Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am not new to Touaregs and have owned 2 in the past (prior to 2010) and am currently driving the new 2019 Diesel R-Line model in Germany as a company vehicle (awesome SUV by the way).
Work is now moving me back to the states (Indiana) in October, and I would like to buy either a V6 2016 Luxury or 2017 Wolfsburg model towards the end of the year. The executive version is also an option and actually very appealing. I would prefer a CPO vehicle (with less than 20K and max 30K miles) since it would give me some tranquility of having a manufacturers warranty (or am I wrong here and a after market warranty is the better choice ?).

Which model is the better option as far as technology as well as gadgets and interior ? The 2016 or 2017 ? What are advantages and disadvantages, and what should I look out for ? What about fair price ranges ? Is the Executive version worth the higher price tag ?
I know those are a lot of questions, but it seems that this forum is the right place to ask. ;)

Thanks,
Ulf

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's little difference between 2016 and 2017 of the same Trim. Some 2016s seem to be carry-over 2015's though- the easiest way to spot the difference is to look for Ventilated seats on Lux and Exec which were introduced on the 2016 MY. Driver Assistance package was also standard on Lux in 2016.
If you want to stick with Diesel, they were discontinued in the US for 2017, so you'd be looking for a 2016.
Exec adds a couple fetures, such as overhead 360* view, DynAudio, rear seat heaters, 20" wheels, and powered steering column adjust. Everything else is the same between a Lux and Exec.
In Indiana, you may have a tough time finding one- you may have to look out of state in Illinois or Wisconsin. AutoTrader.com is probably your best resource for finding one- TrueCar and Carvana can be helpful if the buying experience is more important.
Wolfsburgs are pretty de-featured, to my taste. Low mile VR-6 FSI examples can be had for as low as $30k, maybe even lower if it's been sitting a while. TDIs generally fetch a premium, anywhere from $5k-$10K in my experience, depending on miles and condition. If you can find a TDI new (Don't hold your breath) expect to get $10K-$12K knocked off the MSRP sticker. Used, low miles you're looking at $35K-$45K, pls or minus a couple K. If the numbers you're seeing are above that range, put on your negotiating hat and get them down. If they're below that number, start poking around and figuring out why. They may not be the fastest movers on the lot, but they will move for those numbers, so if the number is low, there's a problem with the vehicle. The de-contented/carryover 2016s are usually a K or two lower in price.
PM me or respond here if you are interested in the fine details- I can send you a Dropbox link to the different year Brochures in PDF form which will show all the differences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RocketTech. Awesome reply.
I would be looking for a CPO Gas V6. Mainly because of the price. Unfortunately I have seen prices all over the board. But a low mileage (below 10k) 2017 Wolfsburg Edition around $30k to $32k sounds doable. For higher mileage >20k miles it should be below $30k or am I dead wrong? I am talking about CPO Touaregs.
As far as location, it really doesn't matter. I could ship the vehicle or drive it home. What matters is the condition and right vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I forgot is to ask about holding its value. Are they dropping like flies each year or should they slow down considering they have almost dropped 50% already? I know it depends on a lot of factors and if trading in you get robbed even if I keep the mileage low (probably don't drive over 8k miles per year), I don't want to spend $32k and the following year it drops $8k in value.
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm most familiar on the pricing for the Diesels as I just helped a guy go through the same thing. There's three CPO Execs on AutoTrader right now, one in TX for $33.9K and the pics are actually of a '16 Lux, 18.3 K miles. An actual Exec in NY with 39K miles for $34.8K, and the third in WI with 47k miles for $34K- no pics.
I'd say there's room to go down on all of them- try and make their asking price the delivered to your dour price, and you'd be about right. They're asking too high on all of them, which is common.
The CPO is actually a pretty good warranty- bumper-bumper for 2 years iirc, so that adds something. Factory warranty is 3/36 Bumper-Bumper and 10/100 powertrain, so you can get into some weird valuations depending on the mix of warranties. CPO kicks in when the factory warranty ends, so you could, depending on First Title date, wind up with a 5-year bumper-bumper warranty. The warranty available, more than anything else (assuming otherwise similar) is going to affect the most. Don't forget, you can get NEW 2017 Exec Touareg for ~$40K if you're not in a hurry and willing to dicker. A new Touareg sitting on the lot is going to hurt the dealer alot more than a used one. New Touaregs are no longer eligible for lease or any other Promos, and by now, it's eating into the dealer's line of credit. Don't let the asking price scare you away from the table- they'll come down if you're serious. If they don't, there's other options out there.

As far as holding value... I'm not as sure on the gassers. The TDIs tend to hold their value. It's a complex performance luxury SUV with a VW logo on the front. They never did well in the US because people didn't want to pay $50K +/- for a VW logo, when they could get a Lexus, Bimmer, or MB for similar money. The Touareg has a lower TCO and higher reliability than the Bimmer and MB, not sure against the Lexus SUVs. I think most buy them because they like them and plan to hang on to them.
It's not going to drop 400% in a year. Buying used CPO is going to depreciate like a normal used car; better until the CPO runs out. Barring super-high mileage and everything not working, I think it will depreciate normally. The big hit was rolling off the lot; from now on it's normal wear and tear and impending repair bills that set the value. I think the problem come trade-in time is the low demand. It may also be high-mileage because you'll want to drive it EVERYWHERE lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
RocketTech
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing