Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi got a 2014 Touareg 180 & am looking at doing this possibly in the spare tyre well, or make a cabinet for it in the back

Wondering if theres anyone in WA thats had it done, by anyone they can recommend ? Seems like one of those jobs where someone that has done it before, will no doubt know all the tricks etc

Any pics be great thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The existing battery is already under the left hand front seat.

Here's a how-to for a battery in a box mod:

Aux Battery and split charge project - myTreg forums - Page 2

See also post #30 for under the spare wheel if you don't have an ad-blu tank cluttering up the space.

Someone, in the last few days, posted a how-to on here on installing a gel battery in the spare wheel well. Try the Search function [edit- see below!].

Here's another thread:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/second-battery-install-pics-and-semi-how-to-57243.html

This is the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/additional-battery-for-v6-tdi-16091.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi got a 2014 Touareg 180 & am looking at doing this possibly in the spare tyre well, or make a cabinet for it in the back

Wondering if theres anyone in WA thats had it done, by anyone they can recommend ? Seems like one of those jobs where someone that has done it before, will no doubt know all the tricks etc

Any pics be great thanks
I have a 80 AH Sealed Battery in a Battery Box with a Redac 6 amp Battery controller. I put it in the back of the Treg and plug it into the 12 Volt Accessory plug. The Redac isolates the Battery box from the main battery when the motor is not running. I plug my Waeco fridge into the battery box. All works well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2ND BATTERY INSTALL

Hi so all this works without having to wire it back to the main battery ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes no wiring required. It is also portable so when and if I buy my next Touareg I can take it with me. The beauty of the Redac is also I have a 12 volt lead to plug the battery box into my caravan so when I stay overnight or do not drive for a few days the battery stays fully charged under the control of the Redarc
Let me know if you want a wiring diagram for the Battery box as I made it myself

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Crewie, yeah if you can send me the diagram ?, snds like you did it all yourself, ?

Are you an auto electrician, or the whole things pretty easy to do ?

Wonder if that gel battery mod someones done could still fit the space saver in, ?, those gel batteries look so space efficient

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can give me your email address I will email one to you. I used to be a Chief Petty Officer Electrician in the RAN a long time ago, however if you are reasonably handy with cables and a soldering Iron you should not have to much trouble. If all else fails an Auto Electrician would be able to make one up for you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey crewie i almost went with yr set up until i found one of these today. Expensive at around $6-650 but completely portable

Apparently all that has to be done is a 6mm wire from the main battery with a fuse built in, back to the baintech, & good to go

Anyone got one of these & how they find it, pro's cons. Only downside thus far i can see is weight, They'd be every bit 20-25kg, so maybe not so portable

Baintech Powertop Portable Power Battery Pack BOX 100AH GEL Deep Cycle Battery | eBay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a quick look at the Braintech Web site. It looks like a upmarket version of what I built and from what I read looks like it will meet your needs. With the only differenace with mine because the Redarc only draws 6 amps it can be plugged into a 10 amp accessory socket. The Braintech will draw more amps and that is probably why it needs to have a wire run back to battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, few auto electricians said 6 amps arent enough, but works for you by the sounds ?

tried the baintech & it fits in the spare wheel well,...just (bonus) just need to wk out a way of securing it. And yeah the extra ampage is why it needs to be hard wired back to the main battery. 6mm lead with some kind of fuse, with an andesrson plug on the end apparently all thats needed. ? From the main battery to where i need the plug only looks about a meter or so

Anyone know is it much work removing the pass seat & anything else needed to do this ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thinking of buying new Touareg 2016 model and want to fit 2nd battery to run 60lt engel which I use for work and play. Currently have Grand Cherokee with same setup with the 2nd battery under passenger seat(main under drivers) & it works well. Want to be able to something similar & have it hidden away so under the spare tyre seems a goer. Any advice & pictures would be a great help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone knows the size/spec of the bolt that you need to undo to tilt the seat back ?

Tried super cheap, auto one & none that fit, (or feel like they fit properly ?) Was told torx bolts will fit ?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Triple square or xzn bit size 10 if I remember correctly. If you don't have a set order one you will use it more than you think.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes that is the set. As for the bolt you should be able to get them from VW, I just reused the original one if the head isn't stripped out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts