Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 2016 TDI with 22k miles on it. Since purchase in July 22', I've put about 8k miles on it. In that time, I've added 2 quarts of oil. The low oil light actually came on the other day it was so low. The first time I added a quart I just happened to check the level before a trip and saw that it was low. How much oil is this motor expected to consume typically? I previously owned a 2015 TDI Sportwagen, it also consumed some oil between changes but not this much.

· Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,451 Posts
Not according to VW on this side of the pond.
Most manufacturers use 1 litre per 1,000 miles as the threshold of high oil consumption - but to most people that's way too high for comfort - I use 1 litre per 10,000 miles as a threshold, fortunately my Touareg uses much less than that.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Most manufacturers use 1 litre per 1,000 miles as the threshold of high oil consumption - but to most people that's way too high for comfort - I use 1 litre per 10,000 miles as a threshold, fortunately my Touareg uses much less than that.
As per my prior mentions, it is a documented thing in our manuals on this side of the pond.

· Registered
09 TDi
1,117 Posts
I think every mfg says oil consumption is normal in the range of 1qt/1000 miles but I'd never accept that as gospel. My TDi burns zero during its 5k mi OCI w 114k on the engine.

One possibility here is that with only 22k the rings are not fully worn in to seal. Another possibility is a bad valve seal. we also don't have a baseline here to confirm actual consumption but 1 qt/4K is not horrible. I burn that much in my Porsche where it IS normal but if it was my T2 I'd dive deeper.

Reactions: jrsavoie

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
One possibility here is that with only 22k the rings are not fully worn in to seal. Another possibility is a bad valve seal.
This is more than likely a factor. Remember, this thing only had 14k on it and then probably sat parked for 4 years or longer..... people get all horny for the low mileage, but having an engine sit for that kid of period without prep, regular turning over, etc. is not good for it.

If I owned it, I'd beat on it like it wasn't mine so that it would increase consumption or break while still in warranty.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
This is more than likely a factor. Remember, this thing only had 14k on it and then probably sat parked for 4 years or longer..... people get all horny for the low mileage, but having an engine sit for that kid of period without prep, regular turning over, etc. is not good for it.

If I owned it, I'd beat on it like it wasn't mine so that it would increase consumption or break while still in warranty.
Yep fully agreed

· Registered
09 TDi
1,117 Posts
I didn't even factor in the down time. According to my concierge Porsche tech who worked for VW when the **** show started, they were supposed to keep the tdis "active" but most didn't. VW also lost a LOT of diesel trained techs during that phase.

mine got a new battery when they did the fix, then sat at the airport another year and change before rolling through 2 dealer auctions. By the time I bought it, the battery was on its last legs.

· Registered
3,811 Posts
Steve

I had a Beemer that I bought used at two years old and 16,000 miles that seemed to be using oil.

It's first owner was city based so I think the car possibly didn't do much high speed mileage.

At 20,000 miles the dealer changed the oil and filter, checked the level was spot on max, and then told me to drive it like I stole it for 1,000 miles before bringing it back to check the usage.

Over the next 120,000 miles it never used oil again between services!

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Steve

I had a Beemer that I bought used at two years old and 16,000 miles that seemed to be using oil.

It's first owner was city based so I think the car possibly didn't do much high speed mileage.

At 20,000 miles the dealer changed the oil and filter, checked the level was spot on max, and then told me to drive it like I stole it for 1,000 miles before bringing it back to check the usage.

Over the next 120,000 miles it never used oil again between services!
Makes sense. City driving won't get temps up enough, causes carbon on the rings; carbon means blow by and oil consumption

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,905 Posts
Carbon buildup plagues direct injection gassers also and will result in oil blow-by.
I ordered FTC decarbonizer from Australia which should be delivered tomorrow.
I'm going to run it to see if it'll de-carbon the engine and help with the blow-by.
Has anyone else on here heard of it/tried it?

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,957 Posts
Just as a data point, my Cayenne TDI with 225000 miles does not require any oil in between oil changes(5K miles). It will drop from full to at most 1/8-1/4 of the gauge from max to min.
Please post a picture of your owners manual on this subject.
I can't imagine that Porsche tells you that you don't need to do anything if the oil level has dropped to 1/8 of the indicated normal level.
Font Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget Screenshot

(A): Do not add any oil
(B): Oil may be added (about 1 pint / 0.5 liter).
(C): You must add oil (about 1 quart / 1.0 liter)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts