Club Touareg Forum banner

101 - 120 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
TI wonder if installing an Injen Hydroshield over the intake opening would solve the problem.
It probably wouldn't hurt, but a cage would need to be built to keep it open, and there's not really room for it on the stock system.
In other news, I checked my airbox again today after heavy rains last night and it was essentially dry. It's possible the Air Horn drain was clogged and cleaning it out fixed the problem. New filter should be here tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye on it.
I don't like the possibility of a $16K bill because it rains.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm thinking just pull it tight over the opening like a drum and then hold it in place with a duct clamp. Maybe fold the excess up, use another duct clamp then fold it back down to keep it in place. I'll give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking just pull it tight over the opening like a drum and then hold it in place with a duct clamp. Maybe fold the excess up, use another duct clamp then fold it back down to keep it in place. I'll give it a try and report back.
I wouldn't recommend that. Best case scenario is it clogs and suffocates your engine, shutting it down. Slightly worse is it all gets sucked into the airbox and is stopped by the filter.
The surface area on the Intake Horn Entrance is small, so it will get clogged fairly quickly. When it gets clogged, it will choke-off the engine, or get sucked in.
It works on the Cone style filters because of the larger filter area. I appreciate your willingness to try it, but I don't think it will turn out well. You can easily shut your engine off by just covering the intake horn with your hand. Same effect once the Injen gets some bugs and water on it.

Hopefully others will chime in and gut check both of us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that. Best case scenario is it clogs and suffocates your engine, shutting it down. Slightly worse is it all gets sucked into the airbox and is stopped by the filter.
The surface area on the Intake Horn Entrance is small, so it will get clogged fairly quickly. When it gets clogged, it will choke-off the engine, or get sucked in.
It works on the Cone style filters because of the larger filter area. I appreciate your willingness to try it, but I don't think it will turn out well. You can easily shut your engine off by just covering the intake horn with your hand. Same effect once the Injen gets some bugs and water on it.

Hopefully others will chime in and gut check both of us.
Yeah, I considered that. It all depends on how air permeable the material is. I doubt there is enough vacuum pressure to rip it out of the duct clamps but who knows. It should be pretty apparent right after installing if airflow is inhibited too much and if it gets dirty, it's not like the engine is going to go from working just fine to shutting off right away, it will be noticeable. Worst case scenario, like you said, it will end up in the ductwork or at the air-filter which I don't think is a big deal. I'll check out how strong the vacuum feels when I get the grill off and decide but I still think I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those wondering how to pull the Grille off, remove the top 4 Torx screws- T-25s. On the bottom, it's essentially wedged into a lip on the top of the bumper. You could use a flat pry tool to open it up; I just bent the opposite edge of lip enough to pull one corner out and worked my way to the other end. The Grille is pretty flexible, so don't be too concerned about bending it.
I still can't figure out how you did this. I see the lip in the photo that you are talking about but how do you get at the opposite edge of the lip to pull it up? Or did you push down on the tab that is jutting out towards the engine to bend the lip up? My guess is that you had to reach around behind the bumper to loosen these tabs, because I can't see how to get at the from the front as they are completely blocked. Is that correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also, I did a test pouring water on the passenger side of the hood closed with it closed, it traveled down the hood and into the channel in the headlight. From there, it also flowed outside the headlight channel and down the crack where the top of the passenger fender meets where the grille mounts, right above the air intake. I can see drops of wetness on the inside of the air intake horn when I pull back the grille so it is definitely getting in through the top. All it takes is a small amount of water consistent with a light rain, the car doesn't need to be moving, and it still enters the intake even on a flat surface.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while and I am as confused as when I first read about it. I like to think I am logical and have had a 2012 for 6 yrs, driven in Florida rain storms many times. I have not had any issue with my car,and when I traded it back still no issues. I now have a new 2016 and am concerned as you all are. If this was a design issue,everyone of the cars from 2011-2017 would have had this happen. There are probably no cars that don't have multiple rain storms in their history,so there no logical reason some have the problem with water being injested and some not.

There has to be a common thread for the problem cars , we need to figure it out. I will start out by saying my car has never been in a car wash and has never been in a northern climate and no trouble. It had 70,000 miles on the clock when it was traded to VW. I would like to see if there are others that have had the same experience and no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There has to be a common thread for the problem cars , we need to figure it out. I will start out by saying my car has never been in a car wash and has never been in a northern climate and no trouble.
From what I have experienced so far, its hard to imagine that there is a single late model Touareg that doesn't get water into the air intake when it sits or drives in the rain. If I were to guess, I think that they are probably on to something with the drains not emptying fast enough. In order for water to reach the filter, it has to entirely fill the dip in the duct to the intake opening before it can drain out. When I pulled out my air filter and looked back into the duct, there were several clear dirt marks where you could tell the water level sat for some time without draining. I would encourage anyone who owns one to not only look to see if the filter is wet but to peer back into the duct hole and look for water or water marks. Perhaps the gooseneck drain on my car is clogged enough that it allows water to sit and eventually spill into the airbox. I will have to do more investigation to figure out how to safely remove and clean it. At any rate, I am of the opinion that no water at all should get into the intake unless the circumstances are extreme and only then should the drain be needed as mitigation. This is clearly not the case in my car and, unless there is some kind of design difference or water flows differently in my neck of the woods, I highly doubt this is the case in any of the newer model Touaregs. My guess is that most don't get enough water in them to spill over into the airbox or drain fast enough that it doesn't enter the airbox, or are blissfully ignorant that their air filters are soaked and decomposing. When water does enter the airbox, it pools at the bottom and much of it gets absorbed by the sponge and filter so my guess (my hope) is that it would take A LOT of water in the airbox for the engine to start sucking it in. I literally just poured a cup of water on my hood and found drops of wetness inside the intake horn though so I doubt this is just related to car washes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Or did you push down on the tab that is jutting out towards the engine to bend the lip up? My guess is that you had to reach around behind the bumper to loosen these tabs, because I can't see how to get at the from the front as they are completely blocked. Is that correct?
That's exactly what I did. The grille is more flexible than you would think; I was able to pull it outward (away from the engine) and reach down, pushing down on the tab (closest to the engine) and pulled out on the grille. You could possibly use a spudger instead of pushing on the tabs. The manual doesn't give an indication of one over the other.

I did loosen the screws going into the bumper at the bottom of the grille, although that was un=needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
A little water in the Air Horn Intake pipe isn't a big deal. Even water sitting at the low spot in the pipe isn't an issue- as long as it stays there. The problem is water spilling into the airbox, soaking the filter, putting it at risk of getting sucked into the turbo (for TDIs at least). Wet filter media would be a death-sentence for the turbo.
For me, the problem seems to have been cured by drying all the water out of the Intake Horn, and then dumping a gallon of water in the intake at the bumper and into the airbox. Not sure I need to say this, but make sure the filter is removed before doing this. I dried the intake pipe again by running a towel through a couple times, pushed by a stiff cable.
Touareg has sat through a couple decent rain storms, but I haven't driven in rain yet. It's dry so far, and I installed a new, dry filter today. fingers crossed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a '16 TDI with less than 1K miles on it and am experiencing water in the intake and the bottom inch and a half keeps getting wet. I haven't driven through water more than a couple inches deep. My Touareg is parked outside on a level driveway. I have driven at speed through some puddles, making an impressive splash, and it's concerning to thing that could possibly take-out the turbo and possibly the engine. Water had filled-up the intake horn to the point it was spilling into the airbox. Ran a towel through to soak-up the water. How much was due to rain, and how much due to splashed water, I don't know.
I took off the grill today and the intake horn is fairly exposed. Mine does have the 7P6 805 962 C part installed from the factory. I'm not sure how much good it is doing. The Intake Horn is tilted up with the opening roughly level with the top of the bumper- the perfect orientation to catch water and funnel it to the Airbox. There is a low-point in the Intake Horn with a drain before the Airbox- not sure that is enough.
For those wondering how to pull the Grille off, remove the top 4 Torx screws- T-25s. On the bottom, it's essentially wedged into a lip on the top of the bumper. You could use a flat pry tool to open it up; I just bent the opposite edge of lip enough to pull one corner out and worked my way to the other end. The Grille is pretty flexible, so don't be too concerned about bending it.
thank you very much for the clear pic! I have a 16 TDI too with less 1k miles and wet air filter....
From the pic, it doesn't look like we got the same Chinese fix 7P6 805 962 C installed. There should be a shield blocking water from the headlight direction. I'll post a pic if I can

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
In the Service manual it says “when air filter is replaced, ensure drain is functioning properly” Seems like dealers are taking a short cut and replacing filters but making sure that the drains are working OK. If they plug up, any water cannot drain out, which is why the filter gets wet and moisture/water gets ingested into the Engine.
This is a concern for me too. If no part available, I will have to fabri-cobble something to help keeping water out of the intake.

One thing I must mention too. 2 years ago, I had a chipmunk get in the intake and chew up the filter in its housing. War was declared against all chipmunks now! Replaced the filter and put a large mesh over the intake to stop them doing that again. Thats when I checked the drain at the bottom of the filter housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I definitely don't have that. Do you have a part # on that? The upper piece is the part that was posted as the fix.

Pic of part # here
Can this part be ordered from a VW dealer in the US today?

I live in a rainy climate, and this thread has me pretty nervous. It's hard for me to believe that VW has not addressed this.
If not the dealer,where did this part come from ? I have the same high interst since I live in FL.
I think he has a 2016 TDI.
yup I have the 16 TDI and mine doesn't have that part installed. The pic is from Chinese forum when they received the official fix from vw China. I originally thought the part number is 7P6 805 962 C but RocketTech proved me wrong :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another horror story and a potential fix

So, the other day it rained lightly for about 8 hours. I had my car parked nose down the entire time and my airbox drains were cleaned beforehand. This was the result: https://imgur.com/a/yOYMS4o . The first picture is my airbox after driving for 10 minutes. As you can see, the vacuum pressure is pulling water from the flooded intake tube into the airbox. The second picture is looking into the intake tube from the airbox, you can see there is quite a bit of water in there even in a light rain and even with the car parked nose down. WAY too much water. After seeing this I immediately removed the drain plug to allow for a more free flow of water out of the intake tube. During the next rain, which was much harder, this seemed to help a little but did not eliminate the problem. So, I picked up some metro bulb automotive weather stripping and some additional weather stripping designed for a hard top on a truck and did this: https://imgur.com/a/E4JLjSt . Through some experimentation I identified the most likely entry point for water as the channel above the headlight (mentioned earlier in this thread) and the gap between the fender and the bumper (the water overflows out of the headlight channel and into this gap). I ran bulb stripping all along the hood to prevent water from getting into the gap as well as in front of the gap and down behind the grille. It runs all the way past the air intake horn. I'm hoping this prevents any water from entering that gap as well as directs water from the channel away from the intake. In addition to this I used the hard top stripping to fill in the runoff channel above the headlights which will hopefully prevent any water entry at all. I'm not sure yet if this will work completely, but I am hopeful and will report back. I also feel that an air permeable, water phobic material installed over the air intake opening would be a more robust solution but I still can't get the grille off for the life of me.

101 - 120 of 299 Posts