Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just letting you know, we're (wife and I) are seriously planning a (up to) 2 month tour of the Eastern States in the last quarter of next year.

I've been given the green light for extended leave when ever I want. My wife has considerable leave accrual owing to her, so we're going to take the opportunity to have a break, before we make the final push (of our working life) towards retirement.

I'm a stickler for planning etc, so just want to let you know, if you're planning a Muster around September/October 2017, count us in (and probably a ring-in - my mate and his wife with their LC200 + Caravan).

·
Registered
437 Posts
A friend of mine used to make these road trip / vacations with his teenage daughter. They would plot a course and put it up on the New Beetle page and invite people to come drive a leg of the trip with him. He had a starting and stopping place for each day that he posted on a website and people would meet up with him in the morning, drive a half or full day on the route, then they'd have a get-together at the end at some interesting place. Then at some cities he'd spend a day or two and the locals would show him around.

You could do something like that and we'd all sign up to drive a leg!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for kicking the 2017 page off. Look forward to having you at the next. Sept. Oct period seems to work for most. If you have any location/s you would like to suggest please do so.

I would like to promote somewhere "central" where it works for everybody, or at least is not totally prohibitive distance wise.

Kind Regards

Stu..

·
Super Moderator
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Initial plans (for us) are to meet our friends at (probably) Mildura. They live in Winchelsea.

I'm keen to put some time in at Canberra - War Memorial etc. Apart from that....it's a clean slate.

I'm riding to Jindabyne and Kangaroo Valley in March next year....returning via Sale, Murray Bridge, Ceduna, Norseman then home (a 4 night stop return trip home...piece o' piss). Looking fwd to riding the Snowy's.....except...Alpine Way is closed between Khancoban and Tom Groggin - road has been washed away during recent rain in the past week or so. That's upset the planning a tad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Morning all. As a first timer at the muster, I had a ball. My mate, Bob with the Volksero / Mitsiwagen etc enjoyed it as well and now views Tregs as a viable tow car. Doesn't take much to convince people. I know there was some suggestion of trying to move further west to make it a bit easier for our members in South Oz. Perhaps we could look at a location in the Murray Valley or Barossa Valley. Time of year is not an issue for me, can even be a bit later than the October Long Weekend. We could even have a 'Denni Treg Muster' after the ute muster.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know a bit about the Barossa area, would be great plenty to see and do, other than wine tasting. At Birdwood is the National Car Museum and boy can you get lost in there for a few hours. Can take day trip to Mannum and cruise the Murray River on a paddle steamer. Depends what type of site you want "free camping" or "Caravan Park" Mallala showgrounds great, about $5/night, hot showers and toilets. Also plenty of caravan parks in and around Tanunda. Anyhow food for thought.
Regards Rod.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just chucking another idea out there.
VW Touareg Mountain Park
http://www.landcruisermountainpark.com.au
Just west of the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Green grass, clean toilets, hot showers and a heap of 'graded' (as in easy tracks for Toyota's up to black level tracks for Tregs) 4wd tracks including creek crossings.
It's not particularly cheap and definitely not during school holidays. Just a thought.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ohhhh and another thing. We have found so far that the official 'Treg Musters' we have been involved in [:)] have just been part of the trip. Sometimes the highlight is actually the bit before or after.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ohhhh and another thing. We have found so far that the official 'Treg Musters' we have been involved in [:)] have just been part of the trip. Sometimes the highlight is actually the bit before or after.
x2
We find that it is the catalyst to get us out and about.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dunno if this would work for a Treg muster. Maybe Steve_L could fit this in on his way across or back home. Looks like there is a great plan brewing for Forrest Airport around Octoberish next year to celebrate the Trans Australia railway 100 Anniversary since it opened. Here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/whereswallythebasset/posts/1004953586282811:0

·
Registered
63 Posts
Vacation and Location Re-Naming

Just chucking another idea out there.
VW Touareg Mountain Park
Landcruiser Mountain Park Jimna|wilderness camping|4wd offroad tracks|Mud Bulls and Music - Home
Just west of the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Green grass, clean toilets, hot showers and a heap of 'graded' (as in easy tracks for Toyota's up to black level tracks for Tregs) 4wd tracks including creek crossings.
It's not particularly cheap and definitely not during school holidays. Just a thought.
Gazza are you suggesting that the Treg owners swamp this location and set about claiming it as there own and hence renaming it?

I have a brand spanking new bash plate devoid of any "marks" of achievement that needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mannum and cruise the Murray River on a paddle steamer
Planning on doing that just after Easter 2017. A couple of days at Goolwa for the Woodenboat Festival then a week on the Murray River houseboat.

Down via Broken Hill and planning on spending some time wending our way back to SE Qld.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also vote for SA!

It would be great if we settled on an SA destination, not only because it's on my doorstep and I did 2,500+ km to get to and from the 2016 Muster, but there are some great destinations here, superb beaches and parks, the Adelaide Hills, Clare, Barossa and McLaren Vale wine regions to sample, and the Flinders Ranges to visit for a bit of off-roading. Somewhere like Rawnsley Park Station (Rawnsley Park Station, Flinders Ranges, South Australia) where we can leave the vans and trailers and then go explore, perhaps doing Skytrek at Willow Springs Station (www.skytrekwillowsprings.com.au).

If you are new to SA, there is masses to do and see ... much more than we could fit in to a Muster weekend ... so if you choose here, then make it a week or two visit around the Muster! I promise it will not be as cold as the Snowy Mountains!

Please choose SA ... my old V10 needs the rest!

Cheers, Mike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On our trip through the Flinder Rangers SA we stayed at Merna Mora. They have some really good 4by tracks one of which we took (Heritage Track starts easy and becomes harder and has points of interest along the way) MERNA MORA-ACCOMMODATION They have caravan and accommodation. (we were passing through SA on the way to Lake Eire)

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about Ayre Peninsula - if you like seafood etc I hear there are some great spots for fishing etc - by the way will be there around late Febuary 2017.

·
Learner
4,738 Posts
On our trip through the Flinder Rangers SA we stayed at Merna Mora. They have some really good 4by tracks one of which we took (Heritage Track starts easy and becomes harder and has points of interest along the way) MERNA MORA-ACCOMMODATION They have caravan and accommodation. (we were passing through SA on the way to Lake Eire)
This looks alright and perhaps a winner to me. Anyone with better idea/location? If not we can start working towards the month/weekend.......and of course who all can make it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
This looks alright and perhaps a winner to me. Anyone with better idea/location? If not we can start working towards the month/weekend.......and of course who all can make it.

+1, Looks interesting, with plenty of tracks on the property or base for exploring the Flinders!

TonyB

1 - 20 of 229 Posts