Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I had my engine ECM remapped just before Christmas and am extremely happy with the results. Power is up by 16% and torque is up by 27%. I've driven about 3,000 kms with the new tune with about 2,000 kms of that on highway (100 kmph) and the rest around the city.

I also had the EGR "deleted" from the new tune, so while it is physically still there it is now non operational. As far as the ECM is concerned, it doesn't know it's there so no fault codes will appear. Being a low KM vehicle it should negate any issues down the track from the EGR putting crap back in the engine.

I could have had the DPF deleted too, but decided against that at this point in time, because it would have required major surgery to the DPF to gut its contents.

Comments so far:
* The engine is much quieter at idle and light throttle
* The transmission holds gears a lot longer before changing back
* Torque is noticeably better
* Fuel economy should be better, but that wasn't a primary reason for the remap

Having previously owned a 2011 150TDI and a 2015 TDI (180), I'm more than happy with the outcome.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the post Andrew.

Is this something you did yourself, or is this a commercially available procedure?

Is this different than "chipping" the engine, as we say here in the US?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Andrew I'm doing remaps in the Albury Wodonga area and we are also getting a great response from customers, you may want to think about removing the DPF also as turning off the EGR only can reduce the DPF life. The other advantage of a DPF removal is improving fuel economy due to no regen burns and no oil dilution from the burn.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hi Andrew I'm doing remaps in the Albury Wodonga area and we are also getting a great response from customers, you may want to think about removing the DPF also as turning off the EGR only can reduce the DPF life. The other advantage of a DPF removal is improving fuel economy due to no regen burns and no oil dilution from the burn.

Are you doing generic remaps or do you do maps in conjunction with a dyno run?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drag, remaps are a computer file , the same engine and the same map produces the same results, Dino graphs give you a graphic of what's changed, with of course many variables temp, atmospheric pressure humidity, Dyno etc. I can give you a dyno graph if required a custom tune if required or a tried and proven map that gets the same result every time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ennisauto
I made the decision not to do the DPF delete at this stage until the vehicle is out of warranty. I figure I have a bit of time up my sleeve with the DPF, whereas I see doing the EGR delete ASAP has imeadiate benifits to the engine and for the long term. The other factor with not doing the DPF at the same time is I was ready to perform surgery on gutting the DPF.
My tune was not a generic tune, and was tuned very much to what I requested. We did have to water the down the initial tune because the torque was too high with possibility of damaging the transmission, so ended up with what i have now and I am extremely happy with it
I've done about 6,000kms in the pass 2 months with no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Drag, remaps are a computer file , the same engine and the same map produces the same results, Dino graphs give you a graphic of what's changed, with of course many variables temp, atmospheric pressure humidity, Dyno etc. I can give you a dyno graph if required a custom tune if required or a tried and proven map that gets the same result every time.
I am fully aware of the remap procedure.
What i am saying while I am a huge fan of ECU remaps over the far more generic tune chips eg DP, Tunis, etc. I am also a firm believer that while 2 identical cars will seem to behave identically with the off the rack remap for me the ultimate is done in conjunction with a dyno run to check and see the affect on boost, AFR, EGT's how the turbo reacts and controls the initial overboost when asked to deliver. Interesting to see how the torque and horsepower curves look and fine tuning can be done.
Comment on the DPF delete it should be removal of the canister an a straight thru pipe to replace it a as gas flows don't like expanding into a void then recompressing again back into a parallel pipe.
Still respect remap tuning and am sure you do great work if you are getting good feedback from customers.
Regards
Drag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts