils are becoming more of historical bad memories rather than an every day occurrence.

·
Registered
577 Posts
For a (newer 2011,2012, 2013) TDI, no. The M! ESP both the VW 507 and MB 229.51 meet the low ash specifications. The oil you reference (Ravenol WIVI does NOT. It might be totally appropriate for an older TDI (V10 for example) I am not real sure what the VW T gasser specifications are, even as I understand the gassers spec are rolled into the VW 507 or meets the gasser specs also.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
For a (newer 2011,2012, 2013) TDI, no. The M! ESP both the VW 507 and MB 229.51 meet the low ash specifications. The oil you reference (Ravenol WIVI does NOT. It might be totally appropriate for an older TDI (V10 for example) I am not real sure what the VW T gasser specifications are, even as I understand the gassers spec are rolled into the VW 507 or meets the gasser specs also.
Second link all the way at the bottom ;)

Well, here: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=J1A1520-B

·
Registered
577 Posts
It is good to see a lot of previous heretofore "boutique" type oils (to the US markets) finding their way from the European markets. It is a tad like being told you have only have a couple three candy choices. Choices in European markets are almost like setting that same person lose in a candy supermarket.

But again it sets up a bit of a complication in that they still need to be compare to Mobil One ESP's 5w30 VW 507 and for those willing 5w40 MB 229.51.

For the NON VW 507.00 specification Mobil One TDT, Delvac One 5w40

There was a time when you ALMOST had to stand in the maintenance bay of a VW dealer to make sure the dealership's technician's were using the correct oils (BP "Castrol" ) for the TDI's ! I actually do that NOW for the 2012 Touareg and 2009 Jetta TDI's, but the two dealers I have used are pretty dialed in to the correct oil products for the TDI's. Plus, I bring the correct oils if they are STILL clueless.

·
Registered
577 Posts
In light of the original post, I noticed the $53. price tag for 5 L or 10.40 per L and probably shipping costs extra. That would make it a minimum of 49% more than the PEP Boy's "off the shelf" sale price. I am glad to see things are getting better and there are more choices. In my case, over 11 years and 180,000 miles.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
In light of the original post, I noticed the $53. price tag for 5 L or 10.40 per L and probably shipping costs extra. That would make it a minimum of 49% more than the PEP Boy's "off the shelf" sale price. I am glad to see things are getting better and there are more choices. In my case, over 11 years and 180,000 miles.
I think the price break is better if you buy the case of four 5L bottles. About $35 a bottle before shipping. Still, it's German oil, you will for certain be getting a Group IV or Group V base 507.00 oil.

I've no idea though if you could get 20,000 miles out of it on US quality diesel fuel before the TBN number goes kaputt on an oil sample. You'd want to for sure pull a sample at, oh 12 to 15k miles to see where the results are at.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I consider it a cheap insurance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, most of the oils (including Mobil 1) are hydrocracked group III with the exception of Amsoil and Redline. If you want a real group IV, V oil you have to look at the European brands. I'll gladly pay $20-$30 more a year to have a real deal in my engine.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Mobil 1 ESP Formula VW507.00 5w-30 is made, I believe, in Belgium? Castrol SLX Professional LL-03 5w-30 is made in Austria. Whether or not they are all Group III, I do not know. Pretty sure if it's measured in a 1 liter bottle for sale, you are getting the real deal, at least a motor oil good for 10k miles.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I consider it a cheap insurance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, most of the oils (including Mobil 1) are hydrocracked group III with the exception of Amsoil and Redline. If you want a real group IV, V oil you have to look at the European brands. I'll gladly pay $20-$30 more a year to have a real deal in my engine.
While I understand the sentiment, the subject is WAY more complex and controversial than that.

So for my .02 cents, until I see sharply lower wear metal figures on UOA's (better than Mobil One 5w30 ESP) @ 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles and 30,000 miles, my monies are on Mobil One, even as I use BP and Total 507.00 in both low ash TDI's.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Mobil 1 ESP Formula VW507.00 5w-30 is made, I believe, in Belgium? Castrol SLX Professional LL-03 5w-30 is made in Austria. Whether or not they are all Group III, I do not know. Pretty sure if it's measured in a 1 liter bottle for sale, you are getting the real deal, at least a motor oil good for 10k miles.
Liqui-Moly Synthetic 5w-40 is made in Germany, however for the US market they supply a group III oil and for the rest of the world a group IV, just because they can get away with calling a hydrocracked oil a "fully synthetic" in USA, not to mention the savings.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
While I understand the sentiment, the subject is WAY more complex and controversial than that.

So for my .02 cents, until I see sharply lower wear metal figures on UOA's (better than Mobil One 5w30 ESP) @ 10,000 miles, 20,000 miles and 30,000 miles, my monies are on Mobil One, even as I use BP and Total 507.00 in both low ash TDI's.
Do you have some oil samples tested and the results that you can share with us out of your Touareg TDI motor yet, as I believe you are still under free Castrol SLX Professional LL03 warranty oil changes?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts