Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on getting them mounted and the alignment has to wait until tomorrow, but a fitment picture is always nice. I'll get closer pics of the front/back sides and the (lack of) clearance to the fender liner.

'04 v8 with air
5mm spacers all around

Of course, pictures of them getting worked will come as soon as it gets off the rack in the AM.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice looking tires! What are you upgrading from? Definitely interested to hear how they perform in terms of grip, road noise, and efficiency.

I'm considering an upgrade myself in the next few months, the Scorpion Verdes that came stock are already showing considerable wear with just under 10k miles on them, pretty disappointing. They're good enough road tires, but I definitely won't be going with them as replacements based on what I've seen of their wearing so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
255/55/18 Sumitomo HTRs w/ load range 109 were on it when I bought it back in Dec and were down to the wear bars in the middle, but showed more wear on the sides due to the pressures being low. Previous owners had them at 35lbs.

I'm hoping for decent on-road manners with good off-road since we live right on the Apalachicola National Forest. Plus the Goodyears have a 116 load range, which will be better for wear on the softer off-readers and hauling, but not ride as rough as the rest of the same size A/T or M/T tires that are load E.

·
Registered
396 Posts
275/65/18 -- 32.3 inch diameter and 54# per tire? Did you jack up your suspension to get these to fit?

I notice a difference in performance from 28.8" to 29.5" to 30" diameter . . . and a change in weight from 34 to 38# per tire.

But I don't drive in mud if I can help it. I can see experimenting with a 245/70/17, though. That one is 30.7" and only 49#.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suspension is all stock air components at factory specs. I even did the factory leveling procedure with vcds recently to ensure it was right.

The tires rubbed the front edge of the front liners when turning on the bulges that are where the v10's have the vents. Obviously the v8 gas model doesn't have the vents, so I warmed the bulges and pushed them in. I haven't found any more rubbing.

Made a short trip on some forestry roads and they felt much more stable and capable than the street tires. Back on the pavement and up to 60mph, yeah, they're mud tires. But, this is north Florida, that's what a "truck" should sound like.

The ride is nicer due to the extra sidewall. And with sport mode enabled it still feels planted enough to make twisty roads enjoyable.

Pics at all heights, then the lack of clearance before I pushed the bulge in the fender liners in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had MTRs on a half ton truck about 8-10 years ago....they were amazing tires! But damn were they loud and they didn't last very long.

Meanest looking off-road tires around! Good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex, highest is xtra. Load, auto,offroad, xtra, then side shots at auto and clearance at auto height as well.

I'll have to wait until next weekend to really test them out. Couldn't fit a good trip in this time.

5mm spacers at all 4corners as well.

The new MTRs have an asymmetric tread pattern that's supposed to make them better onroad and quieter than previous MTRs. I should be doing less than 10k a year, so hoping for a good 4 years of service shouldn't be too far out of line.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
I had a set of those on my Toyota 4x4, great tires in mud, but terrible life, perhaps 28k miles on them. Ironically I put BF Goodrich A/T KO's on afterwards in 31x 10.50 and got 90k miles out of those... go figure...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BFG A/Ts are notorious for excellent tread life but they're only available in load E in this size as are most other offroad tires. I really wanted to stick with a C tire to compensate for the heavy lugs and maintain ride comfort which left my with these and the basic General Grabbers, which don't seem aggressive enough for the goop that we get here. I may change my mind after a few years with these...

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
BFG A/Ts are notorious for excellent tread life but they're only available in load E in this size as are most other offroad tires. I really wanted to stick with a C tire to compensate for the heavy lugs and maintain ride comfort which left my with these and the basic General Grabbers, which don't seem aggressive enough for the goop that we get here. I may change my mind after a few years with these...
With all the electrical on your 2004, and them being notorious for service problems /first year production... don't be surprised if the T rex leaves you stranded on a watery mud bogging fest.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Get some mud flaps on. Those bigger tires really throw the dirt and rock around. My 265's will put dirt clods on the roof.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It did well. I was a bit busy driving to take pictures, but the Touareg went through things my 4x4 Isuzu wouldn't, and with ease. One random trail pic that wasn't blurry and one before leaving the forest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
did you have to use the spacers? or could you get by with out them?
i have 255/70/18 dueler at take off from a jeep, but i want to go wider.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The tires rubbed the front edge of the front liners when turning on the bulges that are where the v10's have the vents. Obviously the v8 gas model doesn't have the vents, so I warmed the bulges and pushed them in. I haven't found any more rubbing.
I just put 285-60-18 Terra Grapplers on mine and love the look. They are slightly smaller in diameter than the tires you have. Yes they do just kiss the front inner fenders at full lock with 5mm spacers unless you have the suspension at off road height then they don't rub.

I'm lovin' the much more serious off road look. Just picked up a couple of rattle cans of flat black plastidip to complete the rolling stock transformation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did you have to use the spacers? or could you get by with out them?
i have 255/70/18 dueler at take off from a jeep, but i want to go wider.
I actually didn't need the spacers to fit the 275/65/18, but 285/60/18 do require them. I ordered them ahead of time and decided to use them no matter what to push things out a little just for looks. I would imagine they definitely wouldn't be needed for a 255, as the main issue is the upper ball joint as the tire gets wider.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went trail riding this weekend. It was raining and I haven't gotten confident enough to hold my phone to video while going through anything difficult. I'll try to fab up a mount before the next trip as there are some places I was amazed. And one I was not thrilled.

The video shows a rise up from a creek crossing. The end has a good depth rut and a ledge. I got hung there with the lack of articulation and had to stop filming to back up and power over. So, tires are good but only make up for so much of the Treg's inabilities.

There were a few mud holes where the depth put the whole tire under and I made it through with no struggle, although something in the water/mud snagged my lower fender trim and kept it. Ordered that to arrive later this week.

Played this afternoon with disconnecting the front sway bar as an experiment to get a little more cross-axle movement. The treg definitely rolls around a lot more on the street now. We'll see how the work drive this week goes. I threw the bolts in the back with tools in case it gets too discomforting.

I also need to sort out something underneath as literally a log got jammed up in the crossmember. Didn't stop movement, but the rear mountings for the plastic shield is all bent up.

Of course, drove it to church this morning with the wife and baby nice and comfy. The tires do well to sing the boy to sleep on the road.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Awesome.
I will be binning my sway bars soon.
I with the help of some blu-tac was able to wedge my phone between the screen and dash and it worked very well. That was before I sorted a GoPro.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rode with some folks today. Too busy riding to take videos most of the time, but we stopped to play in a couple puddles. This was the shallowest I went through with probably the slickest bottom, but no vids of the others.

Got high centered right at the start of the trip on a steep drop. Time to make a skid plate since my splash shield is looooong gone now.

Here's a sample of some of the area we ride in. Sorry for my sloppy video skills.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts