Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. My first post/question. I have a 2017 3.0 V6 diesel Touareg and have just purchased a new caravan. The towing and ball weights of the van are well within the Touareg's stated capability but the rear of the vehicle is a little lower than I'd like with the van connected and WDHs fitted. I think I'd need to source some heavy duty coil springs to fit to the rear of the vehicle but am experiencing difficulty in sourcing same. I'd truly appreciate any information that could be provide to assist.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Hi Mudtrakie, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure you will find a heavier spring set to lift the rear of your Touareg to compensate for the extra weight on the towball load.

I think you should tell us a little more about the actual van you have bought and the load you are towing and most importantly, have you had all the weights verified by a weighbridge?
It is pretty much common knowledge that van manufacturer's published weight specifications are seldom accurate.

You say you use a WDH, could you also be more specific about what you use as weight distribution hitches are designed to be specific to the load that you are towing so it may well be that your WDH could just simply be a little be too soft for the towball weight and that's why your Touareg sags more than you wish.

In my experience with WDH use, I had no problem in equalising both vehicle and van so both to be level.

You have read your manual regarding the use of WDH's haven't you?

If you haven't already found this, I suggest you read my attempts to improve the suspension on my 7L (2008) Touareg for offroad performance and towability:
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/suspension-upgrade-steel-t2-tdi-166345.html

You will see in the above link that part of my suspension upgrades was the fitment of heavier springs manufactured by King Springs, I think they "will" suit your 7P but you will need to make your own enquiries.

You will find a lot of collective knowleage on the subject on this forum so shoot away, remember the quality of replies always equates to the details given in the question.

TonyB

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've towed a trailer with a #400 lbs tongue weight. When I first hookup the trailer it squats quite a bit. I use 800 lb springs (I think, though they could be 600 lbs springs). Once the WDH is attached the vehicle is almost level. I'd bet if you are seeing the nose up and rear squat it is because either you have a heavy tongue weight on it or your WDH bars are either not adjusted properly or perhaps you need stiffer WDH springs.

Do you by chance know what rating WDH springs you have?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts