Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New here, have been hunting for a 2016 TDI Lux or Exec for many months. I am potentially going to jump on one soon. I saw from a trailer forum a gentleman discussing his experience with the added emissions equipment from VW. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and has anyone else done this?

"VW paid for some repairs/replacement to the emission controls under warranty that would have cost about $1500 had they not been covered. After that experience, I decided to modify my '16 when I bought it to simplify the emission control system. I followed the advice of another TDI (Audi Q7) owner I met at the Oliver Rally this spring. My 3.0 litre TDI now has 305 horsepower and 490 lb-ft of torque compared to the 240/406 in the stock tune. Before doing this, I spent a lot of time talking to the manager of the service department at my Audi/VW dealer and he consulted with the VW warranty people before assuring me that I could make these modifications without affecting the warranty. The engine runs so much better now and the extra torque makes towing the Ollie a breeze."

Sounds like he tuned the thing, which would most certainly void any warranty, yeah? I am curious about his simplifying of the emissions equipment though. Anyway, figured I'd see if anyone knew what he was talking about.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux, white with beige interior
182 Posts
Most likely voids the TDI warranty. I tow a 5000 pound Airstream 23' and the TDI barely breathes hard, even at elevation. It does, however, drink a lot of DEF. I'd get a second opinion about the warranty with modifications like that. Try it without the mods and see what you think. I'm satisfied as it is.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The Dieselgate warranty is astonishingly good for US owners.

Here in Europe we've had nothing in return for VW''s cheating.

Given that the cost of an HPFP failure on a Tdi can be up to US$16,000 I wouldn't do anything at all that might jeopardise the warranty you've got.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
753 Posts
Sounds like he did the Malone Stage 2 Tune with Deletes and delete kit.

Your best bet is to get it in writing, but modifying your vehicle doesn't necessarily void your warranty. There is a ton of misinformation out there on US automobile warranties. Essentially, if a car company denies a warranty claim because of aftermarket parts or modifications, you can sue them. The burden of proof is on them to show the part/modification caused the failure/warranty claim. So if you put a stick-on mirror on your Driver's side mirror and blow a CV shaft on that side, they'll lose if they deny the warranty. Conversely, if you delete part of the emissions system and then have a problem meeting emissions, they can deny it outright, or deny the claim until the emissions system is returned to spec- un-delete and un-tune. The other shade of this would be if you blow the turbo and they pull logs showing 50PSI is requested all the frickin' time, they'll probably deny the warranty claim. But if they see normal boost requests, they have no reason to deny.

Here's what everyone always forgets- warranty work is guaranteed income for the dealership (well, pretty much, but that's a different subject). They shoot themselves in the foot if they reject it out of hand. If they think VW corp will pay for it, you bet they'll do it. Just having a tune doesn't mean the warranty is voided. If the tune messes with the counters and logs- yeah, they'll probably flag it and say they can't help you. But if they can see it wasn't insane and improbable boost or torque requests, it's just another payday for them.

One other issue- if your State does an emmissions visual inspection, be prepared to un-delete to pass the visual part. The tune itself will not cause MIL triggers or prevent getting a full cycle (plug-in test).

If you're risk averse, don't modify your vehicle.
If you weigh the risks and benefits and come down on the side of "Yeah, I want acceleration that feels like a kick in the a**", do the mods.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
And to further add on to the explanation above, That's often times above the local dealerships head that mothership Volkswagen will terminate your warranty and deny service. If that happens, there is nothing the local dealer can do as they will not be reimbursed.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
The 2014+ Touaregs didn’t have any added or exchanged equipment, it was entirely a software tune.
I have a Malone stage 2 tune with EGR/DPF/SCR software and hardware deletes from rawtek. The change in power is incredible, and I never have to worry about the failure-prone def system.
As said above, tuning does not directly effect your warranty if the issue and parts changed are not related. If your diff or axle fails, it’s not due to to tune. Engine or turbo issue, perhaps.
I weighed the pros and cons and decided it was well worth it to get the tune done. No regrets.

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux, white with beige interior
182 Posts
The 2014+ Touaregs didn’t have any added or exchanged equipment, it was entirely a software tune.
I have a Malone stage 2 tune with EGR/DPF/SCR software and hardware deletes from rawtek. The change in power is incredible, and I never have to worry about the failure-prone def system.
As said above, tuning does not directly effect your warranty if the issue and parts changed are not related. If your diff or axle fails, it’s not due to to tune. Engine or turbo issue, perhaps.
I weighed the pros and cons and decided it was well worth it to get the tune done. No regrets.
Neighbor to the south - your warranty is quite different than ours, isn't it?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Neighbor to the south - your warranty is quite different than ours, isn't it?
I believe it is the same mileage and time wise, as well what is covered. I believe they’re the same?

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
On paper, in theory, but trying to get it to actually pan out in favor of the customer is a crapshoot. Some people are getting treated fairly while others are losing our hair.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Are you counting the people who aren't getting Free DEF top-ups every 500 miles in 30 seconds or less? Some people aren't reading the warranty or are being a little unreasonable in their expectations.
I've had zero complaints with warranty coverage on my Touareg so far, and I even had them fix a couple things because I was a dumbass- wasn't even their fault, it was mine. Actually I think all my warranty work was my fault and really should've been denied. But VW paid for it and they did the work.
On paper, in theory, but trying to get it to actually pan out in favor of the customer is a crapshoot. Some people are getting treated fairly while others are losing our hair.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
Are you counting the people who aren't getting Free DEF top-ups every 500 miles in 30 seconds or less? Some people aren't reading the warranty or are being a little unreasonable in their expectations.
I've had zero complaints with warranty coverage on my Touareg so far, and I even had them fix a couple things because I was a dumbass- wasn't even their fault, it was mine. Actually I think all my warranty work was my fault and really should've been denied. But VW paid for it and they did the work.
I'm only counting my own experience. I had 85K trouble free miles and then the oil cooler issue cropped up and I had to take it into my local dealership who promptly flatly denied it was under any warranty (when it was and still is under the original powertrain warranty), then lost my engine cover and belly sound deadeners, and refused to fill the DEF, refused to honor the printed page from VW telling me to bring it in for an ECU update and that'd I'd be given a loaner during that time, refused to honor the powertrain/AEM warranty for the oil cooler, VW corrected them that my Treg was under both warranties and then finally just told them they'd pay 70% of the repair, which then my local dealer increased the quote they provided to VW so I ended up with a final bill exactly the same amount as before VW offered to pay 70%.

While that was going on, they were holding onto my Treg so class counsel got involved. They started charging me for storage after two months of sitting on the repair while supposedly waiting for VW to figure out or what would be covered. I eventually just paid for everything out of pocket, including our rental expenses for two months, and class counsel is now on to bigger and better things.

I requested the parts after the "repair," which the dealership refused to give me contrary to CA law. They claimed they had to return them to VW corp. for warranty audit, which VW Corp. corrected them and pointed out they had denied coverage and I was entitled to my parts. They continued to refuse so I contacted California AG who then directed the case to the Automotive Bureau where it has been under investigation for the past year and a half--presumably because of COVID.

When all was said and done and I finally drove away the vehicle indicated it had lost all of its coolant (rather than the slow leak it was taken in for in the first place). I had to take it to a second dealership (who replaced all of the engine covers under good will) but they directed me back to the original dealership because the policy is they all need to handle their own issues since they're "independent." So back we went where they determined to replace all of the oil cooler assembly (begging the question of what they did the first time). This time when we came out of the shop two weeks later it was gushing oil onto the ground so back it went...only this time I point blank told VW Corp my local dealer wasn't touching this vehicle ever again. I had already had a frank conversation with the owner where I pointed out he wasn't leaving me any recourse other than to file a lawsuit against him. His response was to write me a "two free oil changes" on the back of his business card and "hoped that'd help, buddy." It didn't. I haven't decided if I want to waste my time in court for a few thousand bucks but I still have a few months to decide. He did tell me, "this is why I don't even want to touch the TDIs. These stupid warranties and all the problems associated with him," which is not an uncommon stance based on my interactions with other dealerships during the 2.0 timeframe, of which I owned three. My take is that VW was pressed into the settlement and the dealerships would like nothing more than if they simply stopped existing or wrecked themselves off the road. It's a long shot whether the techs in the back know anything about diesels--some do, most don't, and good experiences seem to be few and far between. Doesn't mean one can't find a good shop, but it does mean anecdotes don't really provide a good idea of what's going on out there. My experiences are laid out in detail in various other threads where the issue was relevant to my experience and I'm certainly not alone. But since you asked, well here's more of the story because it certainly didn't end there:

So after it's pouring out oil I flat asked the regional manager who their best TDI service center was in SoCal. Not that any of them are "bad," of course, but which one gets the least amount of complaints and returns? Received a short list and went to one of them. Service manager knew exactly what was going on, literally drove two hours to pick the Treg up, and then drove 2 hours to return it after they replaced the main seal (the apparent source of the oil leak at that point in time). Knew enough to explain why he believes the engine starts rattly even though he and I disagree on whether it's a problem. I think that's fair--two people can reasonably differ on whether something needs to be fixed but that's night and day from getting a blank stare from a newbie tech saying, "well, sir, diesels are just noisy." or "cars just burn oil, that's normal, they just do."

That last juicy bit of wisdom came from Friday's visit to try and diagnose why I can't hold a quart of oil in between 5K intervals. The wetness into the turbo has been deemed "seepage," which is not covered under warranty according to this tech unless the oil is actively dripping onto the ground (a criteria I can't find anywhere in the original paperwork nor the dieselgate settlement). They also initially refused to fill the DEF, not in 30 minutes--no, not at all, and challenged me with "are you a lawyer" but got shut down real quickly when I informed him of my bona fides, which did generate some chuckles from other customers standing there watch the new service manager (not the helpful one from last year) puff his chest out at me and finally tell me he'd do me a "favor" even though the settlement leaves it up to the "choice" of the dealerships.

Now I'm sitting on about $1K of filters, fluids, and parts so I can put it on my lift and change everything out and list this on CL and make sure I only sell it to an enthusiast that I can spell out the repairs who won't be afraid to pick up from where VW left off. As for me, it's my wife's car so we bought an ID4 on Friday while that prick was accusing me of trying to scam him out of $8 dollars of DEF.

In any case, I love VW vehicles but their dealership network leaves much to be desired and I am not a voice in the wilderness in regards to that opinion. Have driven and wrenched on VWs exclusively for decades and before that raced BMWs so I've had many, many, many years and encounters to understand the difference between what's written on paper and what can be enforced. Like I initially wrote, I didn't say the warranty was worthless I said it was hit or miss.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sounds more like a Dealer issue than a warranty issue. I'd have gotten VW customer care involved and taken it to a different dealer at the first denial. Move down the road to a dealer that actually wants the business. I definitely wouldn't have bought a new vehicle from them.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
Yes, that's my whole point. The dealer is the problem...but fulfillment of the warranty depends on the dealer's cooperation. If one doesn't have access to a qualified and cooperative dealer, then the warranty isn't worth a whole lot.

I didn't buy the car from the dealership that created the nightmare situation. I bought it from the dealership that fixed all their issues. Like I said, the current issue is a difference of opinion. It's one thing when the car is dumping oil on the ground and throwing error codes. It's another when it's losing a quart in between 5K intervals, which is noted as "normal" in the manual. I can't say they're definitively wrong about the fact that without an error or obvious signs of oil leakage VW won't green light a teardown of the top end and visual of the turbo. If it's marginal but not failed no warranty is going to cover that until it grenades.

I just thought it was weird the new manager was putting up a fight over the DEF top-off...but he still filled it by the end of the interaction. I'm not going to blackball a dealership over that (and you can't just walk out and go to another for an ID4 1st Edition).

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm only counting my own experience. I had 85K trouble free miles and then the oil cooler issue cropped up and I had to take it into my local dealership who promptly flatly denied it was under any warranty (when it was and still is under the original powertrain warranty), then lost my engine cover and belly sound deadeners, and refused to fill the DEF, refused to honor the printed page from VW telling me to bring it in for an ECU update and that'd I'd be given a loaner during that time, refused to honor the powertrain/AEM warranty for the oil cooler, VW corrected them that my Treg was under both warranties and then finally just told them they'd pay 70% of the repair, which then my local dealer increased the quote they provided to VW so I ended up with a final bill exactly the same amount as before VW offered to pay 70%.

While that was going on, they were holding onto my Treg so class counsel got involved. They started charging me for storage after two months of sitting on the repair while supposedly waiting for VW to figure out or what would be covered. I eventually just paid for everything out of pocket, including our rental expenses for two months, and class counsel is now on to bigger and better things.

I requested the parts after the "repair," which the dealership refused to give me contrary to CA law. They claimed they had to return them to VW corp. for warranty audit, which VW Corp. corrected them and pointed out they had denied coverage and I was entitled to my parts. They continued to refuse so I contacted California AG who then directed the case to the Automotive Bureau where it has been under investigation for the past year and a half--presumably because of COVID.

When all was said and done and I finally drove away the vehicle indicated it had lost all of its coolant (rather than the slow leak it was taken in for in the first place). I had to take it to a second dealership (who replaced all of the engine covers under good will) but they directed me back to the original dealership because the policy is they all need to handle their own issues since they're "independent." So back we went where they determined to replace all of the oil cooler assembly (begging the question of what they did the first time). This time when we came out of the shop two weeks later it was gushing oil onto the ground so back it went...only this time I point blank told VW Corp my local dealer wasn't touching this vehicle ever again. I had already had a frank conversation with the owner where I pointed out he wasn't leaving me any recourse other than to file a lawsuit against him. His response was to write me a "two free oil changes" on the back of his business card and "hoped that'd help, buddy." It didn't. I haven't decided if I want to waste my time in court for a few thousand bucks but I still have a few months to decide. He did tell me, "this is why I don't even want to touch the TDIs. These stupid warranties and all the problems associated with him," which is not an uncommon stance based on my interactions with other dealerships during the 2.0 timeframe, of which I owned three. My take is that VW was pressed into the settlement and the dealerships would like nothing more than if they simply stopped existing or wrecked themselves off the road. It's a long shot whether the techs in the back know anything about diesels--some do, most don't, and good experiences seem to be few and far between. Doesn't mean one can't find a good shop, but it does mean anecdotes don't really provide a good idea of what's going on out there. My experiences are laid out in detail in various other threads where the issue was relevant to my experience and I'm certainly not alone. But since you asked, well here's more of the story because it certainly didn't end there:

So after it's pouring out oil I flat asked the regional manager who their best TDI service center was in SoCal. Not that any of them are "bad," of course, but which one gets the least amount of complaints and returns? Received a short list and went to one of them. Service manager knew exactly what was going on, literally drove two hours to pick the Treg up, and then drove 2 hours to return it after they replaced the main seal (the apparent source of the oil leak at that point in time). Knew enough to explain why he believes the engine starts rattly even though he and I disagree on whether it's a problem. I think that's fair--two people can reasonably differ on whether something needs to be fixed but that's night and day from getting a blank stare from a newbie tech saying, "well, sir, diesels are just noisy." or "cars just burn oil, that's normal, they just do."

That last juicy bit of wisdom came from Friday's visit to try and diagnose why I can't hold a quart of oil in between 5K intervals. The wetness into the turbo has been deemed "seepage," which is not covered under warranty according to this tech unless the oil is actively dripping onto the ground (a criteria I can't find anywhere in the original paperwork nor the dieselgate settlement). They also initially refused to fill the DEF, not in 30 minutes--no, not at all, and challenged me with "are you a lawyer" but got shut down real quickly when I informed him of my bona fides, which did generate some chuckles from other customers standing there watch the new service manager (not the helpful one from last year) puff his chest out at me and finally tell me he'd do me a "favor" even though the settlement leaves it up to the "choice" of the dealerships.

Now I'm sitting on about $1K of filters, fluids, and parts so I can put it on my lift and change everything out and list this on CL and make sure I only sell it to an enthusiast that I can spell out the repairs who won't be afraid to pick up from where VW left off. As for me, it's my wife's car so we bought an ID4 on Friday while that prick was accusing me of trying to scam him out of $8 dollars of DEF.

In any case, I love VW vehicles but their dealership network leaves much to be desired and I am not a voice in the wilderness in regards to that opinion. Have driven and wrenched on VWs exclusively for decades and before that raced BMWs so I've had many, many, many years and encounters to understand the difference between what's written on paper and what can be enforced. Like I initially wrote, I didn't say the warranty was worthless I said it was hit or miss.
Holy hell. I hope you get this sorted. I'm very thankful I have not had these issues at my dealer, ever

·
Registered
161 Posts

Here in Europe we've had nothing in return for VW''s cheating.
The U.S. nitrous oxide emissions standards (EPA) are stricter than Europe's. And California's (CARB) are even stricter yet.

Interestingly, the last few years of the V4 TDIs actually met the EPA limits (without DEF). They were only included in the recall because they exceeded CARB limits. And the TDIs from the last year (2016?) just barely exceeded CARB's limits without DEF. VW's engineers came real close to pulling off a miracle.

I never did find actual emissions numbers for the V6 TDIs, so dunno how badly they exceeded limits. It sounded like they were only in violation while the engine was warming up. And that does seem to be when my engine acts most differently after the fix (hangs on a lot longer to the lower gears while the engine is cold).

Yikes! I'm in SoCal too. Which dealership? So I know to avoid them.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
Yikes! I'm in SoCal too. Which dealership? So I know to avoid them.
You won't accidentally run into them--they're brand new and out in the "nastier" of our deserts. The owner explicitly stated he doesn't want to touch TDIs--not for sale and not for repair work.

The answer to your question is that Imperial Valley VW jacked it up and South Bay cleaned up the mess. That said, South Bay's service manager has since changed (we went in last week) and I didn't leave feeling it was for the better so I will only state that they did right by me then but I am looking for a new service center.

Realistically, I'm either selling the Touareg while it doesn't have any issues and is still under warranty for another two years or I'm just going to forgo the warranty and do any work myself from here on out, like I've done with every other VW I've owned, until the Buzz is released.

I'm changing all the fluids on the Treg now and a big wind storm just blew my oil dump pan over and stained my driveway so it's making me question how much fun I'm really having working on something when the ID4 is just sitting next to the Treg taunting me with it's white steering wheel. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts