Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2016 MY17 V6 TDI Canyon Gray Metallic
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to remove the grille so I can mod the air filter inlet to eliminate well reduce the likely hood of water ingression, but am having great difficulty trying to locate the lower retaining tabs. I did once find a page in one of the manuals or perhaps even off this site with the tab locations. I have purchased some plastic paint /putty scraper type tools that I intend to cut down in width. Can anyone assist with the width dimension that I have to reduce the tools to and also where I can locate the info regarding the location measurements of the tabs. I have looked in Elsa win and also my downloaded pdf Manuals and, on this site but can't seem to find it, thanks in advance
Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Auto part

Registered
Watching this with interest, the very same task defeated me many times and still does 馃槦
I am pretty sure I found the tabs and an normal kitchen (butter knife) is about the size.
Location is about 5cm from the outer edge of the grille ( insert and slide towards the headlight until you feel the tab assembly)
But this is where I failed repeatedly to release the tab 馃槦
Others will tell you use more force, clearly I was not prepared to be brutal enough?

Registered
2007 Touareg tdi, air suspension, etc
Disclaimer, don't own this model and am only going on the illustration posted. It looks to me like you need to push down on the tab from above, so can you see / access the tabs looking down from the top?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watching this with interest, the very same task defeated me many times and still does 馃槦
I am pretty sure I found the tabs and an normal kitchen (butter knife) is about the size.
Location is about 5cm from the outer edge of the grille ( insert and slide towards the headlight until you feel the tab assembly)
But this is where I failed repeatedly to release the tab 馃槦
Others will tell you use more force, clearly I was not prepared to be brutal enough?
I think there are a number of securing tabs see below.

Disclaimer, don't own this model and am only going on the illustration posted. It looks to me like you need to push down on the tab from above, so can you see / access the tabs looking down from the top?
Yes that appears to be true however there are as I understand it 4 on each side of the grill I found this somewhere not sure where but it gives no measurements
Slope Rectangle Urban design Parallel Font

Registered
2015 MY16 Touareg 180kw Pure White
I had the same challenge (like everyone else) ... but once you get the first tab moved ... the rest sort of follow.

Here is a photo I took when I first got the grill out ... so others can see the measurement of the first tab which should help you out.

Here it is ... good luck !

Reactions: gatkins

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same challenge (like everyone else) ... but once you get the first tab moved ... the rest sort of follow.

Here is a photo I took when I first got the grill out ... so others can see the measurement of the first tab which should help you out.

Here it is ... good luck !

Thank you - I shall try that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is of any value, I detailed my grille removal ordeal here:

Thanks for such an informative post

Registered
See the attached photos and accompanying write up (see Grille section) that I wrote for another forum member for the exact location on the 2016 TDI.

GRILLE
  • Remove four (4) screws from top of grille.
  • Apply tape to top of bumper cover (slide under grille as far as possible).
  • Measure and mark tape as shown in photos.
  • Apply generous amount of PB Dry Lube at each mark.
  • Insert approximately four (4) zip ties at the first four (4) marks on the end that you remove first (the zip ties will release the grille tabs).
  • Insert 90 degree hook tool between headlight and grille approximately one (1) inch above bumper cover.
  • Give hook tool a short sharp tug to release/remove grille.

Grille Car Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire

Grille Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts