Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping maybe some folks can help a Treg newbie out. Our T3 gasser is brand new with now 600 miles on it. Since day one, on an intermittent basis, the engine will emit a loud SNAP! typically on cold start. It's like a wooden bat hitting a baseball ... hard! It this a known issue ... good or bad?

Any input most appreciated!!!

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
Not heard of that one before.

That's a good, smooth engine.

Such a noise can only be bad.

Hand it back to the dealer with a deadline to sort it out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have a 2011 VR6 with 74K and never noticed that on cold starts and this car has been started in cold it's whole life

Reactions: KT88

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Bring it in, certainly not normal at all.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hoping maybe some folks can help a Treg newbie out. Our T3 gasser is brand new with now 600 miles on it. Since day one, on an intermittent basis, the engine will emit a loud SNAP! typically on cold start. It's like a wooden bat hitting a baseball ... hard! It this a known issue ... good or bad?

Any input most appreciated!!!
When I had my '15 FSI I noticed odd noises at pretty much every stone-cold start. Sometimes it made a kind of a loud mechanical "SLAP" sound when it started firing. One morning I started it and after a few seconds it began stumbling very bad, RPMs went up and down, then it stabilized. I did a VCDS and found nothing.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f92/brand-new-3-6l-v6-misbehaving-on-cold-start-225193.html

·
Registered
801 Posts
The 3.6 has a flap in the intake runners that opens and closes. Since the intake side is plastic, it tends to amplify noises. They make all sorts of strange noises when they are cold and start up. Had one in my 08 Touareg, and my wife has one in her CC (V6 - 4mo). Not saying it's normal, but as long as it's consistent, you are probably OK.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
While I have never experienced this specific noise (and I would certainly take it in and ask to have it evaluated), it doesn't surprise me. The 3.6 is a noisy engine at start up (when cold). Good news is it doesn't seem to result in any issues that I have read of or experienced...

I get intake runner rattle at cold temps and also when cold at about 3,000 RPM...never heard a snap type noise however. Is it like an A/C compressor clutch engaging or louder than that?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The current 2.0L TSI sounds like a kazoo at cold start. Lol. Luckily whatever it is goes away quickly.
Lol! Hey, that might be an improvement if it only does it at start up... I got sick of people telling me that my 2006 GLI 2.0T was quiet, for a diesel. Don't get me wrong I love diesel sound...just not from a gasser! I got rid of it...for a Jetta 2.0 TDI...luckily sold that one before too long too ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asked the wife if she noticed it first start this am, she didn't, but admitted was in a hurry and not listening for it. We'll have to be more diligent at keeping track. When it happens, it's very loud, hard to describe, but snap or crack is all I can think of. I plan on having her start tomorrow morn with me under and open hood listening, trying to locate it.

Otherwise, I think it's a great sounding engine. Sounds like a real motor for lack of better description. I hope safe to assume no VW "soundaktor" working under the hood?

Thanks again for all the input. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
And no Soundaktor in any model Touareg.

The Soundaktor in my '12 Golf R was so obnoxious I disconnected it. The Soundaktor in the '15 GTI is much better, sounds more realistic. Sometimes I think VW programmed the newer version to mimic the distinctive burble of a Subaru WRX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 vr6 and I don't recall hearing loud cracking noise like you describe. Sometimes it cranks a little longer then I am used to with my TDI but nothing loud like yours. Transmission does shift abruptly sometimes when its cold and it causes some strange noise then. I scanned for codes and found nothing. I may have dealer check out the autotrans on my next visit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I really did not think so, but did forget to look for Structural Borne Sound module when tweaking the Treg with VCDS. Easy to turn volume to "0" ... first thing I did on our Q5s and S6.

And no Soundaktor in any model Touareg.

The Soundaktor in my '12 Golf R was so obnoxious I disconnected it. The Soundaktor in the '15 GTI is much better, sounds more realistic. Sometimes I think VW programmed the newer version to mimic the distinctive burble of a Subaru WRX.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I can hear it in that clip. To me it sounds like maybe the starter solenoid. I can't say for sure but I think my FSI made a similar noise and I just assumed it was normal. Sorry I can't be more definite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.