Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Hi Singh.
I have a launch edition with Innovision etc. There is no way to choose those in your profile for this group. Previously drove a Ford G6E. Very happy so far with the exception being lack of DAB. It defies logic that this is not included.
nice.
just add the vehicle and specs to your signature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great to see these ideas getting tossed around. This is a long trip so life will be our biggest obstacle, Bremer Bay probably doable but Pilbara too far - we'll do it one day, but plan to see all that lies between too! Can't commit, but interested to see where the discussion leads.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Singh I have tried to put my model in my profile but the software options do not include the latest model.
Steve, please assist here, we need to update the models in the options

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Great to see these ideas getting tossed around. This is a long trip so life will be our biggest obstacle, Bremer Bay probably doable but Pilbara too far - we'll do it one day, but plan to see all that lies between too! Can't commit, but interested to see where the discussion leads.
It is a long trip but worth to get out be experiencing the landscape cruising in the Touaregs :)

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
Steve, please assist here, we need to update the models in the options
I wish I could mate, but the propellor head/boffins (website developers/tech admin) have ignored our corner of the world for the past month or so.
I will try again.

Reactions: Singh

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey fellow Tregers. Very excited to hear about your idea to come over to the west. Bremer bay is beautiful but limited with the offer to test our beasts. I’d love to meet in Alice Springs and take an exiting way across. The Pillbra has a lot of dirt road and dust a hidden gems to offer. Another reason is the best travel time is winter what is an welcome time for us southern people ( I live in Esperance). The Tanamai is long, dusty and can be challenging to anything towed. And as last the Canning Stock Route is probably a challenge many of us like to tackle. In my case to show off our machines to the big boys?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,

I live in Perth and know the areas being discussed reasonably well.
We are potential starters in the second half of next year.
We haven’t been on a muster, but are happy to provide guidance about our backyard.
Firstly, Seafarer28 and Imor2624 are right, climate is a serous consideration.

KARAJINI is spectacular and underrated, but only in winter. There are many other places to trip around that area, eg an iron ore mine, Millstream, Exmouth, Ningaloo/ Coral Bay, Shark Bay and Geraldton.
There is also a lovely unsealed drive south from Paraburdoo to Mount Augustus, Kennedy Ranges, Gascogne Junction and Murchison Settement to Mullewa.
I’m sure there are more challenging routes somewhere too like out to Rudall River NP.

BREMER BAY is also beautiful, but cold in winter. There are many other places around to make a delightful holiday like Esperance, Albany, etc, as Imor3624 said. Then you can keep going through the forests through Walpole, Pemberton to Augusta, Dunsborough and the Margaret River region generally.
Off road routes are rarer in the south West. The challenging ones not far from Bremer include the Balladonia-Esperance ‘road’, tracks out to Israelite Bay and the Holland Track. Unsealed roads include the Norseman - Hyden or Newdegate Rd or the Southern Cross - Hyden sand road.
One option might be to meet for a few days in Kalgoorlie when the seasons change. (There is also a VW dealer there).

Those doing the north and Karajini (or the big lap) could do that first then finish in Kal. Those going south could start there and continue down to Bremer and the south west.
Kal would also suit those coming or going via the Great Central Road (the worlds longest shortcut) or other routes like the Connie Sue.

Cheers, Brett

Reactions: Steve_L

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also meant to say that Katajini is easily accessible by 2wd vehicle via Nautarra in the west or Auski Roadhouse to Newman in the east or Port Hedland in the north.
The unsealed roads in Karajini will feel like a highway in a Touareg.

Also, Bremer has only one caravan park to stay at. Karajini has only a couple of NP campsites and a good caravan park at Tom Price.

Reactions: Singh

·
Registered
125 Posts
The unsealed rd at Karajini is sponsored by Bridgestone. There are in fact 2 caravan parks in Bremer. Good one at Cheynes Beach

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Hi all,

I live in Perth and know the areas being discussed reasonably well.
We are potential starters in the second half of next year.
We haven’t been on a muster, but are happy to provide guidance about our backyard.
Firstly, Seafarer28 and Imor2624 are right, climate is a serous consideration.

KARAJINI is spectacular and underrated, but only in winter. There are many other places to trip around that area, eg an iron ore mine, Millstream, Exmouth, Ningaloo/ Coral Bay, Shark Bay and Geraldton.
There is also a lovely unsealed drive south from Paraburdoo to Mount Augustus, Kennedy Ranges, Gascogne Junction and Murchison Settement to Mullewa.
I’m sure there are more challenging routes somewhere too like out to Rudall River NP.

BREMER BAY is also beautiful, but cold in winter. There are many other places around to make a delightful holiday like Esperance, Albany, etc, as Imor3624 said. Then you can keep going through the forests through Walpole, Pemberton to Augusta, Dunsborough and the Margaret River region generally.
Off road routes are rarer in the south West. The challenging ones not far from Bremer include the Balladonia-Esperance ‘road’, tracks out to Israelite Bay and the Holland Track. Unsealed roads include the Norseman - Hyden or Newdegate Rd or the Southern Cross - Hyden sand road.
One option might be to meet for a few days in Kalgoorlie when the seasons change. (There is also a VW dealer there).

Those doing the north and Karajini (or the big lap) could do that first then finish in Kal. Those going south could start there and continue down to Bremer and the south west.
Kal would also suit those coming or going via the Great Central Road (the worlds longest shortcut) or other routes like the Connie Sue.

Cheers, Brett
Thanks Brett.
appreciate your knowledge and experience...would be great if we can work out an itinerary, during winter of course, so us easterners can make the best of it too.
I have explored the northern parts of wa via tanami and comfortable with the idea of us meeting up at Alice Springs and coming across the tanami to meet up you guys somewhere before we enter Pilbara.
Given the distance for us and two weeks to get there and back i am thinking we’ll plan a good week of muster there.
Of course people can then disperse from there individually to do their own thing or return back together.

agree with the idea of doing the big lap and wandering down to finish at Kalgoorlie

Exciting!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think you guys (and gals) should do the Karijini, esp as you want to do it in winter months.
Further to previous comments, Bremer Bay has 2 caravan parks in town and a great camping site about 10km out of town. Then there is beach camping on Dillon Beach and Stream beach (and others in the surrounds). There are great tracks, beach driving and dunes that provide a great challenge. Then there are others that I would not even consider, although I have done the Simpson desert and the Canning Stock Route. I mention this not as a “alternative “ muster that is being organised, but rather as an indication for you Treggers in WA, if you want to enjoy your Tregs with your family in the most beautiful part of the world?. Cheers, Werner

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gday I endorse what Brett and Werner say ive done 7 trips to the west from Adelaide towing a 21'caravan both up through The centre and down the west coast and the opposite way and there are so many magnificent places to visit and as mentioned its best choosing the destination for best weather. We end up Darwin in the dry season to get away from the cold in the south if the choice for the get together is the pilbra and depending on dates maybe doable for us
Steve

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
For the Pilbara side of the plan:

The best times to visit The Pilbara for ideal weather are May - September.

Any thoughts on where we might be based?

We're in 2 minds as to how long we will have off work. I'm keen to push on to Darwin, then back home via Alice, Port A'Gutta, The Paddock, Perth. But my wife is concerned that the expected duration of that trip (8 - 12 weeks) would mean she would not want to return to work (not a bad idea). Her suggestion is we wander slowly up to the Pilbara, then after the muster, we come home.

I can have any amount of time off work (lucky me).

What are other's thinking at this (early'ish) stage?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Singh, are you suggesting a trip duration of 3 weeks from the east coast is doable? (Practically?)
Thats probably just within the bounds of possibility for us... just. I can't imagine doing it any faster than that would feel like a holiday at all :)

my breakneck analysis:

10,347km over 21 days is 492km/day....
I feel like you need 5 days where you dont drive or dont drive far. So its more like 650km/day.
Did you mean to articulate 2 weeks there and 2 weeks back?

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Hi gldgti
Being a mere employee I don't have the luxury of taking more than 3 weeks, and to be honest I would prefer more time but for me personally I will have to make it work in three weeks.
Some ofcourse can take more time whilst there or enroute.
Doing long drives to get there and making the most of the time and slowing it down there makes sense to me.
I like your map and route, alternative return could be via great Central and touching the western coast to see some of the magnificent spots...more planning...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm in the same boat Singh. 3 weeks off for me would be a stretch! Plus Duncan is starting school 2020 :). I value your opinion about how feasible it really is to do those kind of km in that space of time though. I think it will be a real challenge to do it with 2 kids :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,019 Posts
I'm in the same boat Singh. 3 weeks off for me would be a stretch! Plus Duncan is starting school 2020 :). I value your opinion about how feasible it really is to do those kind of km in that space of time though. I think it will be a real challenge to do it with 2 kids :cool:
We came to Perth from Newcastle (RAAF posting) in January 1992. 2 cars. 2 trailers. 2 kids (4.5y + 2 months old baby), and a very tired, sick 8yo German Shepherd.

I planned and executed a 13 day trip to get here, mainly because the RAAF allowances allowed that, and we needed to consider the 2 month old baby, and the poor GSD who struggled to even get out of his trailer.

10 years later, we did a non-stop drive to Melbourne. Commodore + trailer. We took it in turns to sleep in the wagon while the other adult + kid had their moment sitting up front.

Kids are resilient, and only need different entertainment to what they would be exposed to at home. Word search books, guessing the colour of the next car to approach us and lots of other 'silly' games kept us all entertained.

For what it's worth, my wife and I came from Coffs to Perth last year with our caravan in 6.5 days.

If I can answer any questions, or offer any suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

The kids recount the journeys as a huge event in their upbringing. They're now 32 and 28 :D

Reactions: snodrogs and gldgti

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Steve for the encouragement.
I lean towards the "do it regardless of the hardships" mentality because yes - you're building memories and experiences and its got to be better than staying home - and yes kids will weather just about anything with a smile on their face at the end (ours seem to anyway). Mrs gldgti is not as convinced but thats not a dealbreaker at this stage.
For me the most difficult part will probably be 1) getting the required set up together in time and 2) ensuring I have enough AL saved up by the time the dates come around.
I think if its towards the back end of the dry it will be doable for us. Before June will be near impossible I reckon.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts