Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
New VW 3L V6 diesel biTurbo putting out 700Nm torques.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Exactly!
VW do have high torque from small engines, just not marketed in NA.
We get the older cheaper more emission friendly versions that most NA customers won’t want to pay for!
All I am saying that there are engines out there that don’t have to be 7 kizillion litres with mediocre torque

·
Registered
348 Posts
While my water temp stays at 90C (194F) my oil temperature reaches 138C (280F) when towing up hill. Ambient 35C (95F). Is this normal? What is the max?
I must admit that my jaw dropped at a 138 degree oil temperature. My prior expierience was that 115 - 120 was a maximum. Apparently modern synthetics don't break down until 175 degrees or so. A big question is what their viscosity is at 175 degrees; just because the oil doesn't break down doesn't mean it's maintaining a proper film to protect from metal-to-metal contact I personally would keep my oil change interval way down (3000mi/5000km) if I was seeing 138 degrees when towing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
138c or f? 138f is nothing

·
Registered
36 Posts
We see something similar when we tow uphill but we don’t see that much of an increase in temp. We tow a 6000lb 28ft trailer with our 2016 TDI Treg and it sticks at 200 F regardless of ambient temperature until we go up prolonged steep hills (e.g. I80 over Donner pass). It bumps up to about 205 or 210 max and then quickly comes back down once we crest. I figured that this made sense given what we are asking it to do on those hills and since it’s not much of an increase (and very far away from 260F) we haven’t thought much of it. We do not tow at high speeds though (55-60mph) so it might get hotter if we run at the speeds you indicated above.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have the same Treg. I tow a 25' Airstream, use a ProPride hitch, and are now 3600 miles into my current long trip. I was up and down thru NC, Tenn, KY, then thru midwest and now in Montana (on the flat side). I weighed my vehicle at a Certified scale. I check axil weight and total weight. My loaded wt is 63-6400 lbs. Tongue wt about 700 lbs. With the ProPride, I have the wt pretty equal on each axil. I measure the wheel wells and do my best to match. It is within 1/2" of the pre load.

My temp needle has never moved off of 250 (straight up on the gauge). With trailer, without trailer, flat or pulling up hill. No change. Up and down travel 11MPG, flatland 13 MPG. I only run with Premium Top Tier petrol. Once I was stuck and had to use regular with Ethanol, but really experienced no difference

What has really impressed me is using the Touareg cruise control. I let it do its thing, and it changes gears as needed. Cruises usually in 7th. Occasionally 8. In Montana against a steady 20mph head wind it would drop to 6th gear, but did it effortlessly. I had been using the manual shift option, and my service manager at VW told me not too. Let the onboard computor control. The up hill part is understandable, but this thing does a terrific job downhill. It will keep the speed the same, and if it cannot, sends a message "apply brake."

I had a chronic issue with a warning message concerning transmission. It was not predictable. Turned out, at least the dealer said, to be a low pressure fuel pump. So, water pump may be a part of it. In the past, fuel pumps either worked or didn't. The Treg was working at a reduced pressure.

Tomorrow I will go over a high pass in the Rockies to Missoula for the summer. I am having the local VW dealer in Missoula do a service and check everything out. I will not tell him I am towing 6300 lbs. Once they check it out, I am going to tell them I have been towing for 4000 miles. See if he goes back and checks anything else. I did not want to plant a pre determined cause before he evaluates. In FLorida, the Service Manger drives a 2006 TLI Treg. Mint V10. Would love it!. But so far, the gasser is doing fine. Would I like more touorque or power at times? Yes, of course. But I have what I have. I bought it "Certified" from Dealer, and also extended my warrantee to 100K. It brought the price pretty much up to the top of the range, but if there are any issues, I am covered.

I did ask about how towing would effect any warrentee service. He said no as long as I am within the ranges stated by the manual. If you look at the older CanAm video's, you see a driving test of all models using the same car - a Porsche Cayenne. It was at the Airstream Factory and test track.

Why did I not purchase a diesel truck or one with more power? Complicated answer. 1) this is our only vehicle. We split our time between FLorida and the road to Montana. Leaving a vehicle in storage thru FLorida summers is both expensive and hard on the vehicle. I suggested a very nice Ram 2500 diesel, and wife nixed it. She did not want to climb in and out of a high truck all the time. Noisey and trucky. As is known, the Treg is very comfortable car to drive. My Exec has all I would want, and she loves it. If it craps out, then I will go to something else. But so far, it seems really well set up for our Airstream.

One side note about the ProPride. This WD hitch is very expensive. I swapped out an Equalizer, and there is no comparison in my mind. Coming across Eastern Montana, it was blowing and gusting around 20-30 MPH. I never felt a thing, no sway what so ever, and the only thing I noticed is the car would often stay in 6th gear. I did not know it was blowing so hard until I pulled into a gas station and had it pointed downwind. The door almost ripped off.

As far as I can tell, this works well. Now, if I had one of those very light and flat sided trailers that are tall and sit high up, it might not work. As most of your know, Airstreams carries its weight very low and most between the axils. Not much top side weight. It also is as aerodynamic as trailers this size go.

E

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have the same Treg. I tow a 25' Airstream, use a ProPride hitch, and are now 3600 miles into my current long trip. I was up and down thru NC, Tenn, KY, then thru midwest and now in Montana (on the flat side). I weighed my vehicle at a Certified scale. I check axil weight and total weight. My loaded wt is 63-6400 lbs. Tongue wt about 700 lbs. With the ProPride, I have the wt pretty equal on each axil. I measure the wheel wells and do my best to match. It is within 1/2" of the pre load.

My temp needle has never moved off of 250 (straight up on the gauge). With trailer, without trailer, flat or pulling up hill. No change. Up and down travel 11MPG, flatland 13 MPG. I only run with Premium Top Tier petrol. Once I was stuck and had to use regular with Ethanol, but really experienced no difference

What has really impressed me is using the Touareg cruise control. I let it do its thing, and it changes gears as needed. Cruises usually in 7th. Occasionally 8. In Montana against a steady 20mph head wind it would drop to 6th gear, but did it effortlessly. I had been using the manual shift option, and my service manager at VW told me not too. Let the onboard computor control. The up hill part is understandable, but this thing does a terrific job downhill. It will keep the speed the same, and if it cannot, sends a message "apply brake."

I had a chronic issue with a warning message concerning transmission. It was not predictable. Turned out, at least the dealer said, to be a low pressure fuel pump. So, water pump may be a part of it. In the past, fuel pumps either worked or didn't. The Treg was working at a reduced pressure.

Tomorrow I will go over a high pass in the Rockies to Missoula for the summer. I am having the local VW dealer in Missoula do a service and check everything out. I will not tell him I am towing 6300 lbs. Once they check it out, I am going to tell them I have been towing for 4000 miles. See if he goes back and checks anything else. I did not want to plant a pre determined cause before he evaluates. In FLorida, the Service Manger drives a 2006 TLI Treg. Mint V10. Would love it!. But so far, the gasser is doing fine. Would I like more touorque or power at times? Yes, of course. But I have what I have. I bought it "Certified" from Dealer, and also extended my warrantee to 100K. It brought the price pretty much up to the top of the range, but if there are any issues, I am covered.

I did ask about how towing would effect any warrentee service. He said no as long as I am within the ranges stated by the manual. If you look at the older CanAm video's, you see a driving test of all models using the same car - a Porsche Cayenne. It was at the Airstream Factory and test track.

Why did I not purchase a diesel truck or one with more power? Complicated answer. 1) this is our only vehicle. We split our time between FLorida and the road to Montana. Leaving a vehicle in storage thru FLorida summers is both expensive and hard on the vehicle. I suggested a very nice Ram 2500 diesel, and wife nixed it. She did not want to climb in and out of a high truck all the time. Noisey and trucky. As is known, the Treg is very comfortable car to drive. My Exec has all I would want, and she loves it. If it craps out, then I will go to something else. But so far, it seems really well set up for our Airstream.

One side note about the ProPride. This WD hitch is very expensive. I swapped out an Equalizer, and there is no comparison in my mind. Coming across Eastern Montana, it was blowing and gusting around 20-30 MPH. I never felt a thing, no sway what so ever, and the only thing I noticed is the car would often stay in 6th gear. I did not know it was blowing so hard until I pulled into a gas station and had it pointed downwind. The door almost ripped off.

As far as I can tell, this works well. Now, if I had one of those very light and flat sided trailers that are tall and sit high up, it might not work. As most of your know, Airstreams carries its weight very low and most between the axils. Not much top side weight. It also is as aerodynamic as trailers this size go.

E
Opps. I meant temp to say 200 degrees. Straight up on the gauge. Again, I have not noticed it ever moving once warmer up. If it moved less than 10 degrees, then it must be something simple. Maybe water pump or radiator as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The VWs have a trailer module that detects the trailer when it's lights are connected. This module changes the fueling and cooling parameters in the various CPS and needs to be working.
I bring this up because someone may not have the full setup for towing in your car.
How to tell you ask?
Well if the trailer is detected the rear hatch will not open remotely, you must use the handle latch on the rear.
Just an off chance that something is not correct in the trailer module. The module is part of the towing prep and the hitch is a separate entry in the build sheet.
The readout on the instrument panel is an approximation of the engine temp and what VW wants you to see, not the exact temp. The gauge is there to make you think about loading.
I tow a smaller 16' Scamp fiberglass trailer at about 3000 # s and the Touareg hardly knows it is back there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The VWs have a trailer module that detects the trailer when it's lights are connected. This module changes the fueling and cooling parameters in the various CPS and needs to be working.
I bring this up because someone may not have the full setup for towing in your car.
How to tell you ask?
Well if the trailer is detected the rear hatch will not open remotely, you must use the handle latch on the rear.
Just an off chance that something is not correct in the trailer module. The module is part of the towing prep and the hitch is a separate entry in the build sheet.
The readout on the instrument panel is an approximation of the engine temp and what VW wants you to see, not the exact temp. The gauge is there to make you think about loading.
I tow a smaller 16' Scamp fiberglass trailer at about 3000 # s and the Touareg hardly knows it is back there.
so, I cant remember if I tried the hatch or not remotely. However, my backup camera deal shows a trailer back there when its plugged in. has the factory tow hitch, etc. and it is the Exec package so it SHOULD have every option and feature that was available at the time. But, next time I hook it up I will try that remote open...I THINK I have tried and wondered why it wouldn't open, but....I dont member exactly.

Tomorrow I am dropping it off at a Euro shop to have them check out the cooling system and the fans and such see if they notice anything in there, pressure test it, etc. Go from there. I will be taking it to Arizona in 118degree heat, just no trailer, so we can see if anything happens there as well.

Question for you on your TDI towing the 3K trailer.....or anyone...does your TDI drink the DEF? I have read that after the "fix" towing they drink DEF, but then talked to someone and they said no it should be drinking that much should be getting a few 1000 outta it towing or not. But I have filled it up with 5-7gal of DEF in the last 3 months....but have towed for a good chunk of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, so we bought a '16 Touareg TDI Exec a bit over a year ago, and we absolutely love the thing. We bought it for the reason of towing, and this year we finally bought our travel trailer. its 21ft long, unloaded the trailer weights about 4300, hitch Is 480, and FULLY loaded its 5760, I would say we are rocking about 4500-4600 with stuff/food in it. Honestly tows it really well, don't feel like there is an issue (minus MURDERING MPG 30ish to about 12ish and DEF :) )
However, my question is this----I have noticed that when I go uphills it starts to get a lil hot, normally runs at 200deg, going up a hill, will go to 205, top the hill, back down to 200...next hill, 210, back down to 200....longer type bigger hill its gotten to 235, once I top the hill, drops fairly quickly to 200 again. I have noticed if I shift it manually I can try to control it a bit and it doesn't get as bad, but almost any hill its doing this.

I read a few other forums and someone said to clean the radiator with a hose and water get the gunk outta there, didn't help, made sure I had enough coolant, topped it off..no difference.
Anyone have this issue? or any ideas what could be causing it? the first time it happened I even got an "add oil" and I got SUPER worried, but, after adding in 1qt its been fine, levels are good. My garage is SUPER DUPER clean and I workout on it every day so I would notice if ANYTHING was leaking.

it has NEVER hit the red area, and once I top the hill, RIGHT back down....im concerned a bit, espeically since I am going to be towing the trailer from New Mexico to LA, Cali in July, and thats crossing Needles, Cali, which is like 115+ degrees in the summer. Also, I never had issues without the trailer, or in traffic or anything, only uphills.
I have the same model towing 20 foot van - on a long hill it will heat up if I don’t increase the revs. Don’t let it sit on 1500 revs…. I never tow in 8th gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have the same model towing 20 foot van - on a long hill it will heat up if I don’t increase the revs. Don’t let it sit on 1500 revs…. I never tow in 8th gear.
that I do not. it is usually fine temp wise until the RPMs go up. If I use the manual shifting I can usually keep it under 3K it'll help, not all the time, but it helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I took it to a Euro shop and had them look at it. They came back saying stuck Term and to replace thermostat and water pump for 1800....I questioned this because Therm doesn't make sense....
The tech stated no its not the thermostat its just recommended when doing a water pump (which makes sense), said that the water pump is known problem with these and that under heavy load the "clutch" slips and deactivates the water pump from pumping fluid, once the heavy load is removed, power gets resent back to the water pump and starts moving water again. said the tech is pretty darn sure thats the problem as its fairly common.....but does seem a bit odd to me! I am hesitant

·
Registered
267 Posts
Something to be mentioned, if the Touareg comes from the factory with a tow hitch it has a bigger radiator and the VW thermostats (Touaregs have 2) when they fail they do stuck open.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I don't think the radiator on the Generation 2 cars is different but the coolant fan is uprated in certain markets.

In some markets such as the US and Australia for example, the 850 watt coolant fan was fitted as standard regardless.

The UK market got a 600 watt fan as standard and the 850 watt was only fitted along with the factory towbar.

However a number of UK owners discovered that although they had paid out for the full factory fitted towbar and uprated fan, their Touaregs were misbuilds and came with the 600 watt fan.

For a time VW upgraded customers' fans FOC and then decided they wouldn't. Another VW cheat.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts