Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this with you.

I was comparing speed between the Speedometer and the Navigation System and found a big difference. Using tire hight calculators 265/50/20 tires should make the reading difference much less than the original 275/40/20 tires.
So I went for the new size and the calculations were right. The tires have been on for a few months now and I'm having no problems at all. I have pictures in my profile if you want to see how it fits.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
You have about the same rolling diameter as I do with 265/60/18.
With the larges size the speedo is now correct.
It seemed like gasmileage went down but really did not since it will record less miles on the odometer too. So with the speedo off what it should be it looks like you are getting better mileage then you really do.

Anybody try this?. keeping track of the miles driven on the speedo vs miles on GPS?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I periodically compare my odo with actual distance travelled according to GPS. This discrepancy changes over time as the tyres wear, because they obviously get smaller.

I've found that my indicated fuel consumption actually increased due to the fact that I travel a shorter distance on the same amount of fuel according to the odo. In reality this is not the case, it's just the odo that is inaccurate now. Actual fuel consumption didn't change noticeably with the bigger tyres.

FYI I run 265/65R17. Used to be 235/65R17.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't consider 20s to be large if you put a 50 profile tire on it.

Now you might hate me for this, but my next step might be putting 22 wheels. My car came originally with 40 profile tires and it felt ok so I'll go next for 265/40/22 tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts