Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport w/Tech
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Treg 3.6 gas and I love this vehicle more than anything. The only thing I don't love are the fact that the ONLY bulbs on the outside of the car that are not LED or HID are the front turn signals. I keep searching for an LED bulb fitment, but I'm not having any luck. I've searched through the forums and most of the folks that have changed their bulbs are on older model Tregs which doesn't translate to the year/model I have. The bulb itself comes on a carriage which tells me an LED would also need to be attached to a similar carriage. I've attached a couple of photos of the bulb, turn signal on, and my Treg just because it's sexy. Any ideas/input/help would be fantastic!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good looking Treg. I was curious about the same thing as you. Finding a LED bulb. Was it easy to get the bulb out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good looking Treg. I was curious about the same thing as you. Finding a LED bulb. Was it easy to get the bulb out?
Very easy to get out and put back in. Of course VW says there aren't any replacements available, but they also want to charge $40 for one halogen bulb haha

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ask and receive

This is all the LED for your Touareg

This is specifically the front blinker

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately that doesn't actually fit. I've got the same ones at home already and without the plastic carrier that the halogen comes in it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to take out back out tomorrow and get a couple more photos and post them after.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,215 Posts
I did some checking and it looks like the "bulb" looks like the picture below when removed from the second mounting plastic adapter (in your first pic). I'm wondering if the bulb itself is a wedge type that gets pushed into the first adapter (in pic below). Part# N10776303. I searched around for a CanBus ready LED replacement and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It should be a WY21W. A wedge type push in. There are lots of options for LED replacements. Most require load resistors to avoid hyper flash but there are a few new options that have the load built in. It may even be possible to code in VCDS the led bulbs to not hyper flash. This guy is adding amber turn signals but also touches on coding the hyper flash. I am not brave enough to try it yet!!
(8) Touareg LED Tail Lights with Amber Signals 2011-2014 - How to MOD - YouTube

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When replacing blinker bulbs don't forget you need a fresh can of blinker fluid. It does last longer with LEDs of course.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It should be a WY21W. A wedge type push in. There are lots of options for LED replacements. Most require load resistors to avoid hyper flash but there are a few new options that have the load built in. It may even be possible to code in VCDS the led bulbs to not hyper flash. This guy is adding amber turn signals but also touches on coding the hyper flash. I am not brave enough to try it yet!
(8) Touareg LED Tail Lights with Amber Signals 2011-2014 - How to MOD - YouTube
I've been watching this as well, but do not have the cajones to make this decision! I'd love to have rear amber turns as well honestly. LED of course! Maybe I'll look into some of the coding he's done to see what may translate. Thanks for bringing this back into the forefront!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have been looking at UK spec but for USA spec it may be a PWY24 type. Ebay UK has a few LED options for either so still an easy enough upgrade.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You might be able to pull the bulb out of the wedge and stick the LED in there, just don't pull TOO hard

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,168 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the current bulb. Looks like it is in fact PWY24W bulb. Found a supposed 'error free' LED replacement that wasn't very expensive ($30 USD for both). Once they come in I'll try it out and see what happens. I do have load resistors already that I'll use should an issue pop up. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

They have high quality LEDs. I've had their switch back fog lights that I've been running every night for over 4 years at hours at a time and never once had an issue.

I've used them for other vehicle applications in the past and never had much of an issue first. I didn't even think to go this route, but that's a great suggestion. Thanks! I only wish their website would show a photo of the bulb. I'll reach out and see if they can send over a photo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
HI JVjersey. Thanks for being kind enough to photo that bulb and post it. Its not an easy process to get the right bulb. This is helpful. I guess dimensions may be an issue as well with the housing. Not sure how long the leds can be. Do you have a link to the ones your ordered? I sure hope they work for you. Look forward to hearing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went cheap and convenience for sure.

If they don't work, I'm out $25 so no big loss. If they do, then I've got the right type of bulb and I can seek out something more expensive/useful. I'm not expecting a lot from an Amazon purchase, but hey for $25 you can't have too high of expectations. I've emailed deautoLED as well to get their help/photos as well. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for all of the input!

·
Registered
04 V8 T1
1,168 Posts
I've used them for other vehicle applications in the past and never had much of an issue first. I didn't even think to go this route, but that's a great suggestion. Thanks! I only wish their website would show a photo of the bulb. I'll reach out and see if they can send over a photo.

Thanks!
No prob, Theres a photo of one working with a ****ty night shot on their website, can't tell much but at least you see that it works for the T3. But Their customer service isn't the best so don't expect much, I'm sure you can see my thread on LED reverse lights for the T1 Touaregs. They tried to help but customer service wasn't understanding what was going on lmao.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Reactions: Touaregman33
1 - 20 of 25 Posts