Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success using their Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist when towing?

Mine shuts off every time I tow my trailer (car inside the aluminum trailer) and I have to get it recalibrated. Additionally, I am wondering if anyone has turned off both of these features and towed without issue.

Thanks for the help!

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,313 Posts
Has anyone had success using their Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist when towing?

Mine shuts off every time I tow my trailer (car inside the aluminum trailer) and I have to get it recalibrated. Additionally, I am wondering if anyone has turned off both of these features and towed without issue.

Thanks for the help!
That's how it is designed in the Touareg and most other brands

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yes as soon as I hook up the trailer you lose that property because the trailer changes the dimensions of the car,weight etc. You'll get it back when you unhook.

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
464 Posts
Have you got VCDS to scan for the reason its turning off because it should not .... at least it does not on my 2013 7P with air suspension . As observed above it may be due to excessive weight on the tow ball causing the rear end to sag to much affecting the camera or radar alignment, there is a pitch sensor thats part of the ACC system to detect this. I guess this is more likely if you have steel springs rather than air suspension. I may also be more likely to happen if the base alignment setting is near the limit and a small shift with even normal trailer tow ball weight is enough to tip it over the alignment edge

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I want to back off my comments about ACC and trailers, My experience is with the blind side warning setting which turns off when I hook up the trailer. I assumed all systems to avoid driving safety issues would do the same.
My mistake.

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
464 Posts
Yes the OEM trailer control module turns off a number of systems the wont work or may have problems with a trailer attached, including the rear parking sensors, the rear blind spot assist and the power rear hatch opening but the ACC still should work as its not turned off.

·
Registered
2017 Vr6 wolfsburg
25 Posts
I tow a camper and use my ACC quite a bit when I tow. It's about 4500lbs and 500lbs of tongue weight. While it's always important it stay vigilant while towing, it is super convenient to use. Just make sure to change the setting to increase the distance from the vehicle in front of you.

edit: Lane assist does shut off and requires me to manually turn it back on after every tow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My ACC and lane assist work when towing. However, the side detection of cars is disabled when towing. I think that's logical, otherwise it would be constantly detecting my trailer sneaking up on me. ;)

I don't have a Wolfsburg (see car details on my signature) I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Yes, that's towing mode. Working as designed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts