Club Touareg Forum banner

2016 brakes & rotors

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TurboABA 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have the 2016 TDI Touareg 66k miles and this morning the brake warning light came on. I know I need an inspection to determine full scope of repairs. Looking to set my expectations.
How likely will I need front and rear brakes? Is it more likely I need the fronts or rears? How likely will I need the rotors resurface vs replaced?

Due to the year of car do I need to go to the dealer or can a regular mechanic type shop handle the repair? Current dealer has struggled with the computer resetting when they top off my AdBlu so I know the car can be persnickety.

There is no way we will do the repair ourselves, no tools and not the right skill sets.

I am not a regular hard breaking driver. I drive surface roads and highway daily but not a lot of stop/go traffic.

thanks!

#2 ·
You should be able to get away with just pads if you've just triggered your warning..... the dealer will more than likely scare you into a $2.5k+ all around repair saying that all pads and rotors need to be replaced..... I'd suggest finding a reputable independent shop who won't take you to the cleaners..... unfortunately, due to your lack of skill\knowledge, you're susceptible to whatever they feed you unless you know just enough to call BS on them.

Typically, these rotors don't have much extra material on them, so resurfacing is rarely an option.

Based on all of that, get ready for a significant repair bill.
If you find a decent shop, you should be able to just replace the pads for a couple of hundreds.

#3 ·
You cannot skim Touareg rotors as they do not have enough spare meat on them before they are undersize.

Any good workshop can do your brakes.

The first thing to do is to establish which pads have worn out.

Then measure the thickness of the rotors to see if they have enough service life left to take another set of pads.

However, at 66K you do probably need to replace both rotors and pads and the wear sensors too.

For optimum braking performance all four corners should be done together.

Personally I would check all four rotors and pads and make an informed decision on doing one axle or both when I know the wear tolerances of the existing rotors and pads.

You have a bit of time to choose your workshop and your options.

As above, dealers often charge crazy prices.

#6 ·
So true... LOL My wife went through a set of pads within 30K miles. She has a digital foot, on or off.

Dealer quoted $1500 for rotors and pads on all 4 corners. I did it myself, buying the parts from the dealer (with some discounts), and saved the labor cost since it is so easy to do on this car. The sensor wires are really expensive for what they are. Try not to break the good ones when taking out of the pads and reuse them.

#14 ·
Hi, my brake light came on at around 65K kilometers, my regular VW service guy said they would be still good for another 5K kilometers. I finally got them serviced at 70K, and turned out I only needed front pads/rotors. Am now up to 78K kilometers with the original back set still in place.

#15 ·
Front rotors new 32mm rear 28mm with a 2 mm wear limit
or a little less than 0.080" from 1.259" front and 1.10" rear.
Wear limit front - 1.181"
Wear limit rear - 1.02"
Decide if you want them resurfaced or not as long as you are within the specs.
Personally I always thought that minor scoring made little difference in operations
I would not worry about resurfacing either as long as you are within specifications.
By the way 1 mm is equal to about 0.039"

#16 ·
I won't comment for the t3/t4, but the t1/t2 rotors are hard to reuse. Brembo just puts enough meat on the rotors that when paired with their (pagid) brake pads, both are supposed to wear out together.

Measuring the thickness of the rotor is the real way to find out what options you may have. Just don't be surprised if the rotors are worn out.
___

If we start debating which brands of brakes are good and bad... we can turn this thread into a Jerry Springer episode. (people are yelling and chairs are flying) LOLZ!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.