Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Just purchased a lightbar and wanted to get any advice out there on install / difficulty etc? I figured can't be too hard? Was looking to install with a drill in behind the lower grill mesh (seen the trick done well on here by Singh). How hard is the wiring? I have a custom loom ready to go. Amy advice recommendations greatly appreciated!

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,983 Posts
Hey Just purchased a lightbar and wanted to get any advice out there on install / difficulty etc? I figured can't be too hard? Was looking to install with a drill in behind the lower grill mesh (seen the trick done well on here by Singh). How hard is the wiring? I have a custom loom ready to go. Amy advice recommendations greatly appreciated!
Wiring is the easy part! Get on with drilling and securing it in the right place first :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice skank..I'm guessing you wired to battery no issue under the drivers seat through the door somehow?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Correct, I have it wired right to the battery but with an in-line fuse and a quick connect fitting. I basically pop the fuse in and plug the light bar in and just run the wire through the door jam. I use it when camping or snow storms. I didn't see any reason to drill a hole or wire it down the door jam, into the engine, and through the firewall.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not sure how lights placed so high up would do any good in a snow storm. From my experience in snow storms you want the light as low as possible to not blind you.

Reactions: lml999

·
Registered
737 Posts
should clarify, for the aftermath of snow storms, driving to work, pulling out buddies and such.
Only two minor issues with that:

#1 Those lights may be covered with snow.
#2 The roof line will block illumination of the road ahead of you for about 30-40 feet.

In other words, the only thing you're going to do is to blind other drivers, piss people off, and probably collect equipment violation fines.

Otherwise, it looks like a good idea.

Do you really need these to drive to work? Where exactly do you work? In a jungle? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are not legal to use on road in PA. If you do hopefully you don't get caught. They would be for off road use only where you have them mounted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still going to go with singhs install placement, just looking at alternative positions. I think skank has a good (hopefully) option there, as long as it hits road ok. Skank can you send any pics of actual lighting thrown by these lights! Cheers

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know a professional snowmobiler and she has a bunch of led lights placed on her silverado 2500. She said the one on her roof was he least efficient since it reflects pretty badly off her hood. I could see that happening and was wondering if the lights on your roof were actually helpful and not just a cool gimmick?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know a professional snowmobiler and she has a bunch of led lights placed on her silverado 2500. She said the one on her roof was he least efficient since it reflects pretty badly off her hood. I could see that happening and was wondering if the lights on your roof were actually helpful and not just a cool gimmick?
I've done this before. I've needed the lights up high so I can illuminate holes and also the little ledge that could be a hole because of the shadow but now isn't because the lights are up high. I solved the reflection problem by putting a little plate underneath the lights that protruded far enough to cast a shadow just in front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've done this before. I've needed the lights up high so I can illuminate holes and also the little ledge that could be a hole because of the shadow but now isn't because the lights are up high. I solved the reflection problem by putting a little plate underneath the lights that protruded far enough to cast a shadow just in front of the vehicle.
Makes sense in the outback. Not so much in Center City, Philadelphia!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Makes sense in the outback. Not so much in Center City, Philadelphia!
Ha, yes. One would question the need for any additional lights then. Unless its a part of preparing a post-apocalyptic vehicle of course.

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stu

In post#5 he states that he brings it through the "door jamb". Maybe OK for short periods but I would be concerned with ruining the seals.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Stu

In post#5 he states that he brings it through the "door jamb". Maybe OK for short periods but I would be concerned with ruining the seals.
Im a medical student/ search and rescue team member/ first responder. I only use it to light up scenes, emergencies, camping. Never on road use. I had the lights mounted up higher and forward on a roof rack while camping but the glare off the hood was too harsh. These help light up and spread lightweight zero glare and a clean cut off above the headlights.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Euro Skank

I understood the way you use the lights from your earlier post, and I make no judgement, its your car. In fact I think that its great that you have posted your method of wiring, it may help someone looking for a temporary solution.

One of the things that I love about the Treg is the double seals that make it dust proof inside (particularly when travelling in outback Aussie) and maybe short periods of running the wires past the seals will not damage them, but it is not something that I would do.
I think that Hedditch was hoping that you had found a way of running the wires up to the roof permanently, and I simply pointed out that you answered his question earlier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts