Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now owned by 2016 Touareg for 1 week. That's a short time, but I've accumulated just under 4000 miles in that time period and found some items that may be pertinent to others considering a 2016.

1.) The navigation system has the well-documented refusal to accept verbally entered addresses. I made sure the dealer documented this before delivery. It is known and a resolution is ostensibly underway.
2.) The driver's assistance package is a mixed bag in my experience.
  • The adaptive cruise control was a struggle for me. In heavy city traffic, it was constantly braking to maintain distance, making me look like someone who just got a driver's permit yesterday. I shut it off in heavy traffic.

• In moderately dense traffic, it worked well enough; however, the spacing, while safe, meant cars kept moving in front of me which in turn caused it to brake to maintain space. This was with the setting to maintain as tight spacing as possible. I shut it off in moderate traffic.
  • When traffic thinned, my biggest complaint was that it would brake/slow when approaching vehicles that I was about to pass or in the process of passing. The bigger the speed discrepancy, the earlier and harder the slowing. The workaround is to pull into the left lane about 1/4 mile prior to overtaking a vehicle. I couldn't stand being a left-lane pig, so I learned to shut if off every time I approached a vehicle that I was passing.
  • I've had sensor view failures four times. Once driving through a snowstorm, and three times driving behind a vehicle that is blowing snow. I understand that you are not supposed to use cruise control in the snow, but road conditions frequency change. It can take upwards of 100 miles in clear weather before the sensors start working again - they are somewhat recessed so they have a tendency to collect snow. My gripe here is not that the adaptive part turns off, but rather that it cancels all cruise control entirely.
  • Where this system is really nice is on a two-lane road with no snow, where you are simply following cars in front of you. I would not normally use cruise control in this type of situation, but it is really useful in this application. As long as the sensors are working.

3.) Blind spot assist: I love this feature. I am a little concerned because it shut down three times due to "No Sensor View". Each time was while driving in very remote areas where I did not pass any other vehicles in either direction for 20+ minutes. It did not always come back when I got into traffic though. This is with a clean vehicle, by the way. No mud, snow, or moisture. I wonder if there is a self check that times out after "x" minutes when it does not see another vehicle. The blind spot assist does have heated sensors, which work well in light snow.

4.) Heat steering wheel: Honestly, this is the main reason I went for the drivers assist package and I think its great. It's too bad you have to get a bunch of features that don't work in cold weather in order to get a heated steering wheel.
5.) Park assist: It works as well as any I've come across. It would be nice if the camera retracted under the VW emblem like is does on the Golf Wagon.
6.) Lane assist: I like more than expected. If we had more cars with this feature, I would hope it would facilitate increased use of turn signals. Lane assist works surprisingly well in road conditions that I would think would not make lane detection possible.
7.) Seats: Are among the best I've ever sat in. I do an unhealthy amount of sitting. Probably 50,000 miles a year in a car and over 150,000 miles a year in a plane. I know how uncomfortable poorly designed seats are. I was amazed that after almost 60 hours in the same seat, I was still very comfortable. I also thought the ventilated portion was a gimmick, but I found it to be quite useful, even in cooler temperatures. I have not seen any hints of wear in the seats that one member with a 2016 experienced.
8.) Headlights: The "Bi-Xenon" headlights are excellent. It almost makes me question whether auxiliary lighting will be necessary on this car.
9.) LED taillights: They look cool, but their efficiency makes them run cool as well. I'm used to headlamps and taillamps using their heat to remove snow. This does not happen with the 2016. A bit of a safety issue that will be mitigated with the rear fog lamp that does not come on North American cars.

This is a photo in temperatures barely below freezing after having driven through the last of the snow almost 200 miles earlier.

Overall, I love the car, but I'm not sure I'd get the DA package again. That opinion might change if I lived in California and weather conditions did not impact as much, but then I wouldn't be driving an SUV anyway. It is also a fair bit of money, considering that a Golf Wagon Driver's Assistance Package costs 1/2 that of the Touareg and it includes the self-parking feature (a condolence to people that have to drive a car with electric steering).

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nice review.

I'm glad that neither of our T3's have DA/Driver Assist. I can't be bothered with that stuff at all.

Seats are great.

I love the AFS lighting and how they self adjust side to side and up and down.

The area view is also great, a definite step up from the rearview camera.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Nice review. I am interested in Lane Change Assist and the updated seats. At least you can turn off a lot of the Driver's Assist features.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Excellent write-up. The DA package on my 2016 Touareg is a "nice to have" feature but I usually keep it off, with the exception of the lane change/blind spot assist which is quite useful. This feature is standard on the Audi Q7 by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts