Club Touareg Forum banner

121 - 140 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
This issue should be turned in to a TSB for VW Shops. What steps need to be taken for that to happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
This issue should be turned in to a TSB for VW Shops. What steps need to be taken for that to happen?

There is already a class action lawsuit (https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/vw-touareg-drain-valve-lawsuit-water-air-filters.shtml) in the US and VW is obviously aware of the problem because of the recalls in Germany and China. They just don't give a damn in the US because they can get away with doing nothing. Maybe something will happen with the lawsuit, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a TSB and I'm certainly not letting my car drown in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Luck From VW

check out the red circle

I ordered the 7P6 805 962 C from my local dealer and it did not include the part circled below, only the upper tray type portion. That missing part seems pretty critical to this fix working properly. The parts guy pulled up the schematic and could not find anything that resembled the picture.

I spoke to the service supervisor as well. They have no information on a recall or fix for the water ingestion issue we're discussing here. I'll call VW of America to see what they have to say.

FYI

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't believe there are only a few complaints on the DOT website, if we aren't vocal about it- VW will never fix the issue!

Please, file a complaint here:https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

It takes less than 5 minutes!

·
Registered
205 Posts
After cleaning out the Air Intake piping (Bumper to Airbox), the issue seems to have been greatly diminished if not completely resolved. I cleaned mine out, replaced the filter, and just went through a Nor'Easter with the nose facing NE. Also did some driving in very heavy rain. Big difference- no water in the airbox, no water in the piping.

A TSB wouldn't hurt, but just add flushing the little drains in the air pipe and in the airbox to your regular maintenance list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 TDI with 36k miles. I floored it from a stop and when I hit 45mph the engine started stuttering and it stopped accelerating. I lifted my foot and looked in the rear view and saw a ton of smoke. Everything seemed fine afterwards but I haven’t tried any hard acceleration since. Is this possibly water in the intake? I haven’t taken apart the air box yet due to the complexity, but I’ll probably attempt that today.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 TDI with 36k miles. I floored it from a stop and when I hit 45mph the engine started stuttering and it stopped accelerating. I lifted my foot and looked in the rear view and saw a ton of smoke. Everything seemed fine afterwards but I haven’t tried any hard acceleration since. Is this possibly water in the intake? I haven’t taken apart the air box yet due to the complexity, but I’ll probably attempt that today.
There are so many other more likely possibilities, and the check for water ingestion is pretty easy. Just open the Airbox and feel if the filter is wet at the bottom inch or two. You'd also see some water pooled in the airbox around the drain.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Maybe the problem isn't that wide spread. I am in my 2nd Touareg TDI for a total of 10yrs.of driving in both NE and south FL. Maybe I'm lucky,but I haven't had the issue yet. I Love,a mystery why the same car with the same conditions have different outcomes. I still don't get it. I'll complain if I have a problem.
When you open the air box, do you have to replace the filter even if there is no water? I have read that once you open the box the old filter won't seal[properly. Why not make the drain hole larger and less easy to plug? Still no issues as far as I know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Maybe the problem isn't that wide spread. I am in my 2nd Touareg TDI for a total of 10yrs.of driving in both NE and south FL. Maybe I'm lucky,but I haven't had the issue yet. I Love,a mystery why the same car with the same conditions have different outcomes. I still don't get it. I'll complain if I have a problem.
When you open the air box, do you have to replace the filter even if there is no water? I have read that once you open the box the old filter won't seal[properly. Why not make the drain hole larger and less easy to plug? Still no issues as far as I know.
I'm not sure how widespread it is. I experienced it in my new 2016 purchased in late 2018, so obviously it sat somewhere for a while. Cleaning the drains well fixed the issue for me.
The filter gets waterlogged, about the bottom inch or two. When it is waterlogged, it has little structural support and is at risk of blowing out, towards the turbo, damaging the turbo and then the turbo bits damaging the engine. It could also fail and let through a slug of water after (or during) a heavy rain, causing water ingestion. In my experience, the filter still sealed the airbox.
The air intake from the intake horn (right behind the front bumper) to the airbox has a low spot which collects water when the drain is clogged. It then spills over into the airbox.
After cleaning both drains (low spot and filter box) I experienced no water intrusion issues, even after a Nor'easter with the nose pointed into the rain and wind, although my house did.
Tl;dr- it's the drains- keep them clean and the system works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ll second that its the drain plug. Out of paranoia, I changed the new filter out after a few times driving in the rain. The first time the water was about 2-3 inches deep and the plug was clogged. The second time the drain appears to be working and the filter was clean. Had to change out the filter with another one, but I do feel better about this issue for now.

(Also still cant get the damn grill off, to attempt a more permanent fix. i.e. jerry-rigged dam)

·
Registered
205 Posts
The grill is tricky in that it uses some latching tabs- just pry them out There are 4 screws as well, iirc. It's easier than you think, just gut-check time when you are pulling on the grill, thinking the expensive bit is going to snap ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well my filter feels dry, so not sure if that was the issue or not, but I drove in the rain for about 8 hours a few weeks ago. What else would cause the engine stuttering and white smoke?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well my filter feels dry, so not sure if that was the issue or not, but I drove in the rain for about 8 hours a few weeks ago. What else would cause the engine stuttering and white smoke?
It's definitely not this water ingestion issue. You can ask the mod to move your post, or create another post to get more visibility for your issue.
Any diagnostic issue such as check engine light on or off, if you've performed a scan/vagcom check, and any troubleshooting done to this point would also be helpful in your post.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 3.6 Lux (gas) and after reading the first couple of pages of this topic I just went outside and checked my filter. The bottom 3-4 inches are wet and you could squeeze water out of the foam on the back of the filter. Does anyone know if VW has accepted responsibility for this design flaw and is there a fix.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 3.6 Lux (gas) and after reading the first couple of pages of this topic I just went outside and checked my filter. The bottom 3-4 inches are wet and you could squeeze water out of the foam on the back of the filter. Does anyone know if VW has accepted responsibility for this design flaw and is there a fix.
I dunno about responsibility, but the fix is to flush out your air intake pipe from bumper to airbox, or vice-versa if that's easier. A gallon or two of warm water should be sufficient. Afterwards, shove a bar towel down the air intake line from the airbox as far as you can while still being able to safely retrieve it. If it comes back sopping wet, flush again, maybe with some bleach. If your towel comes back just damp, you're set- button it back up.
Add running some water through your air intake pipe from bumper to airbox to your regular maintenance procedure.

Read the last page or two of posts to get an idea of the development of the resolution.

BTW, congratulations on the purchase!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Call me crazy, but I believe that the air intake pipe should be a zero maintenance part. You should not have to do anything to it. It should just work.

This is one case where you would be better to just junk the factory airbox and stick in a K&N filter. At least with the K&N, the worst thing you can damage is the MAF sensor and that only happens if you over-oil the filter.

The factory system will, on the other hand, destroy the entire engine. EEK!

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/vw-touareg-drain-valve-lawsuit-water-air-filters.shtml

If you find water inside your airbox or find a water damaged air filter, file on the NHTSA website.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Call me crazy, but I believe that the air intake pipe should be a zero maintenance part. You should not have to do anything to it. It should just work.

This is one case where you would be better to just junk the factory airbox and stick in a K&N filter. At least with the K&N, the worst thing you can damage is the MAF sensor and that only happens if you over-oil the filter.

The factory system will, on the other hand, destroy the entire engine. EEK!

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/vw-touareg-drain-valve-lawsuit-water-air-filters.shtml
Most of the vehicles affected are still under warranty, so this is probably not the best advice.
Unless your vehicle info is out of date, you're not affected.
K&N filters have a bad reputation for increasing engine wear.
It's a little weird you have no problem regularly washing, drying, and oiling a filter- but balk at splashing some water down a tube occasionally.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Lol. I am not a K&N retrofit fan, but in this one case... at least the K&N will never hydrolock and destroy the engine!

This is a factory part that is defective. It should require zero maintenance. VW should just make a new part that works correctly and install the new part under a voluntary recall.

Why was there a recall and fix for this in CHINA and not anywhere else in the world? https://www.chinaisgood.com/wn/326/xabgzczcnd.html

This car has even been dubbed "the only owner in the sunny open car", in this period, the media reported that 60 Touareg owners raised 300 thousand yuan to accuse volkswagen.

Volkswagen has released an official statement in August last year, to strengthen the drainage measures of vehicles, and to intensify the research solutions. This program officially announced in the day before, Volkswagen decided to recall defective vehicles.
As far as the VW Warranty is concerned, What fracking warranty? The one they tell you that your engine is dead and that it is your fault that you drove thru water? The one that they tell you that the damage was intentional and it is not covered warranty? The one they tell you to purchase a new engine from VW and pay for it yourself warranty?

To get a proper perspective on how VW operates, go look up the VW Ad-Blue system is not part of the VW emission system debacle. Read this link. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/02/volkswagen-tdi-owners-being-stuck-with-1000-adblue-heater-repairs-still-not-epa-compliant/

Eventually the defective adblue systems were fixed when the US Court System forced VW to cover the parts under a court mandated VW extended warranty.

If you want VW to fix this issue, do this. When you find water inside your airbox or find you have a water damaged air filter, file on the NHTSA website.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lol. I am not a K&N retrofit fan, but in this one case...

This is a factory part that is defective. It should require zero maintenance. VW should just make a new part that works correctly and install the new part under a voluntary recall.

As far as the VW Warranty is concerned, What fracking warranty? The one they tell you that your engine is dead and that it is your fault that you drove thru water? The one that they tell you that the damage was intentional and it is not covered warranty? The one they tell you to purchase a new engine from VW and pay for it yourself warranty?

Go look up the VW Adlbue system is not part of the emission system debacle. Read this link. https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/02/volkswagen-tdi-owners-being-stuck-with-1000-adblue-heater-repairs-still-not-epa-compliant/

Eventually the defective adblue systems were fixed when the US Court System forced VW to cover the parts under a court mandated VW extended warranty.
Voiding the entire fuel system warranty, and possibly the engine warranty to prevent splashing water down a pipe occasionally seems irrational to me.
This water ingestion issue is not the only possible issue that can happen to a Touareg; voiding the warranty for a very complex fuel system shouldn't be done lightly- especially when there is a simple remedy which maintains the full vehicle warranty.
My AdBlue system is warranted for 10 years/120K miles and I get free DEF refills if needed between service intervals, for the same length of time. I'm not sure what that has to do with the water ingestion issue.
Railing about an issue you don't experience, taking offense at conditions not required of you, and proposing unhelpful fixes just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to complain about general VW issues, I think there are better, more on-topic threads to do that in.

121 - 140 of 299 Posts