Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the club so bear with me. I'm familiar with the existing threads on using 255/50/19 tires to replace the 265/50/19. And I have checked the math that everyone has done and it works out that there is a very large buffer between a fully loaded Touareg and the upper limit of the 107 load range. I called my local dealer and explained exactly what I wanted to do and the service manager came back on the line and said it would be ok and it wouldn't invalidate the warranty. So, my question is: is anyone actually using/used this size and are you having any issues? I'm going to put michelin latitudes on my 2012 Touareg TDI Lux and wanted to know if there are any of you using these successfully.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A lot of people use Michelin Latitude Tour.

It is the tire recommended by VW to fix the steering wheel shake that afflicts some T3s.

I can't help on size though.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My T3 is on Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires 265/50/R19. Good tires, but nothing to be in awe about. I cannot get your point - why not OE recommended size and load rating? They are ~$15 apart per tire on tirerack.com and this is the only what is obvious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It isn't that..I have friend who bought a mercedes suv and switched the wheels and tires at purchase. They are 255/50/19 michelin latitudes. I can just get them at a very good price if they will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It isn't that..I have friend who bought a mercedes suv and switched the wheels and tires at purchase. They are 255/50/19 michelin latitudes. I can just get them at a very good price if they will work.
Depends what very good price is. But just go for it. 1cm width is not enough to worry about. It might expose the rim a little more to curb rash, but that would be about it.

I have the Michelin latitude tour on mine in the 275-45/19 size and as was mentioned earlier, nothing to write home about. You didn't mention which latitude you had (they have the summer tire called sport and all season called tour.) In fact as an all season they suck in loose snow but are pretty good on packed and in the dry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you say "work", what do you exactly mean?

You can go +/- 4% width of OEM tire specs without really affecting anything except appearance, and that matter is completely up to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tires

Thanks to all that have replied..I really appreciate it. The Michelin latitudes turned into not so great of a deal so I have decided to try the Nitto 421Q's. They don't have alot of reviews yet but the existing one's sound promising. I am using 255/55/19's which solves the load rating issue and they should handle better in the snow as well. And for those of you who are thinking of trying them I found a great deal at a place called valuetread.com. They were $160.00 per tire with $75.00 shipping. I called to see if discount tires would price match and ended up getting them for $700.00 delivered to my door. Thanks again for all of the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.