Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 295/45/20 would fit on a 2014 TDI R-Line without rubbing, etc? The OEM tires are 275/45/20, but looking for something a littler taller/wider if possible and have a good opportunity to pick up a set in 295/45. Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Overall diameter would only be 3/4" larger. Speedo would be out 2.38% (too slow). So likely not an issue for rubbing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm definitely not worried about the speedometer, just wanted to make sure these would fit.

If anyone else has any insight or opinions, or better yet, actual experience with this tire size, please let me know!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I run that size tire on a 20x10 wheel lowered on H&R springs without any rubbing. That said I'm a gasser and not a TDI unfortunately.. I seem to recall an intercooler up in there behind the wheel well liner on older TDIs if i'm not mistaken that could be the difference in possible rubbing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If those tyres fit the speedo will be more accurate!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Remember that apart from the hole in the middle which has to be exact for obvious reasons, tire sizes are nominal and the overall diamater in any size can vary quite a bit by up to half an inch or even more, and that can even apply to to different tire models from the same manufacturer.

So if you are on the limit for the tire/wheel opening on the car you need to be thinking along the lines of a trial fit in order to make sure that there is no rubbing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Based on my own research I would suggest going with a 295/40/20 just because it is a more common tire size, so you will have a great variety of choice for tires, possible better pricing, and could be less hassle if you ever need to replace 1 or 2 tires.

Honestly I don't think there is much to gain from a 295/45/20 versus 295/40/20. The middle number stands for aspect ratio (%). For example 275/45/20 the sidewall is a 45% aspect ratio of 275, likewise 295/45/20 is 45% aspect ratio of 295.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I was not looking at this size in particular, just came across a really good deal on a set of barely used tires in this size so wanted to get input since I can't "test fit" without buying...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Grand Cherokee SRT comes stock with 295/45/20 so I assumed that was partially why the 295/45 wasn't but a few $$ more than a 275/45/20 tire as there are quite a few of those on the road. 295/40/20 are a bit more expensive. i've been running this size on these same wheels through at least 3 sets of tires dating back to my 05 Touareg..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just in case anyone else has this question, I fit 295/45/20 Yokohoma tires on the OEM wheels of my 2014 TDI R-Line and there are no fitment or other issues to note.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts