Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

2014 Touareg TDI, USA, post "dieselgate" fix. 75k or so miles.

I've been noting an occasional loss of power in the 1200-1700 RPM range. It either drops down and then continues on or gets slightly jerky. the problem both happens and goes away in less than a 1 second period. For example, I'm accelerating from a stop light and between 1000 and 2000 RPM in first gear, then engine jumps several times within a 1-1.5 second period.

This doesn't happen every time -- perhaps once or twice in a 10 mile stop and go journey. No fault codes or check engine light. This only seems to happen when the car is in gear -- if I rev the engine to 2k RPM in neutral it's smooth as glass. We recently moved right before this started (coincidentally got the diesel fix completed at the same time) and I suppose diesel quality in our new location could be a factor, but this really is just a guess.

Anything anyone here would check? I had the thought of cleaning the MAF and perhaps having a new fuel filter installed even though I'm a tad early, but to be honest, **I'm definitely not a mechanic** so this may not even be worth looking into. It isn't consistent and doesn't happen every time so I'm guessing it isn't a hose...

The dealer has basically said if there is no check engine light, they've got nothing they can do (which I get, but they've not even driven the vehicle other than to the service bay and back).

Thanks in advance,
DP

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious what you found with your TCM upgrade (if you followed through)? The trans shifting is my one disappointment with my '16 TDI. I lost (my choice) my '11 TDI in the settlement and snagged a 4K miles '16 Lux. I knew the settlement mods changed the trans shifting before buying, and my driving style isn't seriously affected by the warm-up shifting pattern because I drive a few miles on a rural road before the first stop sign. The lag in shifting, however, seems to affect turbo spool-up accentuating the lag compared to the '11 while the auto downshift when slowing is seriously different.

Having said all that, I'm wondering if your TCM upgrade affects the warranty? I assume it does, but am looking for comment from someone with experience. Many thanks for any insight you have and care to share.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Aufgeblassen

Hi all,

2014 Touareg TDI, USA, post "dieselgate" fix. 75k or so miles.

I've been noting an occasional loss of power in the 1200-1700 RPM range. It either drops down and then continues on or gets slightly jerky. the problem both happens and goes away in less than a 1 second period. For example, I'm accelerating from a stop light and between 1000 and 2000 RPM in first gear, then engine jumps several times within a 1-1.5 second period.

This doesn't happen every time -- perhaps once or twice in a 10 mile stop and go journey. No fault codes or check engine light. This only seems to happen when the car is in gear -- if I rev the engine to 2k RPM in neutral it's smooth as glass. We recently moved right before this started (coincidentally got the diesel fix completed at the same time) and I suppose diesel quality in our new location could be a factor, but this really is just a guess.

Anything anyone here would check? I had the thought of cleaning the MAF and perhaps having a new fuel filter installed even though I'm a tad early, but to be honest, **I'm definitely not a mechanic** so this may not even be worth looking into. It isn't consistent and doesn't happen every time so I'm guessing it isn't a hose...

The dealer has basically said if there is no check engine light, they've got nothing they can do (which I get, but they've not even driven the vehicle other than to the service bay and back).

Thanks in advance,
DP
Sounds like it could be a "dirty" throttle position sensor. Try (with engine off) going on and off accelerator fully and fast 15 times in a row. I had this problem on a vehicle, and doing thusly fixed the problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the answer to my tranny-shifting question by rummaging around elsewhere on the site--thanks to all who have posted on this issue. Reader's Digest version (for anyone reading this & wondering the same thing): the transmission programming accompanying the emissions "fix" cannot be accessed and/or changed. There was a fair amount of conversation around this question, i.e. is "impossible" really "impossible". Impossible covers a lot, but the strong statements from Touareg mechanics on the site said that it hasn't been done and would take a massive effort to make it possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts